All you moms-to-be

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by dare, Jan 17, 2007.

1. dare

dare I'm not fat...I'm pregnant!

Just out of curiousity ...
    1) About how many calories/day are you girls eating, or are you keeping track at all?

2) For those of you still working out, how many days of weights & cardio have you been doing?

3) For those of you who find that eating meat is slightly repulsive...what are you eating for protien?
    I used to eat tons of chicken & egg whites, but can only seem to stomach them on certain days. I'm still not big on cottage cheese yet either, and I find that I could eat salmon everyday but I know that you shouldn't eat too much fish when pregnant, so I have that about 1/week. I don't know what to do for protien anymore?? I feel like I'm SOL & just need to choke down my chicken & egg whites.

4) What are you girls eating for EFA'S? Are you taking fish oils? I think I am in need of some fats in my diet, and have only really been eating natty PB. (I used to eat lots of olive oil (grosses me out now) & take fish oils, but stopped b/c of the whole 'too much fish is bad for you' thing & don't want to harm my baby. Are there any other EFA supps out there that are okay to take when pregnant?

2. hotinatl

hotinatl New Member

I couldn't stomach oatmeal or chicken or veggies the first trimester. I would just get whatever food you can down. It get's much better the second trimester and now I feel like I am eating better foods.
    As far as fish oil supplements. Read up on that, I read that you were not to take supplements such as that. But I do take a prenatal vitamin that has DHA as a supplement. I would ask your doctor before taking ANY supplements.

3. dare

I am into my second tri....I'm 5 1/2 months now, and still can't stomach some of those things!!

4. PerfectAnjail

PerfectAnjail Active Member

I'm not prego now, but was not so long ago. (still feels like yesterday) You're not supposed to eat too much fish due to the mercury content. Unless I'm mistaken, fish oil doesn't have any mercury. Either way, always check with your doc. My prenatals had Omega-3s in them, so some type of supplement may actually be good.

If I am not mistaken, salmon isn't on the list of high mercury content. But I very easily could be mistaken, as I did a virtual mind dump of a lot of that stuff after giving birth.

5. PerfectAnjail

PerfectAnjail Active Member

Ran off to find a site, here ya go:

By following these 3 recommendations for selecting and eating fish or shellfish, women and young children will receive the benefits of eating fish and shellfish and be confident that they have reduced their exposure to the harmful effects of mercury.

1. Do not eat Shark, Swordfish, King Mackerel, or Tilefish because they contain high levels of mercury.
    2. Eat up to 12 ounces (2 average meals) a week of a variety of fish and shellfish that are lower in mercury.
    * Five of the most commonly eaten fish that are low in mercury are shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish.
    * Another commonly eaten fish, albacore ("white") tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna. So, when choosing your two meals of fish and shellfish, you may eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) of albacore tuna per week.
    3. Check local advisories about the safety of fish caught by family and friends in your local lakes, rivers, and coastal areas. If no advice is available, eat up to 6 ounces (one average meal) per week of fish you catch from local waters, but don't consume any other fish during that week.

6. Dane

Dane Member

Re the fish oil--the ones I take are concentrated, and regularly tested (with results available online) for purity. I get them here: www.pgfo.com

IMO, it's wise to take your fish oils during pregnancy and breastfeeding, as your baby is needing them for brain development. He will get what he needs from you regardless of whether you supplement, but at your expense.

One thing about taking fish oil--it has been shown to reduce blood clotting, which in normal circumstances is no problem, but it's recommended to stop taking them prior to surgery. Since I was going to have a scheduled c-section, I stopped EFA supplementation at the 8th month, and resumed a month after giving birth.

7. hotinatl

hotinatl New Member

Is it safe to take omega 3 fish oil supplements during pregnancy?

Anna McGrail answers:
    Yes and no. There are two types of fish oil supplement - those made from the liver of the fish and those made from the body of the fish. Supplements made from the liver of the fish, such as cod liver oil, contain the retinol form of vitamin A and need to be either avoided altogether or strictly limited in pregnancy so that your daily intake does not exceed 3,300 micrograms (mcg). On the other hand, fish oils not derived from fish livers contain lots of DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), which is essential for your baby's developing eyes and brain.

I would talk to your OB before doing any supplementation. This has not been proven either way, but isn't it better to be safe? Like me and Proactive. I have read it's okay and I have read it isn't. So you know what,I can wait 9 months to start using it again. Why not? Also, DHA is in a lot of prenatals. Why don't you just take that?

8. DianeD

DianeD Getting My MoJo Back!

#1) Not keeping track of cals at all:oops: Just trying to eat well
    #2) Religiously 4 days of weights (full body) and 5 days of varied SS cardio lasting about 30 minutes- (uphill treadmill walking, stairmaster or bike)
    #3) Protein comes from CC (sometimes), PP, chicken (rarely:yucky:), lean steak
    #4) Don't take EFA's but diet consists of EVOO, Natty PB, cashews, almonds and Brazil Nuts

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  9. dare

First of all, just let me clear up something.....I don't plan on taking a bunch of supplements just from the info I get on this board. I was curious as to know if any of you moms-to-be are taking any supps and maybe got an okay from your docs already. Not to say I was going to run out and buy a bunch of pills. The point of my question was mostly to find out what you girls are eating for fats!!!!!! The point of this thread was NOT to talk about solely about fish oil supps.

Also, I AM taking a prenatal vit. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2007
  10. dare

Thank you very much for your answers! :)

11. colo1278

colo1278 I'm growing a person!

1. nope, just eating when I feel like it and trying to mostly pick healthy stuff. Breakfast was 4 frozen nutrigrain blueberry waffles with margarine spray and lite syrup, and a bowl of low fat vanilla yogurt. I would guess I am not eating too many cals since if anything, I am still surprised at how little I am gaining. I am 24 weeks and have barely gained 11 lbs.

2. First tri, I was too sick and tired to work out, and then when I was gearing up to start, I found out about the vasa previa/bedrest issue and decided to just lay low. I was also looking pretty decent and staying thin everywhere except my tummy, so I didn't have much external motivation.

3. meat was a joke in the first tri, except eggs occasionally. I found that scrambled whole eggs actually tasted ok, so that was probably my main source. Now, I am 90% better. Steak seems to be the best option- I could eat that at about 12 weeks.

4. I still cook with olive oil occasionally and eat a lot of natty pb. That's prob about it besides my prenatal. I used to love fish, but honestly, I don't think I have had any since I got pg except one can of tuna.

12. KatieB

KatieB Fake It Until You Make It

1) I haven't been keeping strict track of calories, but I can ballpark it anywhere between 1800-2600 cals per day, depending on my appetite. I've only gained about a pound and a half so far, 9 weeks.

2) I trained normally up to about 5 weeks or so and ever since I've been way too tired. Hoping to get back in the next couple of weeks.

3) I was grossed out by meat for awhile, but now I am starting to hate cheese lol so I am moving back to meat this weekend.

4) I haven't been, but I'm picking up a supplement this weekend. There's one called Expectrol but it's basically just an overpriced fish oil supp. My OB said it was fine and actually gave me a hard time for not taking one already. However, I didn't take EFAs with my first and she's a genius so... :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007