higher protein vs. higher fat?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by gymgurl, Aug 22, 2007.

1. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

So I think I'm done doing IF for a while and am going to set up a low carb type of slow bulk.

I'm trying to figure out what macros would work the best and am wondering if one of these options would be better than the other.... or maybe I'm just overanalyzing too much. (both are about 1550 calories and I'm currently ~115 pounds)

1 - 170 grams protein, 65 grams fat, 70 grams carbs

2 - 130 grams protein, 90 grams fat, 50 grams carbs

Then on lifting days I'd add another 50 grams of carbs and 20 grams of protein (pre/post workout).

2. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I think that w/ an IF setup and low carbs, either of those would be fine. I'd start on the higher end and adjust down only if needed.

3. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

Okay, I'm not doing IF though, just a normal diet plan, probably with fewer meals however. It's more the higher fat that I'm wondering on... likely just my stubborn mindset of being slightly scared to take fat so high, I tend to feel more psychologically 'safer' with higher protein, but since i'm going back to school...be nice to keep costs low and fat comes cheaper :p

If I'd get leaner gains with higher protein though, then I'd do that, but maybe it's so small of a difference no need to worry?

4. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

You're thinking too much.

5. ladybug

ladybug Member

try both and go with whichever makes you feel fuller longer, or better in general...just my .02:whistling:

6. Erik

Erik Admin

That's rather helpful.

7. Erik

Erik Admin

At 115 lbs, I think Option 2 is better. Well mind you, I'm not a big fan of low carb bulks personally but that's a different issue.

Your protein needs go down when calories go up. At 115lbs I don't see why you'd need 170g (and up to 190g of protein). It's simply overkill. It basically becomes an expensive form of carbohydrate.

You've set your calories, and your protein needs are being met. What you do with your fat and carbohydrates is that 'x factor' that you can play with.

So, my opinion, is to give Option 2 a shot.

8. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

Thanks for all the replies... I tend to overanalyze everything...gotta learn to stop that.

I'll go with option two then, I think I will feel slightly fuller on it, not a huge difference but my wallet sure will be happier. :) I knew the extra protein was way overkill but I guess part of me thought since it has a higher TEF factor maybe it would help me stay leaner.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

Not going to have a significant effect.

You can view all these things - TEF, cardio, and whatever other kind of energy expenditure as a caloric 'sink' of sorts. If it's too great - no gains. You're really not looking to burn off calories when 'bulking'. You're looking to find that sweet spot where muscular gains are coming, with only as much fat gain as you're comfortable with.

10. gymgurl

gymgurl Member

Thanks again for the reply. I think it's just a mental game with me, I need to learn to suck it up and accept there will be some fat gain. I am a much better dieter than 'bulker'. :p

11. AJB

AJB Well-Known Member

Hmmm....curious as to why? does it impact strength or fat gains differently than a high carb bulk?

12. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Why do you want to do a low-carb bulk anyway?

13. magdalynaa

magdalynaa Jabber Jaws

:ditto: to what Smuggie said. :lol:

I had a really hard time putting on weight with a low-carb bulk.

14. Erik

Erik Admin

Due to GI issues with carbohydrates.

15. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Shedding the pig fat.

Out of context I know, but can I say, "Holy Crap" to your AVI Erik?!!

Your legs are ripped! Please don't tell me they aren't yours...it would be cruel and unusual punishment :lol:

16. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Oh, they're his. But you've nailed with with the words "out of context". He insists on posting them in the most inappropriate places.

17. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

T, could you give us a few more details on the whys of why you think her protein levels at their current levels would be over kill? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  18. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Like his avatar spot? :lol3:

19. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

I'm not going to complain about the pic. Eye candy is always nice.

Question concerning the GI comment...what if you're someone for whom carbs already give GI issues? Could you elaborate a bit? I understand not needing such a high protein intake since its just fancy carbs...

20. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Shedding the pig fat.

I'm not complaining...I just never knew he had such massive legs! If they weren't his, it would be like learning there is no Santa Claus!:thumb: