Issues with Food

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Kathryn, May 3, 2006.

1. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

And that's the difference. If food controls you, as it seems to be in the OP, then it is a problem.

EDs are coping mechanisms. You say you use it for stress. I would think about seeing a professional. These aren't things that go away so easily. The true test of recovery is when they are gone even during times of stress....

2. Kathryn

Kathryn 100% focus on myself

true true..just lately I've had my whole life gone absolutely insane...I'm gonna go talk to my counseler tommorow...it's been 4 months since I last saw her...

3. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

My son sees me bust out the food scale six times a day (less when he's not home or whatever.. :lol:). He is 9 now and knows about proper nutrition and why I usually measure and why sometimes I don't. The simple act of measuring food does not mean anything negative at all.

He eats normally and has a good handle on portion sizes. He thinks it's cool that his dad and I lift heavy and he'll probably emulate us and do the same one day. And when he does he'll know the difference between food being an obsession and using food as fuel to reach goals or manage health.

4. Kathryn

You're a great role model for your kid...hopefully I'll be like that someday!

5. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Thanks. :D

6. ladybug

ladybug Member

This is so important. Unfortunately there is a very, very fine line for some people and that line is easy to cross.

7. hemi

hemi Member

Great post!

8. Brandi

Brandi old school

This is so important. Unfortunately there is a very, very fine line for some people and that line is easy to cross. [/b][/quote]
    Exactly. And once you figure out what it means to be in control, your whole mindset changes. Like mine is FINALLY beginning too.

It is a process, and it sounds like the OP needs to see someone to figure out what the root of this could be.

9. racerunner

racerunner Member

I AGREE and I wish everyone did what you do!

don't shoot but........

How come the heavy people don't have the stigma of having an ED?

Why do they get away with gorging themselves and not have to get therapy? It seems like food controls them too.

Why do I get nasty looks in the restaurant for ordering plain grilled chicken and steamed veggies NO BUTTER and they can order an appetizer, salad, entree, and dessert and everyone likes them?

OK Rant Over

10. Bella

Bella New Member

I am sorry you are struggling with food. I too, have been in the grips of an ED. I am finally in a recovery phase, but I have a long way to go. It is a painful reality somedays!
    Good luck in your journey.

11. Lynda

Lynda New Member

I'm trying to work towards that Food=Fuel attitude.
    not to the major "EXTREME" though...like for a Birthday Party, etc...I'll actually eat the cake and ice cream, just not HUGE portions.
    I try to not let my "happiness" come from eating sugary junky foods like I used to...it's way better now than it was years ago! There's hope for everyone! :clap:

12. Kathryn

Gosh, I still can't eat ice cream and cake at parties and hollidays...I just have a hard time to give in...like for instance, at Easter my grandma makes lots of goooood food but all I had on my plate were veggies and a little chicken when everybody else was enjoying the good stuff...and of course had to say no to my favorite dessert, grape pie..and my b-day cake...my parents know better to get me a cake for my b-day...it's been like that for the past 3 years..

13. Lynda

Lynda New Member

uhhh the past THREE YEARS!! oh my gosh...sounds like you're missing out a bit at the "Holidays" with family and friends...(not that FOOD should be the main focus at these events, but no one wants to be the carrot/celery muncher in the corner when everyone is celebrating at a child B-Day party - having a bit of DQ ice cream cake or something)
    I do realize that the "competitors" will go without ANY type of "junk" or "cheat" food for weeks/ months at a time will a specific goal in mind...but 3 YEARS :blink:

Is this the way you actually like your nutrition / eating habits to be...or do you ever feel like maybe it is not quite a "balanced" nutritional diet ? Can you live your whole Lifetime this way?

14. Kathryn

uhhh the past THREE YEARS!! oh my gosh...sounds like you're missing out a bit at the "Holidays" with family and friends...(not that FOOD should be the main focus at these events, but no one wants to be the carrot/celery muncher in the corner when everyone is celebrating at a child B-Day party - having a bit of DQ ice cream cake or something)
    I do realize that the "competitors" will go without ANY type of "junk" or "cheat" food for weeks/ months at a time will a specific goal in mind...but 3 YEARS :blink:

Is this the way you actually like your nutrition / eating habits to be...or do you ever feel like maybe it is not quite a "balanced" nutritional diet ? Can you live your whole Lifetime this way? [/b][/quote]
    well I've had a couple of times where I would binge on cake, but never at parties/holidays or anywhere in public...no, i don't want to be like that, but I feel like I shouldn't be eating it...like I feel that if I'm not to where I want to be with my body then I don't deserve to have anything like that...my cheats right now are basically processed foods that are somewhat healthy...like regular pb (which is gross so I don't know why I choose that) whole wheat bread, some crackers...that's about it...I still can't give in to junky food...I tried sunday night but felt way to guilty and purged it :eek: :finger: I haven't done that for 5 months now...It was just the frosting/filling of 4/5 doughnuts too..nothing too serious...

15. AgKitty

AgKitty Wherever, whenever

Not everyone who is big got that way by gorging on food. You can be fat without allowing food to control you.

16. Lynda

Lynda New Member

I believe this is true too!
    there are soo many factors, besides your calorie consumption.
    STRESS can play such a huge role in mocking insulin spikes and easily creating an environment within your body that can find a way to turn carrot sticks into FAT! There is a huge phycho - emotional - connection to our bodies it's almost unbelievable!
    I really don't know a whole lot about this, so I'll stop commenting, I'm in over my head :shutit: don't want to post about stuff I don't know for sure :shutit:

17. Lynda

Lynda New Member

Oh Kathryn, I wish I knew the right things to say - but I don't...so I won't.

Just know that you're not alone :( - I have no experience with the type of situation that you're describing, but I wish you all the best :)

18. lawstudent

lawstudent Baby lawyer

[/b][/quote]
    Kathryn--have you seen a therapist? This looks like very disordered behavior to me. And it is serious.

19. rachel.

rachel. EP Boardoholic

i dont eat junk at all. i completely avoid it.

but i mean, if my mom makes brownies im going to have one you know? its if you eat them every day that it has an effect.

20. ladybug

ladybug Member

that's pretty contradictory :confused: