fitness

Lean Bodies Fitness Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

Default Pre-workout nutrition/digestion early AM

I've tried searching but I'm not finding an answer, so sorry if this has been covered before.

Anyway, if you workout early AM have and have a meal (Gatorade & whey, oats and eggs, etc.) does that food digest in time to "fuel" your workout?

I know "fasted" cardio or weights is not a good thing. I've done both and I've run out of steam so i don't do it anymore. But am I using that pre-workout food for fuel?

Array

If I workout very early, I have just half of my first meal (egg whites and oatmeal) about 30 minutes before I go to the gym. Right after training, I have my PWO meal. Then, about an hour or so after that, I finish the rest of my first meal.

Admin
      Array

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss
      If I workout very early, I have just half of my first meal (egg whites and oatmeal) about 30 minutes before I go to the gym. Right after training, I have my PWO meal. Then, about an hour or so after that, I finish the rest of my first meal.
      Nice. I suggest this to clients quite often.
      My Blog - Updated March 15 - Noel Clark And Maximum Fitness Consulting’s Theft And Plagiarism Of Lean Bodies Consulting – The Facts

Lean Bodies Consulting Facebook Page - Please Join
      Lean Bodies Consulting

Array

I'm going to try this. I have a hard time gagging down that first meal.

Array

great suggestion.

another suggestion- you could sip a diluted (1 L ) mix of maltodextrin/dextrose and whey isolate during your workout.

then have PWO meal and regular meals planned from there out.

depends on diet plan though- and if you are working with a trainer you'd need to cross it by them.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss
      Good idea. I have never thought about this but that is a great idea. I usually have half of my third meal - some carbs/protein - but this might work better

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder
      Nice. I suggest this to clients quite often.
      I know...you're the one who suggested it to me.

Inactive
      Array

Yup, I cut my meal in half. Works best for me and I don't hurl at the gym.

Banned
      Array

I'm weird. I NEED to have all of Meal 1 before training or else I start to crash - I have issues w/ my blood sugar (undiagnosed, my dad has same issues, we just know how to deal w/ them properly).....for instance, for Bikram Yoga class they say to eat a "light" meal of like fruit and something else about 2-3 hrs BEFORE class...I tried that, felt like hurling....instead, I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and fruit about an hour before class and its perfect....diffn't strokes for diffn't folks I believe.

Procrastinatrix
      Array

Quote Originally Posted by Sarawithanh2000
      I'm weird. I NEED to have all of Meal 1 before training or else I start to crash - I have issues w/ my blood sugar (undiagnosed, my dad has same issues, we just know how to deal w/ them properly).....for instance, for Bikram Yoga class they say to eat a "light" meal of like fruit and something else about 2-3 hrs BEFORE class...I tried that, felt like hurling....instead, I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and fruit about an hour before class and its perfect....diffn't strokes for diffn't folks I believe.
      I'm the same way. I can eat a fullsized meal, drive to the gym 10-15 minutes away, and work out immediately without a problem. (Well, it wasn't great the time I OD'd on guacamole and turkey burgers pre-workout but that was a one time thing).

Waiting even an hour after eating before an intense workout is often too long for me. Which is actually kind of irritating as it can make logistics a bit trickier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast