Bodyfat % for competing

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Petro, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

I am going to try to get the DEXA done before the show to see what a more accurate BF level is. Everyone thinks that they are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY leaner then they actually are.:shhh:

2. Erik

Erik Admin

But to put some math to this for you.

Let's assume a bodyweight of 155. At 20% that gives you 124lbs of LBM and 31lbs of fat. To be 11% would mean, assuming no change in muscle mass, weighing 139lbs. So basically 16lbs of fat. Not impossible in 11 weeks. But not easy either.

The reality of it is the simple fact that most people aren't as lean as they think they are.

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i wanted to compare this cut to last yrs with a Dexa. Doc didnt want me to do it..

4. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:
    I finally got this one through my head.
    Hey, if I look fluffy but the BF test says I'm 10% BF, is that gonna make me feel better? No. So why would I care if I look lean yet the BF test says 15%, or 20%?

5. rainy

rainy Meat-building phase

I was tested by this same person before my last show, and then I was 9%. I'm 27 lbs heavier today than competition weight :oops:.
    I would like to come in now about 10 lbs heavier as I was a shrimp last time, but I would like the % to be around the 10ish mark.
    I want to get ripped, god damn it :banghead:

So that puts it down to 17 lbs and 10% to lose in 11 weeks. I'll do whatever it takes!!! :angel:

6. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

not to burst your bubble but I doubt you were 10% then and will be 10% this time. just focus on your conditioning, dont overthink things, k. :)

7. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

The woman in this pic is reportedly at 9%:

[​IMG]

8. Erik

Erik Admin

No way. Send me a picture.

A 9% female is nearly equal to a 4% male. On a 7-site JP equation, the exact same millimeter totals result in a 5% different between genders due to the inherent sex-specific assumptions.

9. fatty27

fatty27 Member

Damn...you can see every single muscle in her leg.....something I was tested on at my job interview:sad:

10. liz jaeger

liz jaeger Member

:popcorn:

waiting for Erik's rant/blog !!

11. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

I think he has already started it here :lol: the point is when you see a figure girl say she is 10% or less even...most likely it is NOT accurate. Stop basing your 'results' on the BF test. use measurements and the mirror and even weight to guide you....

12. I've only used the durnin wormsley formula for b.f. Calipers are only within 3% plus or minus accuracy--I mainly just use it as a guideline--and I have the same person pinch(dan) in the same place everytime. I would love to get that DXA scan--just so darn expensive!

13. Redone

Redone Member

Leigh Peele made a video where she shows people at various body fat levels. . . avidityfitness.net

She still was a little to generous - the VS model was definitely a higher bf% than she said

14. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I totally agree with this. My trainer, for my first show said I was at 7%, this was about 1-2weeks prior to the show. I actually got a lower placement (according to the judges) for being too lean. My tan, makeup, and posing werent the best either though. However, I stll dont think I was at 7. My mm measurement on my abdomen was 3-4mm though. :D
    [​IMG][​IMG]

My second one, I was supposedly at 6.4% again, about 1-2 weeks before the show. My composition was different than the first (I was definitely leaner in my legs, but less lean in my upper body). But again, I really dont think I was 6.4. In reality Im thinking 11-12%. My picture in my avatar was from that show. I felt less lean than the first one. Although everyone kept telling me I looked leaner..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Erik

Erik Admin

No, definitely not.

16. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

In your opinion what percentage would you guess?

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Does it really matter? It's just another number. :shrug:

18. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

It doesn't matter. But im still curious. it is like wanting to know someones age, or anything else really. It isn't like at this point I can go back and do more cardio lol. But it is part of me learning something.

19. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

You were definitely not 7%. I would say you were probably around 12%.

20. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

I knew I wasnt 7%. I was guessing 11-12 as well actually. Right now Im supposedly at 10%, but I think Im really at 13-14%.