PDA

View Full Version : Fasted Cardio

Diana
05-02-2006, 05:34 AM
What is the benefit, if any, of fasted cardio? Is there truth behind the belief that it will help you to lean out faster/better/more efficiently?

strongchick
05-02-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Diana@May 2 2006, 05:34 AM
What is the benefit, if any, of fasted cardio? Is there truth behind the belief that it will help you to lean out faster/better/more efficiently?
I read a post by Alan Aragon on this:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...t=fasted+cardio (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747976&highlight=fasted+cardio)

Pandora
05-02-2006, 05:15 PM
There seems to be quite a division out there on this topic. Some people swear by it and some laugh at it.

There's a lot of literature out there to read for and against each side. I have always felt that it works well for me when I need to lean down. I normally do HIIT types workouts, but enjoy fasted steady state. To me, it just feels good, so it may be psychological more than anything else.

Right now, I'm not doing any fasted cardio at all. In the end, though, I'm not sure that fasted cardio makes a difference at all in fat loss.

Amy
05-02-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by strongchick@May 2 2006, 08:16 AM

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.p...t=fasted+cardio (http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=747976&highlight=fasted+cardio)
SC, that is a great read. I just finished reading all of Alan's article/post.

Do you recal any mention of what type of pre-cardio food to eat? I skimmed through a few pages following, but didn't see any mention (if you remember it being there - I will keep looking - the whole thread was about 15 pages long).

Or, a question for here, what should be a pre-am cardio meal. I know P+C, but is there a reason for P+C, or can it just be a Carb source?

strongchick
05-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Amy+May 2 2006, 05:40 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Amy @ May 2 2006, 05:40 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-strongchick@May 2 2006, 08:16 AM

SC, that is a great read. I just finished reading all of Alan&#39;s article/post.

Do you recal any mention of what type of pre-cardio food to eat? I skimmed through a few pages following, but didn&#39;t see any mention (if you remember it being there - I will keep looking - the whole thread was about 15 pages long).

Or, a question for here, what should be a pre-am cardio meal. I know P+C, but is there a reason for P+C, or can it just be a Carb source? [/b][/quote]
Yes.

As I recall, just try to get a little protein at least. some people can&#39;t stomach that much food prior to cardio, but a protein shake would be fine.

I would have PC rather than just C. I&#39;m not sure how catabolic cardio REALLY is, but better safe than sorry.

Amy
05-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by strongchick+May 2 2006, 01:55 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (strongchick @ May 2 2006, 01:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Amy@May 2 2006, 05:40 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-strongchick@May 2 2006, 08:16 AM
I read a post by Alan Aragon on this:*

SC, that is a great read. I just finished reading all of Alan&#39;s article/post.

Do you recal any mention of what type of pre-cardio food to eat? I skimmed through a few pages following, but didn&#39;t see any mention (if you remember it being there - I will keep looking - the whole thread was about 15 pages long).

Or, a question for here, what should be a pre-am cardio meal. I know P+C, but is there a reason for P+C, or can it just be a Carb source?
Yes.

As I recall, just try to get a little protein at least. some people can&#39;t stomach that much food prior to cardio, but a protein shake would be fine.

I would have PC rather than just C. I&#39;m not sure how catabolic cardio REALLY is, but better safe than sorry. [/b][/quote]
Thanks SC,

What do you think about just adding protein to coffee.... :unsure:

collegegirl
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
All I have to say is that I eat first thing when I get up. I don&#39;t think I could do fasted cardio.

ShaliHead
05-03-2006, 12:46 AM
I kind of do fasted cardio, I do it late in the afternoon a few hours after one of my meals. Does that count?

Shali

krispy1138
05-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by collegegirl@May 2 2006, 08:31 PM
All I have to say is that I eat first thing when I get up. I don&#39;t think I could do fasted cardio.
I started doing it about a month ago and it was very rough (I, too, am very hungry in the morning and eat right away). I&#39;m still doing it, but since I&#39;m at maintenance right now I haven&#39;t seen any results. I&#39;m curious to see what happens when I go below maintenance again.

jrb1980
05-03-2006, 03:18 AM
Can I clarify whether we are talking about fasted SS cardio or fasted HITT/Hills type cardio here.

Erik
05-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 2 2006, 11:18 PM
Fasted HITT/Hills type cardio here.
That&#39;s a bad idea.

jrb1980
05-03-2006, 03:26 AM
I know - which is why I asked for clarification. I wish it were a good idea though - I like fasted cardio :mad:

jill
07-08-2006, 12:19 AM
Bumping....

Anyone else with opinions/results?

For the life of me I cannot do fasted cardio-I have tried on several occasions. I feel like I am gonna barf, and my stomach growls WAY too much-it hurts.

I usually have whey/ew&#39;s, or cottage cheese and sf yogurt.

GqArtguy
07-08-2006, 12:36 AM
The idea revolves around the theory that if your glycogen stores are low from an overnight fast then your body is more likely to go after stored bodyfat for energy.

The problem is that in order to get your levels to very low odepleted state, you would have to be low- or no carbing. And if you&#39;re low or no carbing, then your glycogen is always low, and you can do your cardio later in the day when you feel like complete ass.

Erik
07-08-2006, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by GqArtguy@Jul 7 2006, 08:36 PM
The idea revolves around the theory that if your glycogen stores are low from an overnight fast then your body is more likely to go after stored bodyfat for energy.

The problem is that in order to get your levels to very low odepleted state, you would have to be low- or no carbing. And if you&#39;re low or no carbing, then your glycogen is always low, and you can do your cardio later in the day when you feel like complete ass.
It&#39;s still irrelevant even given that.

What you buring during activity doesn&#39;t matter provided you&#39;re expending energy and creating the required deficit.

Want to do it fasted? Do it fasted. Don&#39;t want to? Don&#39;t.

You&#39;re good to go with whatever you want.

GqArtguy
07-08-2006, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by Thunder+Jul 7 2006, 07:42 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder @ Jul 7 2006, 07:42 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GqArtguy@Jul 7 2006, 08:36 PM

It&#39;s still irrelevant even given that.

What you buring during activity doesn&#39;t matter provided you&#39;re expending energy and creating the required deficit.
[/b][/quote]
Oh I agree with that. I was just pointing out some rationalle as to why its retarded rather than just flat out saying its retarded :p

lchristine100
07-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I&#39;ve seen no benefit personaly from fasted cardio. Plus, I can only do it for about 30 minutes before I am starving. I find if I get up an hour before I run I have a much better run versus if I dont eat. That is just my opinion though ;)

Patricia
07-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Diana@May 2 2006, 12:34 AM
I only do fasted cardio when I have eaten bad the day before....Only because if I eat anything before I get really bad heartburn. :blink: