Morning workouts...to eat or not to?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by lka, Dec 2, 2011.

1. lka

lka Member

I workout first thing in the morning and I usually don't eat. My PWO meal is usually my breakfast which consists of 5 egg whites 40 g of oatmeal (1/2) cup and 1 piece of fruit. Meal 2 is 1 scoop of protein and 2 rice cakes and 1 table spoon of peanut butter (my downfall). From all the reading I am doing it seems I should have my scoop of protein directly after I workout but then I would be skipping meal 1. Any advice??

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

LBC method is eat before wt or hi intensity training.

3. Inatic

your pre work out meal would be your egg whites and oats and fruit. If that is too big pre training then you can cut that in half and eat only half.

AFTER training/pwo you follow up with protein and carbs. Its often suggested to save your fats beyond the pwo window. So your protein shake and whatever starchy carb you chose goes here//

the remainder if breakfast IF You cut in half would be your third 'meal' then continue on with the rest of your meals/plan.

4. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

Ileen is right about the meal layout. LBC states absolutely no lifting or interval training on an empty stomach.

5. lka

lka Member

Great thanks guys. This is my first day on here, you all are so helpful. I am going to try and eat tomorrow before my workout. What are your favorite PWO meals?

6. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

There is a huge thread on pwo meals under diet/nutrition. I used to train empty too. Big mistake. I can't even imagine it now :lol3:

Adding: cream of rice, pop corn, cereal, flavored rice cakes, and low fat ice cream are very popular for carbs around here. For protein most do a shake, but some do chicken or egg whites

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  7. Erik

Erik Admin

Eat before you train.

8. lka

lka Member

Will do. Thank you.

9. keciakelly

keciakelly Member

I used to train with a few triscuit crackers on my stomach. The thought of eating food before training was completely foreign to me at first. Now, I look forward to that meal before training. It gives me my strength and energy!!

10. lka

lka Member

I have been eating before I train and I have noticed a few issues. First I feel really full and get a stomach ache when training and the second thing is that I get really hungry the rest of the day. I eat my breakfast which is 5 egg whites and 40g of oatmeal at 6 am then I eat my PWO at 8:30ish. I get really hungry around 10:30 but feel I shouldn't eat my next meal until about 12:30. I wondering if I can eat half of my breakfast at 6, my PWO at 8:30 and then the rest of my breakfast at 10:30.

The reason I am so concerned is because I get so hungry and then fall of the wagon. I lost about 15 pounds over the last 2 months and now I am gaining the weight (5#) back. I need help. Anyone?

11. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Yes, that's fine.

12. Algernon

Algernon New Member

Morning Cardio:

I am planning to start doing morning cardio,
    and i'am wondering if it is good or bad,
    should i take protein before???

13. brooket

brooket Active Member

Rule around here is you NEVER workout on an empty stomach. Eating 1/2 your breakfast is good if you 'can't' eat the whole thing before working out.

14. Inatic

slow steady cardio can be done fasted/no food but anything with intensity should be fed.

15. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Great idea!

16. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Holy cow! Lookie who the cat dragged in!

Hi, Gary! :wave:

17. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

'Sup Angie?

18. mackie

How did you know its me? :lol:

I heard a rumor that you got married.

19. Gary

Gary Well-Known Member

Honestly I had to stalk your journal for a minute to figure it out. Yep, almost three years now!

20. mackie

:lol:

Cool! Say 'hi' to your lovely sister for me.