PDA

View Full Version : Jump Squats?

Bravogrl27
05-18-2006, 01:07 PM
Is there a link/thread somewhere on jump squats? I searched around but couldn't find one. I've done jumping style squats without weights, but never with weights. It was mentioned in M & F in a side bar but the picture didn't really say much about the form and I don't want to hurt myself. Also wondering about the "jump shrug." These are supposed to "heighten your hops."

amyloo
05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
It sounds dangerous to me, but what do I know. I'd probably fall over if I tried to do jump squats with dumbells in my hands. Would you raise your arms over your head as you jump, or keep them down at your sides? My arms go down and kind of behind me when I jump up and then back up to chest level as I come down into the squat. Maybe I'm doing them all wrong to begin with.

Jenny
05-18-2006, 02:34 PM
This does sound dangerous. I have done jump squats in aerobics classes, but never with weights!

Swiss
05-18-2006, 03:56 PM
I've done jump squats, holding dumbells (not a barbell). The dumbbells I held were very light, too (can't remember...probably 5 or 10 lb ones).

amyloo
05-18-2006, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Swiss@May 18 2006, 10:56 AM
I've done jump squats, holding dumbells (not a barbell). The dumbbells I held were very light, too (can't remember...probably 5 or 10 lb ones).
But were they pink?? ;)

PowerManDL
05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
What would be the goal for you in doing these movements?

jrb1980
05-18-2006, 04:19 PM
I used to do them also. They were just a huge energy expenditure exercise for me. They always kicked my ass.

Swiss
05-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by amyloo@May 18 2006, 04:00 PM
But were they pink?? ;)
:lol: No pink...regular black ones. :lol:

I would just do them at the end of regular squats, lunges, etc. They weren't a mainstay in my exercise programs...just something to toss in once in a while.

Strive2Define
05-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Jump squats..plyometric type exercise...I do these from time to time. I use a medicine ball

Bravogrl27
05-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 18 2006, 11:11 AM
What would be the goal for you in doing these movements?
:rolleyes: um... to heighten my hops!

PowerManDL
05-18-2006, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Bravogrl27@May 18 2006, 01:06 PM
:rolleyes: um... to heighten my hops!
There's much better ways to do that, if you're interested in vertical jump training.

BronzedGoddess
05-18-2006, 07:44 PM
I've done jump squats on a supercat machine and also with a 45lb barbell without any problems. They do wear you out though. Never done the shrugs though.

pavermama
05-18-2006, 08:16 PM
I do plyometrics as an interval training. I'll put it in between exercises for my fitness classes to get their heart rate up.

jrb1980
05-18-2006, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Strive2Define@May 18 2006, 04:40 PM
Jump squats..plyometric type exercise...I do these from time to time. I use a medicine ball
I used a medicine ball also.

sweetpea_123
05-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by BronzedGoddess@May 18 2006, 02:44 PM
I've done jump squats on a supercat machine and also with a 45lb barbell without any problems. They do wear you out though. Never done the shrugs though.
Whoa! I could never do jump squats with a 45 pound barbell, I'd fall over!!! :eek:

I do jump squats during cardio, using a step, which is fun. (Just leaping from left to right, with one foot always landing on the step) If I use weights, they are low-weight, in case I brain myself, hehehehe!!

:shades:

Bravogrl27
05-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 18 2006, 12:13 PM
There's much better ways to do that, if you're interested in vertical jump training.
I guess m & f isn't exactly the 'say all' of how to achieve goals . . . they had workouts on the smith machine in this last edition I got in the mail. I just thought the jump squats looked impressive. :rolleyes: Would be interested in what else you'd recommend then. Floor is yours. Thanks :)

PowerManDL
05-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Main things for power development:

1) Build maximal strength (typical weight training)
2) Build RFD/power (this is where your jump squats, box squats, cleans, snatches, and that would come in)
3) Plyometrics/shock training (depth jumps, drop jumps, etc)
4) Specific technique development (go jump)

Typically the emphasis would be developed in that order, and a solid program would likely go:

Phase I - strength/power
Phase II - power/shock, maintenance strength
Phase III - shock/technique, maintenance power, strength

Brandi
05-18-2006, 10:46 PM
Can the next phase be shock/awe?

Inatic
05-18-2006, 11:00 PM
I love plyometrics.

We do jump squats with a 12lb med ball and also on a lying leg press.

BronzedGoddess
05-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by sweetpea_123@May 18 2006, 03:57 PM
Whoa! I could never do jump squats with a 45 pound barbell, I'd fall over!!! :eek:

I do jump squats during cardio, using a step, which is fun. (Just leaping from left to right, with one foot always landing on the step) If I use weights, they are low-weight, in case I brain myself, hehehehe!!

:shades:
I bet if you had a big football coach barking at you, you could :) I had to do them for track. Helps with explosive speed coming out of the blocks.

sybarite
05-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Brandi@May 18 2006, 04:46 PM
Can the next phase be shock/awe?
You rock. :lol:

Bravogrl27
05-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by amyloo@May 18 2006, 11:00 AM
But were they pink?? ;)
LMAO. I saw an ad at some place like Shopko or Walmart the other day--it was a kit, a PINK yoga mat, PINK balance ball, and PINK 3 pound weights complete with a workout video . . . it was so cute looking . . . I was actually tempted to buy it for someone but couldn't think of anyone who would get the joke.

Bravogrl27
05-19-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 18 2006, 05:22 PM
Main things for power development:

1) Build maximal strength (typical weight training)
2) Build RFD/power (this is where your jump squats, box squats, cleans, snatches, and that would come in)
3) Plyometrics/shock training (depth jumps, drop jumps, etc)
4) Specific technique development (go jump)

Typically the emphasis would be developed in that order, and a solid program would likely go:

Phase I - strength/power
Phase II - power/shock, maintenance strength
Phase III - shock/technique, maintenance power, strength
are the plyometrics things like the kickboxing conditioning stuff I'm used to--no weights/just body weight--

*jumping up and down (both feet together) really high surfaces (like the heighth of a kickboxing ring)
*running in place super fast, suddenly jumping up, immediately dropping down and doing a pushup, that type of routine over and over within a short amount of time.
*similar to above only with more dropping and pushups or jumping up and punching focus mits or a thai bag

??? or way different? I'm sorry I'm being lazy, I could look in a search engine. I need to get going though . . .

PowerManDL
05-19-2006, 02:25 AM
Plyometrics, or as I used it above shock training, is any method designed to use the stretch-shortening cycle to absorb and rebound force.

The muscle and associated connective tissues basically act like a spring when they're placed under load very quickly. They store that energy, and can rebound it. This stretch reflex lasts up to a couple of seconds.

So anything that involves a fast catch and instant rebound falls under that category....you're training the entire muscle complex to rapidly absorb force and turn it around. The muscle itself contributes a relatively small amount.

The hopping stuff and jumps would definitely count.

Bravogrl27
05-20-2006, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL@May 18 2006, 09:25 PM
Plyometrics, or as I used it above shock training, is any method designed to use the stretch-shortening cycle to absorb and rebound force.

The muscle and associated connective tissues basically act like a spring when they're placed under load very quickly. They store that energy, and can rebound it. This stretch reflex lasts up to a couple of seconds.

So anything that involves a fast catch and instant rebound falls under that category....you're training the entire muscle complex to rapidly absorb force and turn it around. The muscle itself contributes a relatively small amount.

The hopping stuff and jumps would definitely count.
Thanks. :)