Eating for Fat Loss Vs Muscle

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by irishfrcrkr, Nov 7, 2011.

1. irishfrcrkr

irishfrcrkr New Member

After reading much of the forum, I now find myself with a bit of a dilemma. I am on the waiting list and am anticipating the 4 months or more waiting period and I am very optimistic that I will have my program by end of March- early April. In the meantime, I want to ensure that I am doing the best that I can to "prep" myself for when I get my actual plan.

When I filled out my questionaire for Erik, I initially listed fat loss as my main goal thinking that muscle gains would come right along with the training since I would be also be following his training program as well. Now, after all the reading that I have done, I am now questioning that main goal based on all the great information I have read in the forums. Here's why:

My ulitmate goal is to compete in the fall of 2012 (not exactly sure when or where yet). I know that I do have muscle building to do but I also know that I will have to shed about 15% BF before I step on stage. If what I am reading is correct, I probably don't want to be at a calorie restriction if I want to build muscle yet I know that I have quite a bit of body fat to lose as well so I dont want to be gaining weight either.

I probably should note that I am getting married in July 2012. Now I know most brides would be concerned with losing 20-30 pounds before their wedding date and all the little details that go into the day. (strict dieting and tons of cardio) However, my main focus is preparing myself to be the best that I can be when I step on that stage in the fall.

Dont get me wrong, we are both very excited for our big day, but this wont be our first rodeo and at the age of 43, we dont need or want the hoopla and our small celebration is perfect for us. I am very lucky that my fiancee is a former competitor and is very supportive of my goal. He just asked that I please not compete until after the wedding, which I agreed to do. So, based on that, I know that I will I will be able to be compliant even though we will be going through the wedding process.

SO.......I guess I am just looking for opinions or guidance as to the best path for me to follow until I am able to start my plan with Erik. Should I choose a calorie level (appropiate protein/carb/fat ratios) that would place me in maintenance, surplus or shoot for fat loss?

I know that this is pretty general and it is hard to get specific but any insight or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!
    Lisa

2. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Fat loss first. Muscle second. If you lift heavy while dieting you'll be surprised what gets revealed. It's awesome. Fat loss first. You have time to diet down, build some, and diet for a show especially if your metabolism isn't completely screwed. I say diet for a while, then take a little time at maintenance right before your name should be. Coming up on the infamous list. Just my two cents :) good luck. 12x BW for calories 1-1.5g protein per pound you weigh. Fats and carbs can be played with a little. That's a dieting guideline, but not set in stone.

3. irishfrcrkr

irishfrcrkr New Member

Thanks Steph - That's basically what I have done at this point. I spent three hours Monday night analyzing my diet journal and actually found that I am eating well below 12xbw and not getting enough calories even though I felt I was eating much more. So I came up with a daily menu and food log that I am following to the tee! I am lucky that I drink water like a fiend so that part is taken care of. Its amazing what a difference in my energy levels that 600 calories makes! Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

4. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Your welcome :) glad to help. 600 calories is a lot. Glad you upped them. I like to think of calories as units of energy (rather than Satans tools of misery) :funny: I was doing the same low calories but lots of BLTs and off plan meals. No progress for a long time.

5. Trapezoid

Trapezoid New Member

Great advice Steph! Thanks!

6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I second going with fat loss first, because you gain fat while bulking too, not just muscle. There is also the possibility you can put on muscle while dieting if you're:
    • New to training;
    • New to effective training;
    • Coming back after a long layoff.
    It's not something you can count on, but it may happen.

7. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

This would explain my shoulder growth right now!! :D

8. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

:thumb:

9. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

I have the same general question. I don't know if I should be in maintenance, deficit or surplus right now.

I was in diet mode for 9 months this year and my calories were between 6-8xBW. Finally decided to give it up since I wasn't making progress. So I've increased my cals and decreased my cardio, and I lift heavy. I thought I was in building mode, however when I checked my calories I'm struggling to get 12xBW.

If I do fat loss mode before muscle building, I should probably continue to do what I'm doing. I don't think I should adjust my calories any lower though since I did that all year to no avail. But should I quit trying to lose fat now? Should I maybe increase my cals even more until I get my plan? I probably have another month or 2 on the wait list.

My goal is to compete in May, so if I get my plan in Jan, I don't want to gain weight (fat) at that point. If I'm going to gain, I'd rather do it now. Maintenance calories for me and my fabulous metabolism would probably make me gain fat. So I don't know what to do while I wait. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

goodness bwx 6-8! Eek!

sounds like you've spent enough time at low cals and need to increase them, slowly.. .. At the rate you've increased them , are you gaining?
    you might want to consult with E and see what he suggests in the interium?

11. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

I believe I've gained, but not significantly. I'm avoiding the scale, which is probably a good thing. Any number I see on it will depress me. But I haven't had to buy new clothes yet, so I haven't gained that much.

12. Kelly Davis

Kelly Davis New Member

So, to re-cap, 10 - 12 x bw for fat loss. 1 - 1.5g protein per lb./bw. What about the carb ratio? I thought I read somewhere 1 - 1.5g of carb per lb/bw too? Is that a good rule of thumb for fat loss? Fat would make up the rest? I also read not to eat fat and carbs at the same meal. Does any of this make sense?:unsure: Also, while eating for fat loss, do you eat the pwo? Are you suppose to do the Heavy/light upper, light/heavy lower, etc. while trying to lose fat? Soooo many questions!!!:unsure:

13. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I think the not eating fat and carbs together thing is a myth. You can eat them together.

I think the 1-1.5g carbs/lb sounds about right, but someone else might want to chime in there. ~12xBW to start.

PWO, yes you wanna eat!! Carbs and protein!!

As far as weights and lifting goes, what grows muscle keeps muscle. So yes you still wanna lift heavy. I think there are lots of different "regimens" you can use to do this though. Might take a look in the training section!

14. Kelly Davis

Kelly Davis New Member

Thanks for the feed back, Ila! I have been doing maybe 50 carbs per day, so this is gonna be a huge change.

15. Miss Silly

Miss Silly The Peanut Gallery

BAHAHAHHA. This made me laugh so hard. But you have such a great point.