fitness

Lean Bodies Fitness Forum

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

Default Uphill walking for building muscle?

How effective do you think uphill walking for cardio would be to help build muscle in the legs?

I usually uphill walk for my cardio (at about 9-13%, 4.4 mph), but I'm starting to think it may be tiring my legs a little and I might be able to put a little more into my leg lifting sessions if I wasn't doing it.

Would a leg workout way oversurpass any benefits I'd get from doing uphill walking for cardio (as opposed to say just flat walking)?

I quit running a little while ago, then replaced with with this (I hate biking and the elliptical), but am not so sure about just doing strictly simply walking for cardio.

Array

Are you holding on?

Regardless, I can't see anyone building muscle walking uphill. JMO.

I also NEVER run for cardio....used to always, now
      Follow me on Instagram
      @patriciadeesfitness

Former Postwhore
      Array

How often and how much are you doing? If it's affecting your leg training, you may need to bring your volume down a bit.

Think back...Move forward
      Array

I'm with Patricia I can't see you putting on muscle from walking uphill. I think you'd be better doing a sensible leg workout

Array

Walking won't build sufficient muscle with the exception of possibly absolutely newbie gains. Coming previously from a running background, I don't foresee walking (incline or not) building muscle for you. Leg workouts way surpass any cardio muscle building effects.

Cardio should not be viewed as a muscle building exercise anyway.

I don't see the amount of walking your doing as a problem for your leg workouts, but again---that would depend on how much cardio you're doing. How long are your walks? Also, how many and how much volume of leg work outs are you doing would impact how your legs are feeling and recovering.

Esta mi!
      Array

Why doesn't the resistance provided by the hill assist in muscle building? I've never understood this - to me it seems similar to using weights or bands.

Just curious...
      Within me is the divine capacity to manifest exactly what I need.

Turn of the Paige

Admin
      Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fitwolf
      Why doesn't the resistance provided by the hill assist in muscle building? I've never understood this - to me it seems similar to using weights or bands.

Just curious...
      1. How do you continually apply progressive overload?

2. Walking - aerobic/endurance. Compare it to doing 500 reps of triceps pushdowns. Good for building bigger triceps?
      My Blog - Updated March 15 - Noel Clark And Maximum Fitness Consulting’s Theft And Plagiarism Of Lean Bodies Consulting – The Facts

Lean Bodies Consulting Facebook Page - Please Join
      Lean Bodies Consulting

Esta mi!
      Array

1. How do you continually apply progressive overload?
      on a treadmill by increasing the angle... or outside by progressively steeper hikes... or wearing a pack (yeah, but that's really close to weight lifting).

2. Walking - aerobic/endurance. Compare it to doing 500 reps of triceps pushdowns. Good for building bigger triceps?
      Hmmm. I sort of understand this. Walking is similar to people in the gym doing high reps with light weight? That makes sense to me - perhaps there are minute gains but nothing of any significance.

In the summer I hike with varying amounts of weight. I feel like my legs get stronger... but perhaps it is the weight (pack) or perhaps it's just improved endurance.

Turn of the Paige

Admin
      Array

Quote Originally Posted by Fitwolf
      on a treadmill by increasing the angle... or outside by progressively steeper hikes... or wearing a pack (yeah, but that's really close to weight lifting).
      To what point? There's a limit is there not?

Hmmm. I sort of understand this. Walking is similar to people in the gym doing high reps with light weight? That makes sense to me - perhaps there are minute gains but nothing of any significance.
      More like endless reps with extremely light weight.

And these endurance-type fibers don't have a lot of growth potential. It's the more powerful, fast twitch fibers that have most of the growth potential, and to stimulate these requires heavy loads. They're powerful, but they fatigue fast. So an endurance activity like walking, isn't going to do anything for these fibers.
      My Blog - Updated March 15 - Noel Clark And Maximum Fitness Consulting’s Theft And Plagiarism Of Lean Bodies Consulting – The Facts

Lean Bodies Consulting Facebook Page - Please Join
      Lean Bodies Consulting

Esta mi!
      Array

To what point? There's a limit is there not?
      Yes... at some point I guess you are climbing!

And these endurance-type fibers don't have a lot of growth potential. It's the more powerful, fast twitch fibers that have most of the growth potential, and to stimulate these requires heavy loads. They're powerful, but they fatigue fast. So an endurance activity like walking, isn't going to do anything for these fibers.
      This makes sense to me. I must experience improved endurance.

Turn of the Paige

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast