Hair Loss

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by straitshooter, Apr 28, 2008.

1. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

How much is normal? I seem to be losing a ton of hair when I shower and comb thru my hair. Even when I pull the pony tail out, a ton of hair comes out too (and i use the 'ouchless' kind). I have noticed a large increase! It's like gobs and gobs at a time are coming out.

Anyone else have this problem? What could be the issue? I have a lot of hair anyway so I am not noticing 'thinning' hair by any means. I just am concerned. Could stress be causing this much hair loss? :grrr:(LOL @ that smiley)

2. pep

pep Active Member

I always lose a lot of hair - it drives my husband nutty because it gets all over everything. But, I always seem to grow more.

I did lose a LOT when I was contest prepping - I think because my fat was too low and my body was under extreme stress.

3. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Yes, stress could cause it. Are you making sure you get all the vits/min. you need?

4. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

:ditto: esp on the vits/minerals.

5. Lyn

Lyn 2nd String Bench Warmer

Stress always makes my hair break and shed. Usually when I'm stressed, the hair is the first place it affects.

6. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

Yes, i am very stressed. I just went to the doctor recently, for stress! And I will have to start taking my multi-vitamins again....I've been slack :( I didn't think it could be that closely related but I believe you guys and will get back on track w/ that. Thank you again.

7. Erik

Erik Admin

Thyroid healthy?

8. hydrick

hydrick Senior Member

I know with me I noticed it more when I was pregnant and when I wear my hair in a pony tail more often, :shrug:

9. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

Not only do the vitamins make a difference, but I notice when I go from being on plan and eating healthy to NOT... when I'm not for long enough it starts showing in the condition of my hair ..including losing more than usual. Stress would affects your hormones the same as diet can with a similar outcome.

That said, in the Spring and Fall one tends to lose and have new hair growth more than other times of the year.

10. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Me too. I know we were both on a basically no-added-fat program combined with 40+miles/wk of cardio.

11. synergyb3

synergyb3 Well-Known Member

I've had problems with hair loss, too. Stress can definitely cause it; all kinds of stress.

Biotin is great in addition to your regular multi. A lot of people take 5000mcg but unless it's a timed-release one I would take a lower dosage to get the most benefit. I saw great results with as low as 2000mcg and like to split it into am/pm doses. I was getting comments from my stylist on all the new hair growth. Does great things for nails, too.