Looking 'mean' at the gym

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Blondell, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I had a guy tell me that I look mean when I train. I explained that I get in a 'zone' and don't particularly care how I look. :lol:

There are times that I purposefully go expressionless in an attempt to not be bothered while I train. But, I never try to look mean. Has anyone else gotten this? :unsure:

2. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

:eek:verhere:

I always get this. Plus, I even get people saying "hello" to me outside of the gym and honestly I have NO clue who they are....and tell them...and they say "I work out when you do in the morning!"

I have to look uninterested, intimidating, in the zone, whatever....or else people will bother me. I also try not to make eye contact and walk AROUND equipment when I notice (men of course) people deliberately going out of their way to pass me by....(yes, they do this--I can tell when they take the LONG way around to the water fountain. :lol:)

Plus, I stare at my watch between sets--that helps. :p

3. Erik

Erik Admin

I'm not surprised you have ...

:p

4. Blondell

:ban:

Is that to say that I look mean? :dry:

5. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

this is a good thread. When i first moved to CA, I never EVER talked to anyone in my gym. I was getting ready for my 3rd show and i was all business. Since then, i've met some people who told me that they thought i was very standoffish and never smiled LOL not surprising since contest prep sucked for me! HA! It was horrifying to hear how rude and unapproachable they thought i was :(

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blondell

I think that a lot of people at my gym think this about me. :lol:

7. Jonathan57

Jonathan57 Active Member

Some guys simply cannot differentiate between 'focus' and 'mean'. Don't dare smile in the least, or they take that as a goal. My wife used to wear a "Dont Bother Me - I'm concentrating!" sweatshirt which seemed to work.

These are referred to as LeerJets. :sad:

• Like Like x 1
  8. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I have no idea how I appear to other people in the gym and I don't particularly care. :hamster:

9. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

I'm pretty dang funny in between sets, so just about everyone knows me..........but they're too lazy to work out with me. :shrug:

10. Sportsgirl

Sportsgirl Well-Known Member

I get the "serious look" feedback - not mean though. Not so much know though as I know quite a few people at the gym and always say hello quickly.

11. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

:funny:

12. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

:lol: I only pray every single time I am in there that I seem rude and unapproachable!

I need one of those shirts!

13. Brandi

Brandi old school

LOL That is crazy someone would say that. Like you'd apologize or something. "I'm sorry, it's 5am. It's freezing outside. I had to get my ass up, get my kids ready for school and get ready for my day. I really should be smilier. I'm terribly sorry to put you out by being serious. Watch in the mirror here and I'll smile for you as I do my squats."

• Like Like x 1
  14. Q45

Q45 +h3 H@rdc0r3

:ditto:
    im all about taking care of business when i get in the gym.
    sometimes when someone tries to start up a convo i give them the "cant you see im lifting heavy wights, sweating, and i need every single second in between sets to get ready for the next set cause im about to add more weight" look.:p

15. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Most people don't understand that, because they're too busy doing fluff workouts and socializing. :lol:

16. Blondell

:funny:

17. Petro

Petro Well-Known Member

i try really really hard to look mean so people will leave me alone, but I'm obviously not very good at it, because still insist on talking to me...I wear my ipod, but they still insist on talking to me....

I need mean looking lessons, cause I suck:pirate:

18. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

I am usually oblivious to what is going on around me. I just tune out everyone else except for my training partners.

Although, we usually go to the gym around noon and had to go in the evening the other night. I don't think the evening crowd is used to us powerlifters. I noticed two guys by chance stopping to watch when I was squatting. I wanted to stop and say "yeah, I am a girl, and I squat that much". :cheeky:

When I used to train alone I did have a guy follow me out to my car once and try to ask me out. I actually was annoyed and it bothered me that he followed me out. I told him I was married and he said he did not care. I wanted to just smack him.

19. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. The gall of me to want to do what I came there for-- uninterupted. :yell:

20. DarkAnimal73

DarkAnimal73 I pity Da Fools

you should get a pair of pants that say that too:unsure::unsure::unsure: