BEWARE! Rant About The $&#!&$ Scale!

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Erik, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

I am the same way... Ideally, I would prefer the scale not to change while my bodyfat goes down (although I do realize the odds of this happening are pretty small). I have never really cared about the scale... as long as the measurements go down/the mirror is kind to me, it is all that really matters :wink:

2. Erik

Erik Admin

:clap:

3. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

That is awesome! :thumb: I would love that it happens to me! Well... maybe not the 225lbs part LOL! :lol3:

4. Neely

Neely lolz

I get crap from the nurses all the time.

One time I went in for my annual and I was probably only a couple weeks out from show. The next time I went in, I was way off season. So once the nurse weighs me out that second time and writes it in my charts, she says, "Oh, you've gained twenty pounds from last time you were in." I say, yeah, I know. She just looks at me like, "aren't you concerned??" I just had to laugh to myself.

Same thing has happened in the reverse, I go from a previous off season weight to an in season weight and the nurse says, "you've lost twenty pounds from last time. Good for you!" Again, I just have to laugh.

ETA - even had a doc one time keep asking me through the whole exam if I was on gear. :lol:

5. Espi

Espi perfumes, not chocolate!

Is it? 30% loss relative to total loss is a number I've seen all around. A crappy loss was 80% which is what happened when I ate less than 500kcal for 2 weeks because I was too ill to eat more.
    So , a 30% loss is pretty normal and average to me.

6. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I'm not saying that it isn't the 'norm' b/c I don't know much on the issue. But, that is one of my fears about dieting. You work hard to gain mass and, to me, losing any amount of it is scary. I know it happens, I just don't like the thought of it. :lol3:

7. gluteus maximus

gluteus maximus 2010 is my year

Okay, here is what goes through my mind with the scale.

I asked a question a few months back about how much muscle a woman could possibly gain, and the concensus seemed to be about 10 lbs per year, meaning less than a lb a month.

If I'm dieting for 4 weeks and hoping to lose 1 lb a week,
    I would expect to see 3 lb drop in the scale.

When it's not moving, I feel like I'm not losing the fat I should be, and that is discouraging.

8. Erik

Erik Admin

Yes ... to you.

This shouldn't even be CLOSE to average unless you're already lean and going to ripped. It's then that retaining muscle becomes very hard.

Not for people that aren't already lean to begin with.

If it is, it's time to reassess your strategies.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

That's really just a number that's thrown out there. There are variables that change that.

And yet again, if you have stable bodyweight but measurement drops everywhere, what's happening? You're getting smaller, so you're losing fat.

The scale doesn't tell you that.

10. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

if the scale doesnt move for me this comp diet, Im going to have to consider BB. :lol:

jk.

example of meaningless weight. Current weight: 160. several people think I look like 130.

11. Alicrmt

Alicrmt Something's gotta give!

I agree with this too....to a point. My doc seemingly approached this in a very politically correct way last week by asking ME "so how do you feel about your weight" :lol3:

I was all like - you want me to flex for you :bitch: :lol3:

12. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

Yeah, you are always my "go to" example.

13. Espi

Part of the huge 'LBM" loss is just plain water loss because oftentimes a larger weight gain is because of a periodic very high carb intake, upon which I resume low-carb dieting , so the pic isn't as dramatic as it looks on paper.
    Also, some people just bloat more from carbs than others. E.g. until I came off the very low carb diet, and started to systematically eat more carbs, I'd gain a whopping 3 kilogram (6.6 lbs) from a mere 100g extra carbs, because of lacking digestive enzymes. Nowadays, I sometimes barely see a blip on the scale after 200g extra carbs. Though something with too much fiber (yesterday's beans) still make me retain tons of water.

Another part could be genetic disposition and tendency to overtrain for myself. For others.. perhaps they are underestimating actual LBM loss?

14. Blondell

:wth:

I'm sorry but I couldn't get past this.

**going back to read the rest** :lol:

15. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

I don't own a scale.

16. Blondell

What does this have to do w/ LBM loss?
    Or, perhaps, you could be overestimating? It really just seems like alot to lose to me. I'm about to do two shows about 8 weeks apart. I've lost a total of 30lbs so far. That would be about 9lbs of LBM lost for me (according to what you are saying). I plan to drop more weight in b/w shows. That would mean a total loss of over 10lbs LBM for me in the time it takes to prep for 2 shows, if I'm natty. I'm gonna have to go w/ Erik on this one and say if you are losing that much, there may be something else you wanna check and not just play the cursed genetics card.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Espi

Now I'm suddenly reminded of a post from one of the resident powerlifters describing how he'd gained nearly 20lbs in 1 day after a weigh-in for a meet.
    See how you can get quite high LBM-gains/losses?

All you can measure is the non-fat loss/gain. Non-fat mass is bones, organs, muscles, water and everything but fat.

Like insulin resistance and poor digestion of starches? On refeeds or free meals that have a lot of starches, I routinely take digestive enzymes to help out.

18. Blondell

There is a difference b/w weight and LBM. LBM does weigh something, but weight is the sum total of many factors. LBM is only one of many factors that come into play w/ weight. I think you are using the two interchangeably.

19. Blondell

Would you mind telling me how insulin resistance affects LBM loss during dieting? Or direct me to the info? I need to read up on that. I've never researched it and cannot comment on it. :eek:

20. Erik

Erik Admin

:blink:

Good grief.