PDA

View Full Version : Swimming for SS cardio

jrb1980
05-17-2006, 12:03 AM
I have a big lap pool in my condo and sometimes I used to go down there once a week for SS cardio. Now, I am a terrible swimmer - seriously, I am all over the place and look :censor: ridiculous (swim cap and all). BUT, I do like to switch up SS cardio with a swim once and a while.

Is swimming a good alternative to SS cardio?

I die after 20 minutes so usually I run for 25 min first.

What about water running?

The reason I ask is because I am under the assumption it burns less calories.

thanks

Bravogrl27
05-17-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 16 2006, 07:03 PM
I have a big lap pool in my condo and sometimes I used to go down there once a week for SS cardio. Now, I am a terrible swimmer - seriously, I am all over the place and look :censor: ridiculous (swim cap and all). BUT, I do like to switch up SS cardio with a swim once and a while.

thanks
Before my husband deployed and we went to the Y, he had me doing one of the seal's (getting back into swim shape) workouts . . . it was fairly close to HIIT . .. very intense fast intervals with short recovery times . . . different strokes, though mostly crawl stroke . . . I was more out of breath from that than I was from running . . . If even for 20 minutes, I think you could get an intense workout from it. Just my opinion.

poke
05-17-2006, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 17 2006, 09:03 AM

thanks
The calories you burn depend on the intensity you push. Most people dont get much of a workout from swimming because they can't do the stroke correctly (and therefore can't work continuously) or they get bored with the laps and only do 4. However, swimming can be a great form of SS cardio since it uses the whole body. The day after I lift legs, swimming is what I wish for. If you are really interested in swimming regularly, I'd invest in a swim lesson. Even just 4 sessions of instruction can help tons. The early summer is the best time to look for things like that, too, because lots of pools have specials. Adult swim lessons are more common than you think, especially for those that can already swim, just not correctly.

And like Bravo said, you can do some kick-ass intervals once you are comfortable with the strokes.

jrb1980
05-17-2006, 02:05 AM
Yeah, I can't do the strikes right but I do go non stop - which is 20 min is my limit. My tricpes kill - I call only do the breast stoke right :lol:

Bravogrl27
05-17-2006, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 16 2006, 09:05 PM
Yeah, I can't do the strikes right but I do go non stop - which is 20 min is my limit. My tricpes kill - I call only do the breast stoke right :lol:
Breast stroke is for resting/recovery time, lol. ;) It's the easiest for me as far as relaxing (that and the side stroke) . . .but if I'm trying to race as fast as I can, crawl stroke. I'm not sure if the workout we did was from the navy seals or the special forces underwater guys, but it was some 'whippin your butt back into shape' style thing the guys used to prepare for their schools they went to (basically the workout for the guys who had maybe drank a little too much booze and needed to get back into conditioned shape before their school started) . . . part of it also included a lot of conditioning things like using the floater boards and focusing on legs or focusing on upper body by swimming with floaters between the legs . . but it was all interval stuff, and still had to be as fast as we could go . . . short distances but several of them . . . and our workouts really weren't that long, but just very very intense. For me anyway, my husband is an amazing swimmer. I'm sure if you go to a YMCA type place they might have some type of training that the dualthon/triathalon people use as well, since most of them have classes for that . . . I'd be very very surprised if they didn't have some sort of interval routine they used.

tam
05-17-2006, 04:45 AM
There's a ton of workouts you can plan for yourself in the pool, or do a search for swim workouts and you can get some good ideas. When I did intervals, I would try different things - always front crawl. You can do 25 m as fast as possible then pick a rest time that you can handle at your own level, say 10 s, or 5 s - whatever you want. Or, you pick a lap time and "go" on that. For ex. if you can swim 1 lap in 30 seconds, you might pick a lap time of 45 seconds. So, you swim your lap, and rest until you hit the 45 second mark, no matter how fast/slow you swam your lap. The other drill I did was changing up the speed of my stroke. So, maybe you do 10 strokes at a leisurely pace, then 10 as hard as you can.

Do any of those make sense? :confused:

Q45
05-17-2006, 01:53 PM
i think swimming is great for cardio.i use to be on the swim team and after
swimming 10 lap sprints with 30s your just spent. but the feeling after is great.