Getting down into a "FULL SQUAT"

Discussion in 'Training' started by pavermama, May 3, 2011.

1. gofigure

gofigure New Member

Great video! Thanks. I actually went lighter on my squats this morning because I thought I was doing them wrong! Maybe I need to readjust! :)

2. brooket

brooket Active Member

Just realized I am doing those wrong. Thanks for the bump on this post!

3. Shekerr

Shekerr New Member

so I really got the concept when it was mentioned their toddler did a perfect squat...so know I go LOW...but the anterior part of my right upper leg, right where the bend is (soo sorry, don't know the correct way to explain!)) is sore...and I am not sure if it is just because i haven't been doing them correctly long enough or if it is more of an injury. this is about the only time it really hurts...hoping it will pass.
    "rolling" on it is painful but I've been doing that also.

4. acechick19

acechick19 New Member

How low should you go?

5. jimbob12

jimbob12 Guest

I only ever do dumbbell sqats, and because of that I can't go down as low as I should due to the weights hitting the floor first. There's not much I can do about that when I'm working out from home and there's no weight rack.

6. lka

lka Member

love this video. Couldn't help but laugh every time the guy was getting hit on the back but I learned a lot. Leg day tomorrow!!

7. gymrat_at44

gymrat_at44 Member

So LBC'ers - help here... currently don't have access to equipment that was shown in the video, just dumbbells - what do you do? Go as far as you can go???

We do have a bench press that has a talk rack - use it?

8. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

I just now realized that I have not been doing full squats correctly! This video was helpful! Tomorrow is leg day and I'm going to practice going deeper and pulling up through my hips! The squats on my plan are done with my feet elevated on plates, which I think might make getting deeper a little easier and put more emphasis on my quads. Tomorrow is my leg day and I will have to reduce my weight while I work on correcting my form. Thank you for sharing this video! So helpful!

9. jlg67

jlg67 New Member

Ok am looking for the full squat video but cannot find it, any tips?

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Exercise Demo?

11. cg8216

cg8216 Member

I finally got a full squat! Very narrow stance is what did it. I kept hearing to go wider but my feet are probably 4"-6" apart. Any wider and I can't get my butt down. Today my legs are screaming but I am so happy I finally got it!

12. jlg67

jlg67 New Member

Found it a couple pages back, the Rippetoe video, I know I need to get lower in my full squats and am always looking for new tips. Those and dead lifts are my major downfalls, and I know with proper form you can make great improvements.

13. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Mark made this post on FB yesterday which i think some will find very helpful

14. Amy1984

Amy1984 Member

Yes! I read Marks post yesterday and I am eager to try squaring pushing my traps back into the bar to put more tension on my quads!

15. Ange

Ange Member

Shucks! I was excited to try this tonight, but its on my Thursday workout - c'mon Thursday!!

16. KellyK

KellyK New Member

I tried this this morning. Definitely works!

17. Ange

Ange Member

I watched the video again since this is in my workout tonight and I died laughing at Ileens comment. Had to watch that specific part again!! HAHA

18. Pixietoes

Pixietoes New Member

This thread has been a godsend. My husband and I have a home gym out in our morton building, so I do things alone. I could never squat with confidence. Pulling the weight off the bar today and working on the form. Thank you! Thank you!

19. Arajkowski

Arajkowski Active Member

This video helped me tremendously! It's a step by step progression for retracting you the motion of a squat. I was fixed in the first session!! I would always find myself on my toes or straining my anterior tibialis trying to stay back on my heels on a squat. My job requires a lot of driving so my hips are tight and also my calves. Dynamic warm ups help but so does extra calf massaging/stretching before you begin your workouts. I had no idea how bad my ankle mobility was. I also widened my hand placement on the bar. My rhomboids, lats, and traps are also really tight and when I had a "normal" shoulder width grip, I couldn't drop my lats or stick my chest up enough. By widening my grip it allowed me the ability to keep my chest up. Hope this helps someone.

http://youtu.be/FAu6b-KcK0U

20. Arajkowski

Arajkowski Active Member

Reteaching*** not retracting lol autocorrect FAIL