Any Moms required to travel for work?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by pixie, Dec 12, 2007.

1. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

I'm curious to know if any other Moms here have to travel for work and can't take their babies/ children / assorted family members with them and how you deal with it? How do your kids and spouses deal with it?

My job requires that I travel and during peak conference times, about 5 months out of the year, I'm away from home 6-10 nights a month. This isn't something I can re-negotiate at this stage in my career, plus advancement is likely to mean more travel, not less.

We're not planning to start a family any time soon, but I'm interested to know how any of you in a similar position handle things.

Thanks in advance!
    Jennifer

2. Carrie

Carrie My 3 babies!!!

Hmmm...that's a tough one. My job doesn't require any travel so I have no real tips on the issue. I just want to say that starting a family will require you to prioritize and shift some things around in your life. Everything can be worked around...you can hire sitters, have family members to be there when you're not, etc. But it will come down to what impact will that have on your baby...especially during the infant/toddler stage. Not having mommy around for so many days out of the month may be hard on a little one...and as a mom it isn't something I'd want to do (this part I didn't expect until after I had my baby...it's much harder to stay away from them than you may imagine).

3. strive4more

strive4more Member

My sister traveled for her job. She paid for my Mom (didn't work) to fly to her meetings and she took the baby with her.

4. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

That part worries me already.

5. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

That thought never crossed my mind, but, it's a pretty good one. It might depend on if my mom has retired, or not, by then.

6. rogmel

rogmel back in the game!

My very good friend travels quite a bit and often it is abroad......she goes to India often. They have a 3 kids.......they have a nanny that cares for the kids each day and comes to their home.......so there is no mad dash in the morning to get to the sitter........and her husband is awesome.......he can totally cover everything while she is gone......that takes training!!! He travels quite a bit as well.......so occasionally it takes strategic planning. Each family has to set it up to work for them.....they have NO family around......

7. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

A nanny that comes to the house is my dream come true in my little mommy fantasy.

There is a lot to consider and I'm starting to think transferring to another position, requiring less travel, might not be a bad idea.