IUD Questions

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Amy, Dec 3, 2007.

1. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

So how many of you have and IUD? Do you have the hormonal or non-hormonal one? Which one would you recommend and why?

2. Erik

Erik Admin

My wife had an IUD. Hers was a non-hormonal one.

Her doctor told her to not use it any longer than 5 years.

That's my contribution to the thread. :cardio:

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i had one. not sure which one it was, was yrs ago. Im guessin hormonal.

It made my cycles heavier and longer. Vic said could feel the string.

My body rejected it and I had to have it taken out.

4. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

:shock:

5. Amy

Same one I had but I guess there are a few different brands?...tell her to contribute :D Did she like it? Any bad side effects?

6. Amy

With the non-hormonal one, mine were so heavy, I was hoping the hormonal one would not do that :dry: Hmmm...I have til Monday to decide.
    I will get the same type if I think it will not be any better with the hormones. I mean would it be good to have the hormones or why do you think ppl choose non- hormonal?

7. Erik

Erik Admin

She's contributing through me right now. :p

Did she like it? She says no. It was not comfortable.

Side effects? She says her period was heavier.

8. Amy

Thanks! <-----that's for her and for you typing it :D

9. Cris

Cris I Can Do This!

I've never had one, so I have only my secondhand advice from being a nurse. Not that you would I'm sure, but please do NOT think that having an IUD gives you the freedom to not follow-up with yearly exams. We were seeing a patient in consultation to clear her for surgery, because she just stopped going to the doctor...had her last exam like 10+ years ago and was going for surgery to have the infected thing removed!

10. Amy

oh no! I tend to go more than just once I year. I have had a history of ectopic pregnancies (3) so I see the doctor more often than I would like to. I would just like something that is not permanent but long term :wink:
    Thanks.

11. jackie

jackie Well-Known Member

I had one not sure which kind and I thought it was very uncomfortable, needless to say I got it removed.

12. longing2blean

longing2blean Member

I have a Mirena....the five year one. it was put in to deal with both birth control as well as some peri-menopausal issues I was dealing with such as all month long spotting, cystic acne and night sweats. I had both my kids via C-section and the placement was quite painful (I do not think it is recommended for women who have not had children). I had it put in this summer and no longer have TOM. All the inconvenient and uncomfortable symptoms have disappeared.

13. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

That's completely true, I have no children and my Dr. nixed this as a bc option for me.

What martial art do you practice - assuming that's you in your avi?

14. wanttobefit

wanttobefit Work In Progress

The IUD is the most wonderful thing in the world.... I originally had the one with no hormones, that was horrible periods were so heavy and I pretty much had it every day. BUT then they switched me to the one with hormones and it is WONDERFUL.. no periods at all and I have had two, I had it in for 5 years and just recently had it replaced with a new one. It is great I have two kids and do not want anymore, sex ...no children.... no pills...no periods.... what more can you ask for.;) I have had absolutely no side effects...no problems..

15. Kate

Kate Compadre

I don't think that's completely true - I have mirena, I'm 24 and have never been pregnant.

I absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone. My periods have pretty much disappeared, and it's such a relief not to have to worry about taking a pill every day.

That said, the insertion was very uncomfortable, and I was tender for a week or two following - but for 5 years of no-worries bliss, I'll take it.

16. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

Ah... fair point. My ob/gyn is very much against an IUD for a patient who has never been pregnant.

17. longing2blean

longing2blean Member

Hi Pixie - That picture is from my Taekwondo Black Belt test last summer. I also practice Hapkido and have some Kenpo in my past. Do you study a martial art??

18. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

I used to study Aikido. I took a bad high fall and wrecked my neck/shoulder. It healed well enough, but left me freaked about taking a high fall anymore.

19. longing2blean

longing2blean Member

It is probably the pain on insertain factor. My first child was an emergency c and the second one planned, so I have a "virgin" birth canal...never dilated....the pain was similar to a non-mom. But like was said before....worth it for me.

20. longing2blean

longing2blean Member

I hear you. i am 150 lbs and the only female in the class. The guys toss me around like Raggedy Ann. I almost went through a mirror on Tuesday but for the grace of effectve brakes on my roll. I have to keep reminding the boys, lower body weight, smaller joints=harder throws and more pain on a correctly positioned technique!!