PDA

View Full Version : Does my coach know what she's doing?

FaithNFitness
05-02-2006, 03:00 PM
I play college volleyball and my coach puts together the off-season lifting workouts. Would anyone mind giving their 2 cents on it and making suggestions if they think it could be better. I respect everyone's opinion on here SO much and I feel that all of you know so much more than my coach.

Here it is...

Day 1:
Incline DB 4x10
Lat pulldowns (palms toward) 3x10
DB fly 3x10
Straight arm pulldown 2x10
Upright row 3x10
Tricep pushdown 2x10
DB curl 2x10
Step ups 2x10
Straight Leg Deadlift 2x10
Lateral lunges 3x10
Standing calf raises 3x12
Shoulder circuit and core workout

Day 2:
Agilities/Track work

Day 3:
Off

Day 4:
Front squat 3x5
Box squat 4x10
Walking lunges 2x10
Good mornings 3x10
Calf raise 3x12
Lat pulldowns (palms away) 3x10
Push ups 3x to failure
DB row 2x10
Side/front DB raise 3x10
Tricep pushdown (thumbs up) 2x10
Hammer curl 2x10

Day 5:
Military press 4x10
Lat pulldowns (palms away) 3x10
DB bench press 3x10
DB pullover 2x10
Rear lat raise 3x10
Bench dips 2x to failure
Leg press 3x10
Leg extensions 2x10
Good mornings 3x10
Seated alf raise 4x12

I was then thinking of having HIIT on Day 2 and on Day 6 and then adding one SS cardio to Day 3.

I'm just a little confused since my goals are probably slightly different than just trying to gain a lot of muscle. The reps are higher than most people suggest around here, but I'm assuming it is because of the different focus of the goals for the workout??

Any input would be greatly appreciated! :D This is my first off-season with this coach, so I just want to see if she knows what she's putting together for us or not (and how strictly I should then follow it). :blink:

Sorry this is long, but thanks to anyone who can help :)

Brandi
05-02-2006, 03:02 PM
That is a. lot.

FaithNFitness
05-02-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Brandi@May 2 2006, 10:02 AM
That is a. lot.
i know! :(

Leah
05-02-2006, 03:17 PM
It does seem like a lot of work...and the exercises make no sense to me given your goals. It's a bodybuilding routine...and that doesn't make sense to me.

FaithNFitness
05-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Leah@May 2 2006, 10:17 AM
It does seem like a lot of work...and the exercises make no sense to me given your goals. It's a bodybuilding routine...and that doesn't make sense to me.
Do you have any suggestions of how to fix it to make it not quite as much? I am just not at a knowledge level yet that I know what I can cut out.

If it's a volleyball workout, are there things in there that shouldn't be??

jrb1980
05-02-2006, 04:57 PM
What are your goals?

FaithNFitness
05-02-2006, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by jrb1980@May 2 2006, 11:57 AM
What are your goals?
explosiveness and speed are key in volleyball in addition to wanting to build muscle. Is it possible to get a mix like this at the same time or do I have to pick one or the other?

Strive2Define
05-02-2006, 05:10 PM
I would do more things like plyometrics( box jumps etc), sprints..some upper body strength stuff.

Pandora
05-02-2006, 05:12 PM
Wow, that is a lot of volume... :huh: And for your purposes, I think it is geared pretty much in the wrong direction.

The volume is too high, for one. Also, are you doing any dynamic flexibility work or functional workouts related to the movements in your sport? I don't see any...

FaithNFitness
05-02-2006, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Pandora@May 2 2006, 12:12 PM
Wow, that is a lot of volume... :huh: And for your purposes, I think it is geared pretty much in the wrong direction.

The volume is too high, for one. Also, are you doing any dynamic flexibility work or functional workouts related to the movements in your sport? I don't see any...
I agree...it is A LOT of volume.

The shoulder circuit deals with specific motions that would take place when I hit and serve.

I've done volleyball lifting workouts the last few years but I've never asked questions about them. The coach has always just given it to me, and I've done it with no questions asked. However, since I've been around here (and O2) the last few months, I've learned to never to something without asking why I'm doing it. This is why I'm so curious if this is geared in the right direction for me or if it will just be a lot of wasted time and not very efficient.

Thanks for any more help that can be offered- I appreciate it all!

PowerManDL
05-03-2006, 05:15 AM
It's a little gay for my tastes, but it's the off-season so who really cares?

healthnut
05-05-2006, 11:03 PM
Are there any books out there that address your sport's training on and off season? I know that the Virginia Tech football coach published a book about on- and off-season training he does with football athletes. Maybe there is something similar for college volleyball?

Robben
05-05-2006, 11:35 PM
I don't care for the volume or the order in which you are to do these exercises... This workout looks like busy work... :(

p-funk
05-06-2006, 01:36 AM
It looks pretty lame from an athletic standpoint. it is a lot of crap too.

why aren't you doing any type of plyometrics or reactive training? Why is agility only trained once a week?

the goals of offseason training is really going to depend on what you personally need to work on....gain more strength, gain more power, work on your vertical, correct imbalances or injuries, increase work capacity, add muscle...etc....it is diffrenet for everyone.

