Finding the Time

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Erik, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

Many people struggle with time, squeezing in their workouts, etc. How can they fit them in?

I think this is all an issue of planning, or lack thereof personally.

Thoughts? Suggestions to the very busy that don't think they have the time to be consistent?

2. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Great question because I have so many friends that complain about this. I am a bad person to ask because working out is like brushing my teeth. I just do it. I think it comes down to priority and balance. In my life I could not imagine time not to train but I do understand that many of my friends do not have the passion I do. So to the beginner trainer I suggest do what you can. If it is twice a week that is better than nothing. It is all individual. Start with what you know you can do and later if you enjoy it add more. Something is better than nothing.

3. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

I agree that people do what they like. Getting workouts in is usually not a problem for me, even if I'm busy, because they get a higher priority than other things. When I was in school I would literally figure out when I would be working out at the same time I figured out my class schedule.

So far, during my working life I've always been lucky enough to be paid and required to workout. I think some companies have time matching programs, where the company will give 30 minutes if the employee gives 30mins of their own time...

My problem is making the time to cook :dry: I never want to do that.

4. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Planning is definitely key, but I also think that making yourself a priority is important. I know as a mom, I am so busy making sure everyone else's needs are being met that sometimes I wouldn't stop and make sure that mine were being met as well. Now, kind of like DonnaJo said, working out is not an option, it is just worked into the schedule just like my job or dinner :) You really do have to make this a lifestyle.

5. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

:yeahthat: If it's an option you will find excuses about why you should put it off. I think surrounding yourself with like minded ppl and taking advantage of the resources around you helps also. I've learned so much from this board including how to use the down time of my family to my advantage. This is why I train at dark thirty when everyone else is sleeping. I don't have the luxury of fitting it in during the day "sometime"

6. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

As a working Mom, I have to be flexible with my workout schedule, so that means some nasty 6:00 a.m. workouts. I can also be flexible with my work hours, so I sometimes get to work for 7:00 so I can leave at 3:00 and hit the gym before picking up the offspring. I have a skipping rope at home that helps me fit in some at-home cardio while the kids are occupied (usually "working out" with me!). Having a supportive spouse who is also hands-on with the kids helps!

As other posters said, you have to make time for ourself a priority too! I think that we can always make time for what is important to us.

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

when my 5 were younger, it was dark:30 for sure..Now i actually prefer the early day workout knowing i've gotten it done and out of the way..

Me time is just as important as taking care of the rest of the family.

8. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

I will echo others who have said you need to prioritize your fitness, as well as take care of yourself. As a working mom, I think it’s also good to start looking at how you spend your “not so productive” time when you are running your kids everywhere.

I was always extremely involved in my daughter’s activities, from coaching to boards and committees. Even with all of that, there was still my share of sitting in the stands, watching practice. IMO this is the perfect time to get in a run or a walk, while still being right there with your kids. Some schools also had gyms I could get into. I did playground workouts, ran steps and in really bad weather would actually just walk through the school for an hour with my headphones. It's really not that hard, to fit it in if you want to.

9. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Great point Cass! I do this now when it is my cardio days. Take DD to Rec center for gymnastics and hit the treadmill. I would just be sitting there otherwise gabbing away.

Another thing I would suggest when STARTING the habit, do it first thing in the morning. You will find a million things to keep you from doing it later in the day.

10. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Yep, I do this, too. Football practice I ran sprints (with my daughter sometimes...you can make it a game). Basketball practice there is a track...or you can just walk.

ETA: You kind of have to be willing to stand out in the crowd to do this...I think the other mom and dad's there think I am a weirdo...but oh well. :shrug:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  11. GinnyLou

GinnyLou New Member

I think there are just people out there who don't want to make the time to work out. I am also a working Mom and I've even gotten a little attitude because it is a priority to get to the gym, in the evenings. Almost like I am a bad Mom for doing that?! Ot hat my kids are suffering for the hour, they are in the kids room.
    It is now just what we do.

12. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

I agree with others.

I make it a priority! I try and go before I pick up dd but if I can't like last night then she goes to the kids club (and loves it btw) while I work out.

I love my ex sis-n-law to pieces but she uses the I just can't find the time excuse until this last time I was over and she said I know I need to make it a priority.....hopefully she will.

13. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Shedding the pig fat.

You mean you're not?!??? :dope:

Now you tell me! :laugh:

:jk:

14. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

I agree. I got looks all the time.

But, we like to stand out, right? :flex:

15. Camogirlie

Camogirlie New Member

I think it takes a special kind of person to fall inlove with working out, and make it a lifestyle.. you have to be willing to sacrafice things.. and some people are just to impatient and are not willing to make it PART of there life, not just something they do every now and then. Hence the reason why most newbies give up around the beginning of feb or so.. I know i personally get up at 3am to hit the gym so that i can be to work at 6am. Once im off work its back to the gym to do cardio. I like my life the way it is..I dont care that i go to bed at *sarcastic gasp* 6:30pm so that i can still get plenty of sleep. This is my life, and in the end i will have a rocken body, and everyone else who keeps making exscuses will still have beer bellies and muffin tops!

16. Erik

Erik Admin

A very good point.

There is definitely a price to pay. There's a cost to getting in shape and you have to be willing to pay it.

1. For me personally, if I had to train at that hour, or get up that early, it would really take the fun out of it for me. At this point in my life, I'm fortunate that I can choose to train when I want to train.

2. I hate the idea of twice a day training, at least being in the gym twice a day. I don't mind doing a second session, but I'd want to be able to either do it at home, or outside.

17. jackie

jackie Well-Known Member

For me I make it a priority. I have 4 children (7,6,4, & 4) and workout at home. When they were babies I would do a step tape or a firm tape with hand weights in the living room. Then once I got into heavy weights they would go down celler with me (1 side is a play room and 1 side a workout room). I would leave a swing down there. At first it was a little challenging but they have always seen me do it. I never waited for nap time, I wanted to rest at that time.

18. Ali

Ali Senior Member

A little bit. I wouldn't like it if people did not like me b/c of it, but if it's positive attention, then yes.

I had an overweight woman ask me about staying in shape once after a track workout. I thought that was cool and positive.

19. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

I agree with most of this, but I think balance is important. I want to look good sure, but I also want to be able to spend time with my family and friends. I don't want to live just for a rocken, beer belly and muffin top free body. I still want to live, I may not be eating all the goodies and basing my social outings around food and drinks but I still want to be part of a social group despite my training and working if that makes any sense.

20. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Yes finding the balance is very important. For me, I was not having that balance. I was spending hours doing cardio, etc. It does not have to be this way. If I stay tight on my diet my cardio is at a very minimum- almost more of a stress relieve then a stress to do it. It has been much easier for me to find the time now that I am training with Erik. My workouts do not take an hour and like I mentioned above, I am not doing hours of cardio. Some people are mislead into thinking they need to spend 2 hours at the gym. I say spend less time there and more time prepping healthy food choices.