Getting down into a "FULL SQUAT"

Discussion in 'Training' started by pavermama, May 3, 2011.

1. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

Now, I can do a pretty deep squat comfortably but I cannot get down into a full squat. It seems that I can't get my butt down below my knees. I can get to a 90 degree but no further. I feel like I'm going to fall backwards so I don't know if I'm not placing my body right, like maybe keeping my shoulders back too much. I'd post a video of me doing it but I don't have the technology unfortunately. What do you do to keep your balance? Maybe do front squats for awhile till I get adjusted to it? :baby:

2. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

Lack of hip mobility? Do you do dynamic stretching/activation work? Have you tried it with just the bar? You could widen your stance a little bit.

3. Shannaks

Shannaks This seat's taken

My hips are pretty tight and even after good mobility warm up and stretching I found that if I keep my stance a little more narrow I can do a deeper squat. If my stance is wider I can barely get to a 90 deg angle.

4. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

I was wondering if my stance was too wide. My feet are definately farther then shoulder width apart when I do the squats. It's where I'm comfortable. I checked to see if I could even get down that far without anything and by holding onto something I can get that far down. I don't think it's because I'm too tight. That was my first thought but I got there without wt. so maybe it is my stance. I'll work on that and see if that helps. Thx!!

5. Shannaks

Just play around with it. That is what I had to do. I was getting frustrated as to why I couldn't go past 90deg and then I started playing around with my stance and BAM I squatted all the way down. Its funny I have an almost 3 year old that thinks its funny to copy me when I do squats with my kettlebells, and if you ever watch little kids squat down they have perfect form. Mostly due to well insane flexibility but their center of gravity as well. So I was actually mimicking her and I was able to go deeper into my squat. Works for both front and rear squats.

6. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

And I'm the opposite- maybe it has something to do with my wide child-bearin hips :lol: cause narrow(er) stance and I can't get down deep enough.

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

:chairshot: you havent popped out any kiddos yet!

MY childbearing popped out 5 hips are much happier with a wider stance but then is all hips and not quads..

8. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

:lol3: Could've fooled me. :p

9. Shannaks

I popped out two kiddos and a wider stance is uncomfortable. Weird!!!

10. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Aside from keeping your feet shoulder width apart, you can also try turning your feet out at about a 30* angle. That puts you in what's called an athletic stance.

11. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

I got legs to do tomorrow so I will definately play around a bit with the stance and just stay pretty light on the weight until I can get my form down. I've had 2 kids both C-section because they wouldn't come out my narrow hips but for the life of me I have a wide squat stance naturally. Maybe if I can bring in my legs to shoulder width my ass will fill out a little more!!! :grrr:

12. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

13. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

That vid was a huge help to me!! I always pull my chest up out of my squat and push my hips forward. I waaaaay gotta work on my squat now! I got down just about as far as in the video but didn't push the back of my ass up like he did. Thanks a bunch for that one!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Wonder if that poor fella got a nice bruise on his low back :lol:

15. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

I know!!! I wanted to turn around and punch him just from watching the video!!!!

16. Phoenix17

Phoenix17 Member

That was a great video! I also use my chest rather than my rear, good visual. I will be checking out the mirror the next time I squat.

17. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Thanks for posting that video, TeachK.

18. Shekerr

Shekerr New Member

I always thought I was suppose to look up...learning lots here:)

19. LoriZ

LoriZ Member

Me too! Here I thought I was doing them wrong. As I go heavier, I can't keep my chest up and would catch myself leaning forward a bit. I guess I wasn't wrong. Well, except when I'm so far forward I'm driving through my toes instead of my heels. Then I should probably decrease the weight.

20. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

Thank you so much for posting that video! Now I know why my lower back was hurting and not my ass! Poor guy, though. His lower back must've been in pain :(