Calories while breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by GirlyNYmama, Nov 10, 2012.

1. GirlyNYmama

GirlyNYmama New Member

Hello everyone, I had a baby 2 months ago (my third). I've been following LBC/MMT for several months. I'm having a hard time figuring out how much I should be eating while breastfeeding. I weigh around 150 and have been eating 1800-2000 calories a day & have lost all my baby weight & am getting quite toned :). I'm finding, however, that come evening time I am ravenous with hunger. It's not norma "oh I'm slightly hungry" kind of hunger...it's more like "don't get your hand near my mouth because I might eat it" type of hunger. Should I be eating some more calories? Or am I on track? When I tell people I eat 2000 a day, they just about fall over because it sounds like so much.

Thank you in advance for your help!

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna!

you;re breastfeeding, you should be eating at maintenance. There is plenty of time for deficits when done.

3. GirlyNYmama

GirlyNYmama New Member

Thank you!!!

4. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Member

I've been nursing/pumping for 13 months now, and I'm starting to ween and stop all together. I'm cutting it down week by week to avoid extreme engorgement. I had a very large milk production. At one point, I was doing over 120 oz per day, and I saved 10,000 oz in between 3 freezers. My calorie requirement was through the roof!!! I have never eaten so much in my entire life. I stopped counting calories, but I'm pretty sure I was consuming over 2500 per day. I've just started with LBC, and I'm losing weight every week, but I think it's because I'm still nursing. And I'm not trying to lose weight. I'm actually 10lbs below where I started pre-pregnancy. I have no idea what to expect once I quit. Does my metabolism go back to what it was before the baby? Is it more elevated than it was before the pregnancy? Am I going to start putting on pounds quickly? Any moms out there that can answer the question? All of my friends/family members say that they immediately started getting fat. What happens to your body when you stop?

5. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Good question. I'd like to know too??? I'm currently breastfeeding a 7 month old and started with CWT a couple weeks ago. I'm not sure when I plan to stop breastfeeding but I'm hoping to feed for at least till he's a year and a half.

6. Asemesky

Asemesky New Member

I am nursing baby #3 and have never put the weight back on after I stopped nursing. I just adjusted my calories. That is A LOT of frozen milk!! Wow!! I was eating close to 2200/2300 for awhile but now Steph has me on much, much less. So, I'll see how it affects my supply and how my weight may change!

7. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Member

Well, I've stopped. Yesterday was my first day without nursing or pumping, so I will let you guys know what happens. I can tell you that I'm up a pound already, but I'm sure some of it is unexpressed milk. I also have not been hungry yesterday or today. I had a very slooooow metabolism prior to my pregnancy. I also have hypothyroidism, so we will see what happens. I'm really hoping that 14 months of eating without abandon has managed to fix/restore my metabolism to a decent working order.