Is it true that one cheat day (food) nulifies the previous week?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by MARCMANtheMAN, May 29, 2012.

1. MARCMANtheMAN

MARCMANtheMAN Member

Is it true that one cheat day (food) nullifies the previous week?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

what do YOU think and why or not?

3. MARCMANtheMAN

MARCMANtheMAN Member

I am asking becasue I do not know...

But I'd say, other than affecting blood sugar levels, it does not do any "damage" at all

4. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

It would depend on how big it is and also how much of a deficit you are in over the rest of the week.

Think about it, if you only have a minor deficit all the rest of the week, lets say 100 calories (this is for simplicity) for each day x 6 days =600 calorie deficit in a week.

You have a cheat that is 1000 calories over your maintenance for the 1 day cheat. You are now over your deficit for the week of 400 calories...do you think you are going to lose weight?

So the answer to this question..depends. But it is possible that yes you could outdo everything you have done all week with one cheat day.

5. MARCMANtheMAN

MARCMANtheMAN Member

well that sucks :)

6. lka

lka Member

Thank you for starting this thread. It gives me motivation to stay on plan. Sometimes I think I can have a cheat meal and be fine because of the progress I made during the week. Will think of this next time!!

7. Erik

Erik Admin

It sure can.

Application is based on how lean you are. When very lean it can be beneficial.

8. nari1208

nari1208 Banned

I have cheat day every week. Only once a week. And, I think it's ok. Just, do not eat to much! Still, be cautious about the calories you take.
    Just eat the desired amount you want. Always remember, that even if it's a "cheat day", you still have to watch out! :)
    That's what I do,. Just sharing it with you. :)

9. elvenheart

elvenheart Member

Agreed ! I have had this problem for ALL of my dieting life. 5 days perfect diet--a deficit of approx 500 for 5 days then I go overboard for 2 days. Sadly not on cheat foods but on protein bars, oats, yoplait light, and fruit. and for weeks on end it's stalling no fat loss. those 2 days wipe out the 2500 deficit. I have no idea how but they do--since I don't tabulate cals when I go overboard. it becomes a spiral and so yes it is akin to a binge, except it's on 'clean foods' (except for protein bars).

10. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

11. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

A calorie is a calorie is a calorie. If you're going over your needs, it doesn't matter that the foods aren't "cheat" foods.

Most protein bars aren't that great for you. They're very calorie-dense for as small as they are. For the calories, I'd rather have something else that tastes better and is more filling/satisfying.