Insomnia

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by K8TYE, Nov 9, 2011.

1. K8TYE

K8TYE Member

Has anyone else dealt with chronic insomnia and found a remedy? There is about half of the month (perhaps tied to "shark week") where I just cannot sleep. During these times I often go to bed around 11, and don't fall asleep until 3 or 4 in the morning--if I sleep at all.

I am only 29, I work out, do not feel stressed, and am not overweight. I cannot sleep in the same bed as my husband--even on a good night, because I cannot fall asleep if I can hear him breathing or snoring. It is REALLY frustrating!

I have not tried any prescription sleep aid, as I fear they are addictive. I do often rely on Benadryl or Advil PM. I have tried Melatonin, but cannot seem to get the dosage right. It gives me crazy dreams and I wake up throughout the night.

I am just curious of other remedies people have found that work for them!!

2. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

:hi: progesterone is tied closely to sleep patterns. Have you had your hormones checked?

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

4. K8TYE

K8TYE Member

I have not had my hormones checked, but I will! Thank you for the tip. I would be incredibly relieved to find a reason and a solution!!

5. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Good luck :)

6. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

Are you a big caffeine drinker?

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

also, low blood sugar/cortisol connection

8. Rinn

Rinn New Member

That's what I was going to ask. I am really sensitive to caffeine, when I cut it out I started sleepting better that night.

9. irishfrcrkr

irishfrcrkr New Member

I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not but I recently read that studies were done on individuals who worked out in later in the day or evenings had more issues sleeping than individuals who work out earlier in the day.

I have issues with my sleep patterns but mine is usually stress related or since I travel constantly for work, its always a different bed, sounds, etc. I dont want to take any sleep RX - I heard too many horror stories from friends and I dont want to take Tylenol PM (or similar) every night due to possible liver complications.

So I spoke with my chiropractor who is also a homeopath and he recommened I use an herbal, OTC sleep aid that has really helped (Hyland's brand - there are others out there). I got mine at the whole foods section in my grocery store. I also find that taking this about 45 minutes before going to bed and then also taking a warm bath and a a cup or two of sleepytime tea does the trick. I figure that with me it is about preparing my mind and body to sleep - especially my mind. I try to quit thinking about the company, kids, money, employees, etc and focus on the fact that sleep is a very important part of my training. Its easier said than done but it has helped me out alot!

I would definitely have my hormones checked as well. My doctor has recommended that I do and plan on it next trip home.

10. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

This is definately my issue!!!! It sucks!!!! I fall asleep and sleep for 1-2 hrs. then am up off and on all night. Sleeping in increments of 30 minutes to an hour or up for hours then sleep 15 minutes. It always varies but it usually is worse around TOM...

11. azsister

azsister New Member

I hear ya. I've struggled with pretty much the exact same problems. It's hard to get up and go workout when you've been awake until 3 or 4 in the morning. The first time I went through this was after my second child and right after I went back onto my BC. I tried all kinds of stuff until finally giving in and getting some Lunesta. And let me tell you... LOVED IT. BUT after 3 months my ins. changed and the price went WAY up and I decided to try to sleep without it. Amazingly, as soon as I went off it, I was sleeping through the night again. I'm not sure if my hormones just needed to normalize on my new BC or my body just needed to relearn how to go to sleep. But it worked. THEN I just had my 3rd child and was going through the same thing. BTW, with both of my children, they were sleeping through the night while I stared at the clock. So again, I finally bit the bullet and went back to the doc to get the pills hoping this time I will also not need them long term. I have also noticed, even when I have a good sleeping pattern, that around "Shark Week" (I hadn't heard that before but I like it:)) I would get a couple of nights without sleep.

Anyway, that's my story.

12. tiffany

tiffany New Member

I had the same challenge months ago and I am now on progesterone... and I sleep like a baby!!! Get your hormones checked asap!

13. Cecil

Cecil Banned

Hi K8TYE,
    Some effective tips for you to treat insomnia.
    Do exercise regularly,
    Do check your medications,
    Do deal with obvious sleep disturbances,
    Avoid caffeine, cigarette,
    Avoid taking anything an hour before going to bed,
    Make a schedule of sleeping and awaking.

14. Calee

Calee New Member

K8TE, I could have written your post to a "T"!
    I am 28, avid exerciser, otherwise healthy, and kick my poor hubby continually at 3 AM to stop snoring, popping benadryl most nights, everything is so similar... Sorry to hear you are in the same boat!
    Please post again if you get your progesterone checked or try anything else, I would LOVE to hear your solution, it's SOOO hard to try and get up and work out after sleeping for only a few hours! :mad:

15. K8TYE

K8TYE Member

Thank you for all of the replies! I find a bit of solace knowing that I am not alone in insomnia. I am definitely going to get my hormones checked--especially since it is noticeably worse around TOM.
    It is definitely hard to work out after not sleeping, and it adds a ludicrous amount of stress to the day.
    I DO drink caffeine, but I also limit myself to my morning cup of coffee. After that I drink soda water or just plain water.
    I will keep you updated!