PDA

View Full Version : Weight training for Marathons

Strive2Define
05-02-2006, 11:47 AM
Does anyone here run them? If so, what are your suggestions for weight training? I am thinking you wouldn't want any real bulk to slow you down but doesn't some upper body strength help?

jrb1980
05-03-2006, 05:01 AM
I used to do halfs. I was doing some hip and glutes work but that was rare. Due to hill training + running volume my legs were pretty spent. I did maybe 20 min 2X week of upper body weights in the 15 rep range or my gym's circuit but my focus was really just on running at that time....it was also before gaining all this knowledge from the lovely folks on this board.

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 05:02 AM
You could maybe do some lactate-tolerance work with weights, and I could see some stretch-shortening reactivity work being useful for joint conditioning. Otherwise I don't see much utility.

Strive2Define
05-06-2006, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 3 2006, 01:02 AM
You could maybe do some lactate-tolerance work with weights, and I could see some stretch-shortening reactivity work being useful for joint conditioning. Otherwise I don't see much utility.
Thanks PM..I do have a question though..can you explain to me the concept of lactose intolerance training via weights?I know that most LT work usually requires high intensity sets in order to increase ones anaerobic threshold..how would I incorporate this exactly using weights?

fitness926
05-06-2006, 05:09 PM
I'm training for a marathon right now and do two Full body weight workouts a week..I do these on my short run days (Tues and Thurs) which give my body time to recover before my long run on Sunday

Inatic
05-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Fitness926,

what is the rep range your working in for you training. Do you find your legs recover well enough for a run. There's a gal on another bb that also is training for a marathon. She only doing light wt training.

fitness926
05-06-2006, 05:23 PM
I do 3x10 and I lift heavy...especially my upper body...my lower body I only do perform two -three different exercises per day. I recover well b/c i lift tues and thurs, and friday is an off day for me. Sat. is training and sunday is a the long run...then mon again is off so it give me more time to recover before tuesdays lift

Inatic
05-07-2006, 01:34 AM
how often do you run?

lchristine100
05-07-2006, 01:39 AM
I am focusing on running distance now and I have cut back to 2 days of full body work lifting which seems to be ok

Inatic
05-07-2006, 02:06 AM
I have a friend that is running. She is only doing 2 upper body workouts during the week and no leg workouts. She was told by one trainer(that runs marathons) that she didnt need to train legs and is only training them lightly at this time. On another forum it was suggested that she'd lose lbm by not training legs, so just trying to find a workable solution for her and no muscle loss. Is it dependant on how many days one runs.

So how many days do ya'll run?

p-funk
05-07-2006, 02:16 AM
I train marathon people.

we do 2 total body workouts per weeks.

we also use low level plyometrics to increase reactive ability as well.

fitness926
05-07-2006, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 6 2006, 08:34 PM
how often do you run?
5-6 days a week

I also do 1-2 days yoga/pilates(usually day after my long run) to calm down, and stretch

CraveMuscle
05-07-2006, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by fitness926@May 6 2006, 11:25 PM
5-6 days a week

I also do 1-2 days yoga/pilates(usually day after my long run) to calm down, and stretch
you do yoga to "calm down" after your runs? :lol:

i'm sorry, fitness . . . I couldn't resist the opportunity.

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@May 5 2006, 11:27 PM
Thanks PM..I do have a question though..can you explain to me the concept of lactose intolerance training via weights?I know that most LT work usually requires high intensity sets in order to increase ones anaerobic threshold..how would I incorporate this exactly using weights?
High-volume, high reps, short rest intervals.

lchristine100
05-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Inatic@May 6 2006, 09:06 PM
I have a friend that is running. She is only doing 2 upper body workouts during the week and no leg workouts. She was told by one trainer(that runs marathons) that she didnt need to train legs and is only training them lightly at this time. On another forum it was suggested that she'd lose lbm by not training legs, so just trying to find a workable solution for her and no muscle loss. Is it dependant on how many days one runs.

So how many days do ya'll run?
The 2 full body sessions seems to be working for me. I also do Yoga as well. I do usually 1 long run a week (usualy Sunday or Monday) and a couple shorter runs during the week and sometimes I do some interval runs. I also teach aerobics and try to cross train to mix it up- somtimes i feel there are not enough days during the week hah....

Strive2Define
05-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Well, I guess my next question is, were any of you able to do all of this training and keep a decent amount of muscle while doing it? That is my first priority. The only reason I was considering attempting one was for charity..but I have to be honest, I am having a really hard time wrapping my brain around a 26 mile run..not to mention the training runs of 20 miles..just seems like unneccessary torture to me.

fitness926
05-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by CraveMuscle+May 6 2006, 11:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (CraveMuscle @ May 6 2006, 11:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-fitness926@May 6 2006, 11:25 PM
5-6 days a week

you do yoga to "calm down" after your runs? :lol:

i&#39;m sorry, fitness . . . I couldn&#39;t resist the opportunity. [/b][/quote]
ohhh crave what I am going to do with you&#33;

fitness926
05-07-2006, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@May 7 2006, 09:40 AM
Well, I guess my next question is, were any of you able to do all of this training and keep a decent amount of muscle while doing it? That is my first priority. The only reason I was considering attempting one was for charity..but I have to be honest, I am having a really hard time wrapping my brain around a 26 mile run..not to mention the training runs of 20 miles..just seems like unneccessary torture to me.
well this is my first marathon, so i&#39;m not sure. however when i&#39;ve done 1/2s and x-country in high school, I did lose some muscle....I suppose it will be the same for the marathon too

I&#39;m doing mine for charity as well. Raising money for cancer. Both my Grandpa&#39;s died of Cancer...and I had some skin cancer removed last year( i&#39;m only 20&#33;) so I&#39;m forcing myself to suck it up and realize that those people who go through cancer struggle more than I will during my training and my 26.2 mile run. They are my inspiration

lchristine100
05-07-2006, 09:33 PM
I have noticed I have lost strength since working on distance running- I am looking into a half marathon by the end of the summer and eventually a full sometime next spring. I think that is normal though- I guess for me I really want to accomplish this goal and so my weight training is still an important aspect so I can be a stronger runner, but still my running is most important now.

I guess what I am saying is that yeah, you are most likely going to have a decrease in strength, but you can always get it back after the marathon. Weight training and competing and marathon running are both amazing goals though when you look at it that way :train:

hotinatl
05-11-2006, 01:40 AM
Strength training makes you a much stronger and more effective runner. I would highly recommend strength training your lower extremity and not just your upper. Running DOES NOT strengthen or build muscle in the lower extremities. The stronger your muscles are, the more force they absorb while running and the less is absorbed on your joints.
I train my marathoners (as well as myself) with full body workouts, incorporating plyometrics and eccentrics (especially for the quads).
Be careful of the plyometrics though, watch the surface you perform them on&#33;

Strive2Define
05-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks hot &#33;&#33;