Bison

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Pinky, May 12, 2006.

1. Pinky

Pinky MIA

Not sure if I should put this here or in the Recipe section....

I have seen a few of you mention you eat bison. What is it like? How do you cook/serve it? Are the macros comparable to beef?

2. kelly

kelly New Member

3. dare

dare I'm not fat...I'm pregnant!

Bison is awesome! Tastes just like hamburger, but is SUPER lean! We usually have bison burgers...BBQ'd...Yum!

Has a lot less fat than beef & I think less cals too.(?)...not sure exactly what the macros are.

4. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

have you ordered from here before? not too many "bison shops" in DC area and I miss it. :(

5. kelly

kelly New Member

No, not from there...we buy it here in Wisconsin from a bison farm. They deliver to our home in the city. :)

6. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

ok.

two questiosn for everyone then

1) anyone know of butchers in the DC area who have Bison?
    2) anyone order it online and are happy with the service/quality?

7. Lynda

Lynda New Member

Mmmm Bison is so great! In Alberta, Canada it is very common to buy just about anywhere. and it's usually cheaper than extra lean ground beef.
    Bison, Elk Meat, Deer, Moose Meat too! It's all good.
    and of course 100% Pure Alberta Beef too :hi:

8. hemi

hemi Member

Can't help you with your questions kiwi, but you may want to try giving your local independant organic stores a ring to see if they know of any Bison farms.

Just wanted to add how much we love Bison. And if you have an opportunity to try Elk....imo, it is even better than Bison. Luckily we have an Elk farm near where we live.

9. Mandy

Mandy Hulkamania is runnin' wild

I always liked shooting them on Oregon Trail.

10. PinkGlitter86

PinkGlitter86 i want solutions, not excuses

:lol: Me too!!!

11. homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom Well-Known Member

Kiwi, if you find a local distributor, would you PM me? I would love to try it. Hmmm, come to think of it, I have a friend who is a butcher out here in Loudoun county. I'll get in touch with him and see if he has any sources. I'll let you know what he says. :)

12. Swiss

Swiss Member

This is good to know. We have a bison shop about 2 miles from my house. I drive by there all the time and see the bison grazing out in the pasture.

Does it taste "game-y"??

13. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

BTW - Fuddruckers (sp?) makes buffalo burgers. Pretty good. There are a couple in the VA metro area.

14. Sarah

Sarah Well-Known Member

tastes kinda like peppery ground sirloin to me.

15. Pinky

Pinky MIA

I am from Alberta, but I have not seen it in my local grocery stores. I just saw a sign for a butcher shop today that had it. Can I get it anywhere else other then a butcher shop

16. Swiss

Swiss Member

tastes kinda like peppery ground sirloin to me. [/b][/quote]
    Okay...thanks.

17. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

I like it once and a while. We ate it a lot of kids, as my uncle has a buffaol farm, BUT I don't think it tastes like hamburger and more than veggie ground round does. In sauces and whatnot, sure, but the meat on it's own is "gamey" IMO. Good, but gamey.

18. cm13cm

cm13cm Member

my dad is a hunter and a fisherman. he has the meat proccessed so we eat venison and antelope all year long. when it starts running out its hunting season again. its very good and very lean. you have to be careful when you cook it so it doesn't dry out. the best are these wild rice venison sausages he gets. there is a little pork in them so i don't have them very often. next month he's going to canada for salmon fishing. im hoping he brings me some back.

19. Lynda

Lynda New Member

I am from Alberta, but I have not seen it in my local grocery stores. I just saw a sign for a butcher shop today that had it. Can I get it anywhere else other then a butcher shop [/b][/quote]
    Really? I can find ground bison meat at Co-op all the time :blink:
    The Moose Meat and Elk and Deer is usually like when someone goes hunting and wants to give some away to be friendly.

I've also seen the Bison at IGA too.

It looks just like ground beef so you really have to read the labels carefully, or to save time and just get to the bottom of the matter ask someone in the Meat Department...

I live in a small rural town, so maybe the local stores have some type of deal with the surrounding bison ranchers etc...
    (sorry for all the "edits" I just can't spell today!)

20. Christine_99

Christine_99 Well-Known Member

I'm in Regina (SK) and we can get Bison at the Co-ops here too. FWIW. I haven't looked for it anywhere else.