ISSA?

Discussion in 'Training' started by DeniseT, Dec 2, 2011.

1. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

Ok all, I need some input; good or bad. I think I've finally found the career I've been searching for; Fitness/Exercise Therapy. This is primarily used for:

Post-Rehab Orthopedic Exercise
    Therapeutic Flexibility
    Stress Management
    Industrial Fitness/Workers Compensation
    Avoiding Injury Recurrence
    Drug Interaction With Exercise
    Sports Medicine and Health Care

But what I'm really seeing is the ability to work with persons who have:
    Arthritis
    Osteoporosis
    Stroke
    Cardiac Problems
    Asthma
    Diabetes
    Hypertension
    Cancer Wellness
    Muscular Dystrophy
    Post Menopause
    Persons with physical disabilities (like my daughter with cerebral palsy)

I can get this through ISSA (which my understanding is the best in the industry). Does anyone have any knowledge or wisdom they can share with me before I make a major investment? I'm getting excited to find a new focus of my life.

2. in.the.stars

in.the.stars Enjoying this journey

How exciting indeed... I have no idea... not educated in this area, but good luck on your new venture!!

3. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

Thank you :) I'm excited to start something new :)

4. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

I've done so much reading on the various certifying companies my brain could explode lol ISSA and ACE are both very recognizable names thus giving them mucho street cred. I'm doing sport nutrition through ISSA and personal trainer certification through ACE, then I want to get my SNS from ISSN and THEN I will get me pre/post natal fitness certification from CAPPA. Yeah I have lots of certs I plan to get over the next few years. My main goal really is maternal health/fitness but with gran plans of owning a gym with my sis & cuz I want more experience and training so I can assist all of our clients, not just the pregnant mamas :)

5. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

6. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

7. brooket

brooket Active Member

Hi Denise,

I am not sure what the NSCA certification entails, but sounds like what you want to do is Physical Therapy. My DH is a House Calls Physician and the majority of his patients need/have one. You could be a PT assistant if you wanted more of a certification than a degree. You would work under a PT. If I were you I would start with your local community college to see what sort of programs they have, and of course check the NSCA site to see if they offer that. The thing is, for most PT agencies to hire you they require a certain degree so that they can get Medicare/Insurance reimbursement. I am sure you know having a daughter with CB that people rely heavily on reimbursement from insurance because of the outrageous costs.

Much luck to you on your journey and I am excited for you to have found something new to challenge you and a career you are passionate about! :)

8. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

Ok after reading these I am skipping the ISSA nutrition. I still need the ACE as part of my hoop trainer creds as I am working on becoming a master trainer and for that I need either AFAA or ACE certification.

By the way Erik talks really we'd be better to just read the shit out of everything, think critically, apply knowledge and learn that way rather than some paper cert that really means nothing.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

I think the ISSA is one of the bigger jokes in the certification industry.

10. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

I just got my Precision Nutrition certification (Dr. John Berardi). I think it's a great cert!

I'm using it to compliment my personal training.

11. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

Thanks for the threads and information. This requires more research.