PDA

View Full Version : How do you know what order to go in?

KatLund
05-16-2006, 10:54 PM
So last night I was thinking about what I would do for my upper body workout today. I was trying to do heavy back with the rest light, so here's what I did, in the order I did them.

5 X 5 pullups
3 X 10 inclined dumbell press
5 X 5 seated rows
3 X 10 military press
3 X 12 skull crushers

I didnt' know if I should break my back workout up and do it in between other exercises like I did, or do both my back exercises and then finish off my upper body. I thought I'd ask the experts and see what you all would suggest. Mucho appreciated!

Strive2Define
05-16-2006, 11:14 PM
I always thought you worked the largest muscle group first..not sure if this is correct or not?

K8T
05-17-2006, 12:02 AM
I thought the same, that you are supposed to work the largest muscles first, but I have no scientific explanation

Leah
05-17-2006, 01:06 AM
I don't get your split at all but....I'd do all the heavy work first.

KatLund
05-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Tell me what you don't get-what would you change in my split? It would be much appreciated :train:
What my intention was, was to do a 4-day upper/lower split. On the upper days do a heavy back/light chest, and then switch it up the following day.

nicidale
05-17-2006, 02:30 AM
You might want to try this for a four day split.

one upper day...
Heavy = Chest & Mid back
Light = Shoulders & Lats

other upper day...
Heavy = Shoulders & Lats
Light = Chest & Mid back

Erik
05-17-2006, 02:54 AM
I'd do the heavy work first in most cases. However, the best option is to do your priority 'muscles' first.

Robben
05-17-2006, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by KatLund@May 16 2006, 05:54 PM
So last night I was thinking about what I would do for my upper body workout today. I was trying to do heavy back with the rest light, so here's what I did, in the order I did them.

5 X 5 pullups
5 X 5 seated rows
3 X 10 military press
3 X 12 skull crushers

I didnt' know if I should break my back workout up and do it in between other exercises like I did, or do both my back exercises and then finish off my upper body. I thought I'd ask the experts and see what you all would suggest. Mucho appreciated!
Kat, you should do deadlifts on the same day you do your pullups...

Leah
05-17-2006, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by KatLund@May 16 2006, 09:47 PM
Tell me what you don't get-what would you change in my split? It would be much appreciated :train:
What my intention was, was to do a 4-day upper/lower split. On the upper days do a heavy back/light chest, and then switch it up the following day.
:doh: I read your exercises wrong, sorry

smuggie
05-17-2006, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Robben+May 16 2006, 10:58 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robben @ May 16 2006, 10:58 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-KatLund@May 16 2006, 05:54 PM
So last night I was thinking about what I would do for my upper body workout today. I was trying to do heavy back with the rest light, so here&#39;s what I did, in the order I did them.

5 X 5 pullups
5 X 5 seated rows
3 X 10 military press
3 X 12 skull crushers

I didnt&#39; know if I should break my back workout up and do it in between other exercises like I did, or do both my back exercises and then finish off my upper body. I thought I&#39;d ask the experts and see what you all would suggest. Mucho appreciated&#33;
Kat, you should do deadlifts on the same day you do your pullups... [/b][/quote]
Why?

jaleena
05-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Yeah...I wouldn&#39;t.

nicidale
05-17-2006, 04:57 AM
Hey Robben :hi:
Why would you? I do mine on my leg day. Just curious as to if I should change.

KatLund
05-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Yeah, why the deads Robben? Okay so basically get all my heavy targeted muscle excercises out of the way first. Makes sense. Will start today&#33; Thanks everyone. I love this forum&#33;

Robben
05-17-2006, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by KatLund@May 17 2006, 08:45 AM
Yeah, why the deads Robben? Okay so basically get all my heavy targeted muscle excercises out of the way first. Makes sense. Will start today&#33; Thanks everyone. I love this forum&#33;
Kat, the reason for doing pullups or doing lat pulldowns before you deadlift is that over time you will experence a greater amount of muscle devlopement
(the widening and lenthening appearance in the lats) in both the upper and lower back and in the lats. Also a person will develop the serratus anterior, those little fingers of muscle that lie under the outside of the pecs.

In short by doing the pullups or lat pulldowns this will make the muscles of the back work harder due to the fact that the lat muscles have been worked over. Thus, the muscles in your back now have to work harder due to the fact that the other muscles are now fatigued.

