Lipstick on a Pig???

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by mackie, Sep 10, 2008.

1. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Oh.my.word! Did Obama really say this?

"You can put lipstick on a pig and its still a pig".

Rhetorical question... I know he did say it! I heard it with my own ears. But was it really a shot at Palin? I can't believe it. WTF??!! Does he not want to win over the undecideds??

Did I miss something? Had she said something equally offensive about him first?

2. jmr1228

jmr1228 Member

3. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

That was better than when he misspoke earlier this week and said, "My Muslim faith."

4. mackie

Okay. That makes more sense now. I knew he had more grace & tact than that. I hadn't read or heard the whole thing. Just the little clips that kept playing over & over (absent of context, of course).

I should have known better than to jump on the retarded-media & doofus-blogger bandwagon. I hate it when people do that... about either candidate.
    :doh:

I didn't think that was a big deal. I knew what he meant. But it certainly gave fodder to the rar-right Obama-bashers. Just as the far-left likes to take McCain out of context... and make a big deal out of the most trivial things.:shrug:

5. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

That article is complete damage control. I personally don't see a problem with him saying what he said, but many people will have a problem with it and both sides don't want to seem "offensive." Bottom line, at this point, he shouldn't have used that analogy.

6. mackie

Agreed. He should be more careful. He knows he's under a microscope.

7. Q45

Q45 +h3 H@rdc0r3

what about the real issues plaguing this country....

i enjoyed watching this election when it began because they discussed
    and debated the issues that were relevant. but as it moved along it began a circus filled with folk focusing on race,age,gender, political ads, and religion...

now on the matter at hand, what would obama gain by calling palin a pig...im not saying im for or against him but it doesn't seem like an intelligent move to make if he wants to get in the white house...we're 55 or so days away from the election and the major issue the candidates are debating or at odds about is pigs and lipstick. kinda sad if you ask me.

8. mackie

Agreed. But things always seem to get out-of-hand and petty when there's a close race. Sad but true. If one candidate or the other were far ahead, in the polls, and felt secure in a likely win it wouldn't get this way. :shrug:

He would have nothing to gain from doing so... and he's smart enough to know that. That's why I was so shocked when I thought he had done just that. But he didn't. I was just going by the repetitive blurbs, on the news & blogs, without looking into it.

9. Q45

Q45 +h3 H@rdc0r3

tru dat:thumb:

10. Donna

Donna Member

Obama said "My Muslim Faith"? Oh, no. I'd like to see that article.

Palin had said the only difference between a hockey mom and a pitbull is lipstick...then Obama said the pig thing which he insists was about policy. Yeah, right. Bad analogy, I agree.

11. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

VERY bad analogy.

12. mackie

He was referring to all the media/blogger hype about his alleged "muslim faith".

It was about policy. Its a very old saying. McCain had actually, previously used it in reference to Hillary's/Dem's policy.

If you go by those brief clips only (Palin's pitbull-lipstick comment and Obama's pig-lipstick comment) played side-by-side, then of course it looks like Obama's remark is a retort to Palin. That's what the petty-ass trouble-makers are trying to make it look like.

I'm sorry I brought it up. Sorry I started this thread. It was stupid of me to think (even for a second) that he could be that stupid.

My apologies to all Obama supporters.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  13. fitmonkey

fitmonkey Well-Known Member

Even better is his explanation... Palin is the lipstick and the Pig is McCain's failed policies.
    So is that all she is now? A pretty face? Low blow insult from Obama...

Go ahead Obama, let your true colors show. This facade of middle ground and loving everybody, and peace to all has to end sometime.

14. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

I think it is funny you folks who are saying its bad analogy but yet McCain was able to use it against Hillary. :sad:

15. mackie

:ditto:

That's why I'm sorry I fell for the far-right misinterpretation and misrepresentation. Same exact kinda stunt that conservatives don't like, when it comes from the far-left.

Again, sorry for my original post. I thought I was a better moderate than that. Thought I was smarter than that. :oops:

16. fitmonkey

fitmonkey Well-Known Member

"Keep in mind that technically, had I meant it this way, she would be the lipstick," Obama added, referring to GOP vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin. "The policies of John McCain would be the pig."

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  17. Lyn

Lyn 2nd String Bench Warmer

Excellent point Meechel.

18. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

I think that comment is the most accurate comment he could make.....she is very new to politics and he is similar to GWB on policies so I think that is a fair assessment.

19. Donna

Donna Member

Funny they were able to stop the running of negative political ads on 9/11. Why not ALL the time and play nice?