Greek Yogourt found in Ontario!

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Sandy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

For those board members living in Ontario or Quebec, I found Liberte Greek Yogourt last week at an independent grocery store and tonight I bought some from Loblaws. :yum:

2. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I found some in a grocery store that's part of a very small chain in Montreal and Laval a month or two ago. I don't remember offhand if it's the Liberte brand. I haven't bought any yet, because it's pretty pricey.

3. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

Loblaws was expensive. I think the small grocer was cheaper. I figure once and awhile I'm worth it! :lol:

4. Dawn64

Dawn64 Member

I have never tried it but also couldnt find it here in Ontario. I will look at loblaws in our little town...may not have it since it is such a small town, we will see.

AND yes you are worth it!!!:love:

5. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

I saw these at the HEB down here. They were out of Fage (which is ridiculously priced) so I looked around at some other brands. The Liberte all had clearance stickers on them and they were $.50. How much are they in Canada? I didn't buy any because I saw something about goat's milk so I just kept on walking! :lol:

6. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

$4.89 :faint:

On sale this weekend for $4.00.

(It's not goat's milk.)

7. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

That's about the price of the Greek yogourt I saw.

I have to go to the grocery store where they have it this weekend. I'll check to see if it is the Liberte brand.

8. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

I LOVE Greek yogurt! I've read that Greek yogurt is the same as regular except it has the whey strained out so it's thicker and has more protein per ounce than reg. It's very popular here in NY so I haven't had to try making it myself, but supposedly you can do so easily by straining reg plain yogurt.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4788361_greek-yogurt-save-money.html

• Like Like x 1
  9. glassmmam

glassmmam Well-Known Member

Dannon has come out with a greek yogurt too now ... my local grocery had an empty shelf for the Fage section, so had to get the Dannon ... was very very similar ... thick, rich, creamy and plain.

10. Sowbug

Sowbug Member

I get Fage from Costco for 5.99 for THIRTY TWO OUNCES.

So if you have a Costco close to you in Canada (i know some do), then hightail it over there and see what they have.

My sister, who is NOT a Costco fan (she'd rather support the local grocers) became one when I told her this price.

She was paying 2.49 for ONE SERVING.

I'm all for supporting the locals, but come on already. . . you know 3/4ths of that 2.49 is just gasoline expense for the big truck to bring it in..... and the jack up price OF the local grocer. . . . grrrr.

I buy about three tubs at a time as it lasts a MONTH after the purchase/opening date.

I should actually BE a tub of greek yogurt by now.

20grams of protein for 8 ounces and only 120 cals? Priceless! Tasty goodness too. . . .

Julia

11. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

We don't have Fage in Canada. I e-mailed the company.

Liberte is the first low fat, high protein Greek yogourt I have seen here. The other Greek yogourt I saw had a lot of fat per serving and there, less protein.

(No Costco membership anyway. They don't sell most of the brands I buy for processed foods.)

12. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

I tried that once, but didn't know how to figure out the macros. :scratch:

13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I went to the grocery store where I saw the Greek yogourt a while back, but they didn't have any today. I then headed off to another grocery store where they sell a lot of imported and ethnic foods to pick up a few things they have on special. On the way there I realized they may have Greek yogourt, so I checked it out when I got there. I found the Liberte brand, and it was on special at 3.69 for a 500 gr. container. So I picked one up and am going to try it tonight for my last meal. I'll let you all know what I think of it.

14. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:popcorn:

• Like Like x 1
  15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I'm eating my last meal right now. I mixed the Greek yogourt with PB, cinnamon and Splenda. All I have to say is :faint:.

16. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

macros are the same..Jen a while back had posted it/macros.

17. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

Wouldn't protein be higher as in store bought since it is denser?

18. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

oops sorry.. meant same as store bought vs home made..
    let me see if i can find it..

was
    120cal per serv 8oz and is it 227g's).. the carbs 9g and protein is 20g..

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  19. LifeLova

LifeLova Under construction

Voskos Greek Yogurt has 24g of protein in an 8oz serving and only 140 calories!!!

Voskos Yogurt

Attached Files:

20. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

It is really spendy here. Why are Canadian dairy companies so far behind on this trend?! It's maddening.

I can find the Liberte Greek yogurt at Planet Organic in Alberta.... 500g for $6. Since 175g is what it takes for a serving with ~20g protein, it's not exactly cost-effective, to say the least.