I hope I didn&#39;t get to wordy on this reply... And I hope it answers the question.. :compute:

CraveMuscle
05-17-2006, 02:24 PM
wouldn&#39;t it depend on your split?

it you are doing an upper/lower split, it would seem to compromise leg recovery.

Erik
05-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by CraveMuscle@May 17 2006, 10:24 AM
wouldn&#39;t it depend on your split?

it you are doing an upper/lower split, it would seem to compromise leg recovery.
Yes, it would.

mark
05-17-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by KatLund@May 16 2006, 06:47 PM
Tell me what you don&#39;t get-what would you change in my split? It would be much appreciated :train:

You&#39;re doing an incline press with a military press. Too much shoulder involvement in the incline to do the military on the same day. Perhaps do dips instead of the military. And drop the extra arm work. Not necessary.

smuggie
05-17-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Robben@May 17 2006, 10:21 AM
Kat, the reason for doing pullups or doing lat pulldowns before you deadlift is that over time you will experence a greater amount of muscle devlopement
(the widening and lenthening appearance in the lats) in both the upper and lower back and in the lats. Also a person will develop the serratus anterior, those little fingers of muscle that lie under the outside of the pecs.

In short by doing the pullups or lat pulldowns this will make the muscles of the back work harder due to the fact that the lat muscles have been worked over. Thus, the muscles in your back now have to work harder due to the fact that the other muscles are now fatigued.

I hope I didn&#39;t get to wordy on this reply... And I hope it answers the question.. :compute:
How does doing pull-ups and CDLs in the same workout develop the serratus anterior muscles?

KatLund
05-18-2006, 12:22 AM
Good suggestion Mark, I&#39;d rather do dips than military press anyhow :p

Robben
05-18-2006, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by smuggie+May 17 2006, 11:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (smuggie @ May 17 2006, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Robben@May 17 2006, 10:21 AM

How does doing pull-ups and CDLs in the same workout develop the serratus anterior muscles? [/b][/quote]
Doing pull-ups in this case does two thing for you. One it works the lats and the serratus anterior muscles. And two doing 4 sets of as many pullups as you can do will fatigue the lats and make your back muscles work all the harder when you deadlift... I never said that CDLs would develop the serratus anterior muscles..

The13ig13adWolf
05-18-2006, 01:02 PM
i don&#39;t know about dropping the extra arm work if she doesn&#39;t want to. 3 sets of skull crushers isn&#39;t overdoing it.

KatLund
05-18-2006, 09:59 PM
It&#39;s actually rare that I do direct arm work-my biceps are still sore from tuesday&#39;s pullups&#33; I was trying to combine the volume I had seen in some 4 days splits with some of T&#39;s exercise posts from FBFL where he incorporated one exercise of bis and tris. It just happened on this particular day that I did arms. I fianlly wrote up a exercise plan last night. I had been mixing it up regularly, but it makes so much more sense to stick with the same exercises for a finite period of time so I can track my progress, then switch it up.

Erik
05-19-2006, 12:27 AM
I didn&#39;t know pull ups hit the serratus anterior ....

:unsure:

Robben
05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Thunder@May 18 2006, 07:27 PM

You do now... :lol:

Erik
05-20-2006, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Robben+May 19 2006, 09:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Robben @ May 19 2006, 09:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thunder@May 18 2006, 07:27 PM

You do now... :lol: [/b][/quote]
How do they hit the SA?

Erik
05-20-2006, 01:23 AM
Something (part of a longer answer) I wrote for an old Q&A ....

The serratus anterior functions as a stabilizer of the scapula and functions both to upwardly rotate and abduct the scapula. Scapular abduction occurs when your arms and shoulders move in front and away from your body, which causes your scapula to move away from your spine. Based on our little anatomy lesson, an effective exercise to target the serratus anterior would be incline dumbbell front raises with your palms facing each other. However, an even better exercise, which is where you can kill your two birds, is the standing military press, which hits the serratus anterior better than most direct serratus exercises. As already stated focus on the compound lifts, including the standing press, get your body fat levels nice and low, and your serratus will become very prominent.

Robben
05-20-2006, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Thunder+May 19 2006, 08:21 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunder &#064; May 19 2006, 08:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Robben@May 19 2006, 09:21 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Thunder@May 18 2006, 07:27 PM

You do now... :lol:
How do they hit the SA? [/b][/quote]
"T", take a moment and put one arm over your head and place your hand on your SA. Now, pull the arm down.. As the arm comes down you should feel it in your SA... Also, if your doing pullups and going chest to bar - not chin to bar your going to feel it in the SA...