Heels Elevated Squats

Discussion in 'Training' started by BLCG, Oct 5, 2012.

1. BLCG

BLCG New Member

This seems to have phased out in popularity. Any reason why? Is there a danger to the movement, or is there a superior exercise?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

I occasionally have them in my program. Changes the ROM. Some 'need' to do it that because they dont have the ROM.. working on flexabilty and limitations can alleviate that if that is the only way to squat.

3. BLCG

BLCG New Member

Where would the ROM be limited, tight hamstrings? Is this why they are incorporated into your program?

Thanks for reply.

4. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

Heels elevated also gives more focus to quads. So some may do them for that reason in some programs.

5. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

for me, its been incorporated for more quad focus.

6. simba zee

simba zee New Member

I saw someone at the Y doing both heels elevated and toes elevated squats on a folded up towel. said it is for different muscles and he learned it in phys therapy. What does the toes up on the towel do?

7. Emma

Emma Member

I do heel elevated squats with dumbbells, they are called cyclist squats owing to the muscles they target. I also do front and back BB squats but just heels on the floor.

8. Radish8

Radish8 Member

I have these on my program. Should I be pointing my toes out slightly or keeping them straight. Feels better pointed out and I get down lower. Toes straight feels awkward for some reason. Although I'm not used to squatting so maybe that's why?:scratch:

9. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I would say it's fine to point them out slightly, priority is getting lower with good form. If your unsure though, definitely email your coach. He will let you know what he wants you to do.

10. patti

patti Active Member

:yeahthat: as long as you don't "knee in"