PDA

View Full Version : Semi Body 3-day Split

Leah
05-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Just wondering what ya'll think of this type of split :)

It seems to me that no matter how many days you have, when your program is split between vertical and horizontal planes...your back gets double the work and sometimes even triple....and your horizontal pressing gets far less :shrug:

Looking at this, you could get around that I suppose by using dips for your vertical press on friday, which is considered a vertical press I believe...but obviously hits chest better than any other vertical press.

Monday

Quad Dominant (Squating and variations)
Low Back (Good Mornings)
Vertical Pulling (Chins, etc.)
Abs

Wednesday

Horizontal Pushing (Benching)
Horizontal Pulling (Rowing)
Triceps

Friday

Hip Dominant (Deadlifts and variations)
Vertical Pushing (Shoulder Press)
Biceps
Abs

ReneeG
05-16-2006, 02:25 PM
That's a really good idea. What if you did push press instead of shoulder press and added lateral raise or incline lateral raises on Friday?
And when you benched, would you do just one exercise or have flat and incline?
Last question: Instead of heavy/light within a week would you then just have a heavy week with bbs and then a light week using dbs?

PowerManDL
05-16-2006, 05:05 PM
It's not that tricky to balance it across three days.

Firstly, I think people worry way too much about the vertical/horizontal balance. It's just not an issue over the short term. Over a training career, yes. But as long as the summation of work is balanced, it's not that critical from week to week.

Secondly, just from practical considerations, I'd look at what's going on at the shoulder joint, since that's where the issues arise from imbalance (from a health standpoint, not necessarily aesthetic).

Again to wank on the 5x5, two of the three days are oriented towards one exercise (squat, bench/incline, barbell row) with the third given over to others (dl, military/push press, pullups). It could just as easily work the other way.

As long as some work for all of it is being thrown in any given microcycle, I don't see a need to obsess over making it perfectly balanced. You can always devote a few phases to bringing up any weaknesses that may develop anyway. Thus the beauty of conjugate training.

Strive2Define
05-16-2006, 05:07 PM
What substitutions could you use for good mornings and chinups(assisted machine?)

ReneeG
05-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Instead of assisted machine, go for negatives.
Add weight to your negatives when you are ready.

shell
05-17-2006, 03:09 AM
This looks rather easy and clear. (something that I could do :clap: ) I like it. However, I thought that it is good to train each muscle twice a week, so wouldn't, the legs be left behind, because we'd only be training hams once and quads once? Or am i completly thinking to hard into it. :uuhh:

shell
05-17-2006, 03:11 AM
Also, would it only be one excercise for each category? What kinda rep schemes would you use for each day? Sorry, Im just really interested in this split. :)

Leah
05-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by shell@May 16 2006, 11:09 PM
This looks rather easy and clear. (something that I could do :clap: ) I like it. However, I thought that it is good to train each muscle twice a week, so wouldn't, the legs be left behind, because we'd only be training hams once and quads once? Or am i completly thinking to hard into it. :uuhh:
Well I addressed that w/ the dips. The legs...just because one is hip or quad dominant doesn't mean you can't do the other. Hams are getting worked w/ the GM's and the DL's. Quads you could throw in lunges on the other day

Leah
05-17-2006, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@May 16 2006, 01:07 PM
What substitutions could you use for good mornings and chinups(assisted machine?)
Single leg back extension? Pull throughs?

shell
05-17-2006, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Leah@May 16 2006, 10:17 PM
Well I addressed that w/ the dips. The legs...just because one is hip or quad dominant doesn't mean you can't do the other. Hams are getting worked w/ the GM's and the DL's. Quads you could throw in lunges on the other day
I get it. So is this something you are going to try or were you just trying to think of variations in splits?

Leah
05-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by shell@May 16 2006, 11:11 PM
Also, would it only be one excercise for each category? What kinda rep schemes would you use for each day? Sorry, Im just really interested in this split. :)
yeah...I dunno...on the surface it looks like a good split but then I can't seem to make it work :dry:

Leah
05-17-2006, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by shell@May 16 2006, 11:31 PM
I get it. So is this something you are going to try or were you just trying to think of variations in splits?
I've done it before actually

shell
05-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Leah@May 16 2006, 07:40 AM
Just wondering what ya'll think of this type of split :)

It seems to me that no matter how many days you have, when your program is split between vertical and horizontal planes...your back gets double the work and sometimes even triple....and your horizontal pressing gets far less :shrug:

Looking at this, you could get around that I suppose by using dips for your vertical press on friday, which is considered a vertical press I believe...but obviously hits chest better than any other vertical press.

Monday

Quad Dominant (Squating and variations)
Low Back (Good Mornings)
Vertical Pulling (Chins, etc.)
Abs

Wednesday

Horizontal Pushing (Benching)
Horizontal Pulling (Rowing)
Triceps

Friday

Hip Dominant (Deadlifts and variations)
Vertical Pushing (Shoulder Press)
Biceps
Abs
So could this work?

Week 1
Mon- Heavy
Wed- Light
Fri- Heavy

Week 2
Mon-light
Wed- Heavy
Fri- Light

And alternate every week. Or would it be better to have one week heavy, next week light? :huh:

Leah
05-17-2006, 03:40 AM
Yeah...I guess that could work