3.5 weeks out until first show and struggling

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by fitsAB, Mar 19, 2009.

1. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I am 3.5 weeks out from my first show (athetic fitness model search) happening on April 11th.

I am having a hard time with workouts/recovery and getting the last 2-4 pounds off.
    I am hitting the gym just as hard (5x week 3-5 sets per exercise and 8-12 reps supersetting and focusing on minimal rest) and have increased my cardio to 4x week HIIT (i am already pretty lean) but even with all of my supplements I am really feeling exhausted and super low energy and am STARVING in the evenings after my workouts. Even if i have a snack (protien shake) before bed, I wake up 1-2 times in the night and need to eat because I am that hungry. I know the lack of sleep has to be interfering with my recovery and I dont know what to do here.

I am consuming about 1300 cal per day. I weigh 113lbs and am at about 12% BF. Am I not eating enough? I want to be in the best shape possible for this comp, but at this rate I am running out of steam very quickly and am afraid that if I dont start getting full nights of sleep I am going to do more harm then good.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Amy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Erik

Erik Admin

Why so much?

TOO MUCH.

That's way too much HIIT training this close to a show (and with as lean as you say you are).

What supplements would that be?

Do you count the extra feedings into your caloric intake for the day? The below mentioned 1300 calories?

Not just the lack of sleep; the excessive training in the context of being lean is as well.

That's not tremendously low calories for at 113lb person. But you do train a lot. And you add calories at night apparently, no?

Posting pictures of your current condition would be helpful.

3. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

:hi:
    Amy? Amy B from the Workshop on Sunday, is that you?

4. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

Are you doing planned, structured, refeeds?

5. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

Hey Nat - yes it is me from the workshop:)

Erik - Extra calories at night would be about 60-100. Usually 1/2 to 1 scoop protein in water.

How much should I be training and doing cardio then? I am still trying to build up the glutes/define legs and shoulders...

What would be the best ratio of carbs/protien/fats?

Supplements:
    Density by Beverly International 2 tabs, 3x day
    Glutamine Select +BCAA's 1 scoop in water during workout, 1 scoop in water after workout
    4 caps BCAA's pre and post training
    Dessicated liver - 2 tabs, 4-5 x a day (8-10 tabs daily)
    1 tbsp glucosamine and chondrotin before bed

I'll post pics shortly

6. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

Pics attached - from the fitness fashion show at the Arnold 2 weeks ago. I am front and center with jeans and blak bra top with silver straps

Measurements:
    Bust 32A
    Waist 24
    Hips - ? havent measured lately

Attached Files:

7. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

:hi: Amy! Glad you made it here!

You won't be building up any muscle groups on a calorie deficit. I know you feel you need more size but you can only work on doing that during your off season. Focus now is on fat loss and maintaining the muscle you have.

8. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

can you attach the pics I sent you that Karen took? They will give peeps a better idea...

9. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

Nat,
    Can you resend me the pics from the workshop? I accidentally deleted them before saving them to my computer.

Thanks!
    Amy

10. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

No problem, they are on their way! hang on...
    :cardio:

11. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

You.Have. Mail.

:lol:

12. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

More pics taken this past weekend

Attached Files:

13. Erik

Erik Admin

As Nat said, you're not going to be able to make muscular improvements in terms of development while you're eating at a caloric deficit and this close to a contest. The mindset should be to a focus on maintaining what muscle you have right now.

i think the amount of lifting per week is excessive and with you doing a lot of volume + low rest interval type work, it doesn't appear like you have much in the way of heavy low rep training in there. Even just a few sets would make a difference and send a strong muscle retention signal.

This really doesn't matter. Ratios refer to the relative amount of one macronutrient to another, and this is honestly completely meaningless.

Here's a q&a on this:

The Best Macronutrient Ratio for Fat Loss

What's this?

Don't need it.

Don't need it.

Definitely don't need it.

Hit or miss. Some say it works for them, others notice nothing. If it works for you, keep taking it.

I realize you may have read contradictory information - suggesting the above mentioned supplements, but trust me, when you cut through the marketing hype and look at the science, their use really isn't warranted in these circumstances.

14. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

Thank Erik

If I decrease training days (3 per week?), what should I be doing for cardio?

Typical days diet
    8:00 am 1/3 c dry measure oats with 1 scoop whey

11:30 am 1 or 1 1/2 scooop whey with raw veggies (cukes/celery)

1:30/2 pm 5 oz protien (tilapia, tuna or grilled chicken) with 2-3 cups greens, maybe a few mushrooms slices and pepper on it too (no dressing) and carb (2-3 rice cakes or 1/3 cup measured cooked brown rice). May add 1 tbsp avocado some days

4 - 4:30 pre workout - 1 scoop whey

7:00 p.m. post workout - 1 pc fruit (apple or banana) and 1 scoop whey and 1-2 tsp natural peanut butter

9:00 pm 1-2 cups spinach with 4-5 oz protien

middle of night (when i wake up hungry) 1/2 - 1 scoop whey or 2-3 egg whites if i have them hard boiled

15. Gnat

Gnat Well-Known Member

I think Erik's point was to replace some of your high rep weight training with some heavy low rep exercises (eg 3X6-8) for maximal muscle retention. Maybe replace one or two HIIT days with some slower cardio.

Looking at your diet, I would say that you need to add some carbs pre-workout. You will burn out easily without them.

16. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

thanks Nat. I'll try making those changes this week.

Looking at the diet, do you think I need to add in more protien? fats?

17. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:hi:
    I think you look just about ready now. It's "fitness model" not "figure" right? So you don't need to be super-lean (veins etc). You have almost 4 weeks left- plenty of time to lose 2 lbs. ;)

18. fitsAB

fitsAB New Member

True. Although I have my heart set on competing in figure and cant seem to shake that criteria from my mind...