Leading a "normal" life while dieting

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Carolyn, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Carolyn

Carolyn Well-Known Member

How does everyone deal with dieting and normal life? When most people get together these days it involves food and alchohol. For instance, tomorrow night is my sister -n- law and her fiance's rehearsal dinner and their ordering a bunch of pizzas at a local resturant.

It's tough sometimes to put yourself in that kind of environment, but you don't want to isolate yourself. Having to deal with everyone's comments because your not eating what they are is frustrating and most people don't understand. How does everyone deal? Do you allow yourself a little cheat during special occasions or stick to your guns? I'm torn because of the results I'm seeing and don't want to ruin it.

2. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

I pack my meals

3. Carolyn

Carolyn Well-Known Member

I do too, but I'm definitely not going to be packing at the wedding! My yogurt and cottage cheese would sure get some looks. I get enough of that at work.

4. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

if i knew in advance and i had a free meal, i save it for that ocassion.

I have been know to pack my stuff up and 'sneak' it into parties.. whether at home or resturants.. sometimes i'll have a salad or hold my meal off. Most places you can eat on plan, even going out.

I Tell my family that i have a goal im working towards. by now, my family knows me well. I show up with a cooler all the time.

5. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Kind of like Ileen said, I would save my cheat for that special situation. But if I knew I wanted to stick to my guns. I would eat just before going and then when I get home. I definitely think this is a difficult one. For me, it is having to deal with all of my girl's things...baking, their birthdays, class parties...all of that. You just find a way to say no because it just becomes a priority to change your body.

6. Erik

Erik Admin

This doesn't bother me one bit. :shrug: And in fact quite the opposite. I quietly pat myself on the back when I watch other people eat crap and know I'm sticking to my plan.

I was at a friend's place a few weeks ago and they had chips, candy, hot apple pie, etc. - all stuff I love. Did I want it? Was I hungry? Yep. Did I have any? Nope. And when I got home, I felt great. My friends know me and it's no big deal. They make some light hearted jokes some times (come on, you know you love chips) and it's right then that I'm even LESS likely to cave.

As the others said, plan your cheat around the event. Can't go wrong then.

And the most important advice, is to simply control portions. If you can't control what you're going to be eaten, control how much of it you're going to eat.

7. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

No, no me neither not for a wedding :dope: I'd probably over eat at that unfortunately, but in general I pack the meals and then try to fit in a free meal when it really can't be avoided

8. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

I gave myself 3 months to eat "normal" and you know what at times I really missed the clean packed meals that I would eat. After eating the "normal" foods I would just feel like crap and wonder why I just at 6 tacos when I could have made a salad or something. I would say that for some special occasions I would not worry but others you have to stick with what you want. Do you want to cake or the body.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

Eat normal = look normal

10. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

eat busted buscits = look like busted buscits.

11. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Just do a lot of dancing at the wedding. Then you get a workout. :lol:

12. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

GOOD pizza, or that crap from Pizza Hut? :unsure:

13. LynnP

LynnP This will be a good year!

:clap:for this thread. I have been struggling with this, and I just put it in my journal the other day. I have a hard time with this becuae I am the only one of my friends who watches so carefully what I eat, and actually worksout. Not to mention they think I am no fun becuase I rarely drink. And all of this while I don't even have a good body?!?!?!?!?!?! I can't image what will happen when I actually have an attractive body... then they'll never understand! But I am really glad to read the tips of how all of you handle the situation!

14. Camogirlie

Camogirlie New Member

Im the same way.. i pack my food with me were ever i go.. but it does get embarrassing when people make comments.. i know im doing the right thing but my red face gives me away! Do you know what they are going to serve at the wedding.. maybe just munch on the veggie tray, or have grilled chicken if they are serving dinner.. it can be tough, and frustrating at times.. I just have to get over being embarrassed when people make lame comments.. Because i know they are just ashamed at what they are eating.. Best of luck!

Oh, and who wants to live a Normal life when you can have an amazing body! Those things dont go hand in hand.. Having a body like you do is a very abnormal thing now adays.. if you want to continue attaining that awesome bod your gonna have to continue to make the sacrafices you have.. The majority of the world doesnt understand how much hard work it takes to sculpt something like that.. Im getting to the point were i think "who really cares what they say or what they think.. Im the one with the six pac" LOL!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  15. soontobefit

soontobefit Senior Member

I hope your friends don't say this to you!!!!

Yeah, my friends got over it a long time ago that I don't drink. But they are fairly supportive with what I am doing, so it isn't too bad. On my vacations though (usually go with my mom), she always tells me I am no fun since I hardly stay up past 10! I'm like, I workout everyday on vacation, walk around, etc...no wonder I am beat! Anyways, if your friends don't support you....find new friends! :naughty::funny:

16. fitmonkey

fitmonkey Well-Known Member

I think secretly, 99% of people would give there right arm to have your will power and your body when your eating right. If its not great now, then it won't take long in the sheme of things.
    My mom always use to say that if my sister (or whoever) was jealous of me, than I must be doing something right.

17. Erik

Erik Admin

18. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

Depending on whether I get a cheat meal and how important reaching my goal is to me (such as prepping for a show), I either pack my meals with me and eat before the event or save my cheat meal for the special occasion.

If at a wedding, you can eat before the event, munch on the veggie tray and have a couple of pieces of grilled chicken/meat and resume your normal meal plan.

As mentioned above, you can often stay on plan when eating in restaurants by choosing chicken salad (with olive oil/balsamic vinegar on the side), grilled meats/fish and veggies…

And keeping portion control in mind is indeed another important aspect. One reasonable meal outside your meal plan won’t make much of a difference in your progress. Pigging out will however.

19. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

:ditto: I'm going to read that a few more times. Portion control is huge for me- when it's something I love (such as cake, candy, appetizers). :sad:

20. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

Yes, I know for a fact my family is jealous of my willpower. They even say it out loud all the time at family get-togethers. I don't always stick to my guns but this whole past summer during contest prep they watched me eat chicken and asparagus and sweet potato while they were having birthday cake.