Greek Yogourt found in Ontario!

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Sandy, Jul 23, 2010.

1. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

I am with you guys, love Greek yogurt but hate the price - my brother solved the problem for me. He's been making his at home and the other day, I tried it. VERRRRRRRRRRYeasy and cheap. I made maybe a quart or more for the cost of a gallon of milk.

There's a video on YouTube I can look for, it was a bit confusing though, so here are the basic directions.

1) Heat a gallon of milk on the stove over low heat (4-5 setting) until the milk reaches 180 degrees. When the milk gets closer to 100+ you need to stir it more frequently.

2) Once it reaches 180 degrees, plunge the container directly into an ice bath until it reaches 110 degrees. You can also just pour the milk into another container, which is what I did. I used cold water and ice in the sink.

3) Once it reaches 110 degrees, take a few tablespoons of milk and mix it in with a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of live active culture yogurt. If you are going to add vanilla or other flavoring, now is the time to do it. Once this is mixed, pour the starter into the milk and mix together. You may want to take out 1/4 c. or so at this point to save as starter for your next batch.

4)Once it reaches 110 degrees, put your milk/yogurt into the oven with the oven light on for at least 8 hours. The longer you let it sit, the tangier it will be. It will keep at about 95-110 degrees with just the light on. Higher than that will kill the bacteria.

5)After sitting overnight, take out your yogurt, it should look thick now, and strain it. Use an old, clean T-shirt, or if you use cheesecloth, double it up. I used a kitchen towel that was clean and free of fabric softener. Set a collander over a container. Put your towel in the collander and dump the yogurt into it. Set all of this in the fridge to drain anywhere from 8-24 hours. The longer it strains the thicker and better it will be.

After that, just scoop it into containers and eat! Yummy! The working time is about 30 minutes, but it does take about a day to do it all. I also just used skim milk, no flavoring, but vanilla or capella drops would probably have been good. My brother uses 2% or Sweet Acidophilus and he LOVES it. I wanted fat free, and I just use the macros for Fage.

Ah, here's the video: How to Make Greek Yogurt

Ignore the part about cream, etc.

Enjoy!:cheat:

2. sunshinekisses

sunshinekisses Member

Easiest way to make Greek Yogurt:

Go buy plain yogurt (Astro 1% Balkan is my favourite) and strain it 24-48 hrs in a sive lined with a coffee basket filter. The excess whey(ie carbs) will drain out and what you'll be left with is Greek style yogurt.

3. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

How do you determine the macros?

4. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i was told it was fine to use the fage macros.. 120cals for 227/8oz

5. sunshinekisses

sunshinekisses Member

Well personally, I'm not THAT concerned about the macros being 100% accurate as I understand that even the macros on nutrition labels aren't 100%. I just assume its the same as the Greek yogurt I'd buy in the store.

so 1/2 cup: 0.5g fat, 4.5g carbs and 14g protein.

6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I bought some Liberte vanilla Greek yogourt today at the store where I found the regular flavour. They had both kinds on special at 1.49. I'm guessing it's because all the containers they had are getting fairly close to the expiry dates. So I picked up a container of each. I think I'm going to try the vanilla tonight. :hamster: The macros on it are as follows:

Calories: 150/175 gr.
    Protein: 18 gr.
    Fat: 0.4 gr.
    Carbs: 20 gr.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  7. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

Did you like the Vanilla?

8. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

About the same as the regular.

9. glassmmam

glassmmam Well-Known Member

I found that adding cinnamon to both the unflavored yogurt or even to cottage cheese really takes the "bite" out of the natural flavor ;)

ALSO ... found this posted on another site.

How to make Yogurt in your Crockpot!

I'm going to try it this weekend :yum:

10. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

I saw Oikos Organic Greek Yogourt at Loblaws for the first time today. I was all :shakeithappy: until I saw the price and then I was all :eh: and :blink:.

$3.49 for a single serving and $7.99 for the larger container.

I know this is at least twice as much as what I saw in the States. :tantrum:

11. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Those prices are highway robbery.

12. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

I don't know who is going to buy the product. I don't who to complain to about the price, the store or the yogourt company.

13. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Complain to the store. If they get enough complaints about the price they'll tell the distributor, who'll tell the yogourt company.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  14. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

It just keeps getting better. The grocery store now has the Greek yogourt on special for 0.99. I picked up two containers of the plain today. [​IMG]

15. Sandy

Sandy Well-Known Member

Nice! (Jealous. :dry: )

16. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I knew you would be. :p

17. Original Kloe®

Original Kloe® *sizzle*

Boooo! I've seen Liberte yogurts, but not Greek. There's Keifer or whatever, and goat yogurt, but no Greek! :tantrum: Maybe I'm just missing it?! Post a pic! :D

18. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Link to a blog post with a pic of a container of the stuff

I hope you find some, because it is the shiznit.

19. Original Kloe®

Original Kloe® *sizzle*

YAY!! Thanks!!! :D I obsessed over it when was living in California, but it was expensive there too!

I hope I can find it here!!!!

(I tried to rep you but I have to spread the love) :( Here's a hug as a condolence! :hug: :D

20. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

[​IMG]