In general, a basic, generic template that you can do off of would be something like:

General warm up
dynamic warmup
reactive training/plyometrics or power exercises (cleans, snatches, jerks)
resistance training

jaleena
05-06-2006, 03:46 AM
I think she wrote the program for the specific purpose of inducing death in those who follow instructions. :blink:

Listen to P-funk, he'll try not to kill you :clap:

FaithNFitness
05-07-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by healthnut@May 5 2006, 06:03 PM
Are there any books out there that address your sport's training on and off season? I know that the Virginia Tech football coach published a book about on- and off-season training he does with football athletes. Maybe there is something similar for college volleyball?
I'm not sure if there are any/many books that address how to train for volleyball. I would assume that there should be something out there. The only problem would be finding something current and something that isn't a bunch of crap that like program was designed. I'll do some researching the next few days and hopefully will find some answers!

Thanks for your response :)

FaithNFitness
05-07-2006, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Robben@May 5 2006, 06:35 PM
I don't care for the volume or the order in which you are to do these exercises... This workout looks like busy work... :(
I agree...

I just lack the knowledge at this point to be able to change this workout on my own. I have no idea what exactly would be better to do and what order to do them in. But I also don't just want to give up and decide to do this workout that my coach made or found somewhere. :dry:

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by FaithNFitness@May 7 2006, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure if there are any/many books that address how to train for volleyball. I would assume that there should be something out there. The only problem would be finding something current and something that isn't a bunch of crap that like program was designed. I'll do some researching the next few days and hopefully will find some answers!

Thanks for your response :)
Should be straightforward, in no particular order of emphasis:

-Flexibility/mobility
-Anaerobic power endurance
-Aerobic endurance
-Power/reactivity

Basically a generic acyclic explosive strength/anaerobic endurance sport, with all the needs thereof.

A solid off-season program would be something to develop/maintain the musculature and maximal strength, with some maintenance work on foundational CV endurance and power/reactivity development.

More specific drills and endurance development should begin to take prominence closer to the season.

FaithNFitness
05-07-2006, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by p-funk@May 5 2006, 08:36 PM
It looks pretty lame from an athletic standpoint. it is a lot of crap too.

why aren't you doing any type of plyometrics or reactive training? Why is agility only trained once a week?

the goals of offseason training is really going to depend on what you personally need to work on....gain more strength, gain more power, work on your vertical, correct imbalances or injuries, increase work capacity, add muscle...etc....it is diffrenet for everyone.

In general, a basic, generic template that you can do off of would be something like:

General warm up
dynamic warmup
reactive training/plyometrics or power exercises (cleans, snatches, jerks)
resistance training
Thanks for your reply!

I can't answer all your questions as to why there isn't more plyometrics and agility training on the workout because I didn't make it, my coach did. I do agree with you though that there should be more of it though because these are core things that are important for volleyball players to have. As the season gets closer, the lifting does lighten up on volume and more days of plyometrics are added in. However, we aren't given any information about what types of things to do. Any suggestions at where I can find more information about plyometric workouts and how to put one together?

p-funk
05-07-2006, 06:59 PM
kelley bagget's web page has some good articles (http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/index.html)

FaithNFitness
05-07-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by p-funk@May 7 2006, 01:59 PM
kelley bagget's web page has some good articles (http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/index.html)
thanks for the link! I'll be reading through it later today when I have some more time :)

can you be any more specific about what should take place in each category of the generic template. Or does that just specifically relate to each person so it's hard to specify any further?

are there other lifts that are key to have in an athletic workout inaddition to the 3 you listed?

Thanks for your help!!

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by FaithNFitness@May 7 2006, 03:07 PM
thanks for the link! I'll be reading through it later today when I have some more time :)

can you be any more specific about what should take place in each category of the generic template. Or does that just specifically relate to each person so it's hard to specify any further?

are there other lifts that are key to have in an athletic workout inaddition to the 3 you listed?

Thanks for your help!!
I could put something together.

But that's borderline work, and I barely do work at my real job.

FaithNFitness
05-07-2006, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by PowerManDL+May 7 2006, 02:10 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (PowerManDL @ May 7 2006, 02:10 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-FaithNFitness@May 7 2006, 03:07 PM
thanks for the link&#33; I&#39;ll be reading through it later today when I have some more time :)

can you be any more specific about what should take place in each category of the generic template. Or does that just specifically relate to each person so it&#39;s hard to specify any further?

Thanks for your help&#33;&#33;
I could put something together.

But that&#39;s borderline work, and I barely do work at my real job. [/b][/quote]
wow thanks so much.

I sent you a PM a few minutes ago before I saw this response...so just ignore that PM I suppose :) haha

PowerManDL
05-07-2006, 07:47 PM
I replied.