PDA

View Full Version : dumbbells vs barbell

riley1105
05-17-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm fairly new to weightlifting (only been at it for a year) so please excuse me if this is a dumb question. What effect does using dumbbells for a particular exercise have on you body/muscles vs using a barbell to preform the same exercise? example; bench press. While we're at it, what about using cables?

nicidale
05-17-2006, 03:36 PM
When you are using dumbbells each of your sides are forced to work by itself, there is more freedom of movement for the weights making it harder to balance.
When your using a barbell the bar itself helps balance the weight and both sides are helping eachother out.
It's good to have both in your routine IMO.

I'm sure someone else can explain it better and give you a more technical answer.

mark
05-17-2006, 04:08 PM
If I had to choose just one to work with forever, it would be dumbbells. There are reasons for using both, however. You can work with a greater load using a barbell because it doesn't require as much stabilization as dumbbells do.

Hoochiemomma
05-17-2006, 04:48 PM
I have been using DB alot for upper body work because my right side is much stronger than my left - I'm like one of those crabs with one giant claw and one puny pincher...

Bravogrl27
05-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Hoochiemomma@May 17 2006, 11:48 AM
I have been using DB alot for upper body work because my right side is much stronger than my left - I'm like one of those crabs with one giant claw and one puny pincher...

gotta pirate this--since I'm at work (on break) and can see avatars--I LOVE yours... family guy rocks.