Non-Fishy Fish

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Neely, Aug 16, 2007.

1. moniseni

moniseni Member

I totally disagree on the tilapia, I think its very fishy the only fish I can eat is Orange Roughy but then again I don't get fresh fish either so maybe that is the difference. In fact I threw out my last bag of tilapia b/c the taste was so overwhelming which is funny b/c before OR I thought it was the best thing out there. I've wanted to try tuna but haven't had the chance yet.

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

funny, i find roughy has a fishy taste. IT taste good tho.

3. pep

pep Active Member

I HATE fish - and the only kind I can eat that I prepare myself is talapia. And I buy it frozen. I actually prefer it frozen because they are smaller cuts and when I bake them get more dried out (not dry, just a little drier) and have a more chicken-like texture. Walmart sells family boxes of frozen talapia for $11 - 16 4 oz. fillets. And I'm telling you - I hate fish. Can't eat 99% of it.

I put them on a rimmed cookie sheet, sprayed with pam, then I coat the fish with pam, sprinkle lots of garlic salt on it, along with basil and oregano and cook it at 375 for about 10-15 minutes. I actually prefer this to chicken most days (well, maybe because its all I get to eat!)

4. magdalynaa

magdalynaa Jabber Jaws

Best. Post. Ever. :lol3:

5. magdalynaa

magdalynaa Jabber Jaws

Orange roughy, flounder, and tilapia all taste non-fishy to me.

If you can actually filet bream, it's not at all fishy. You have to be half-insane to try to filet bream, I think... but it's well worth it if done properly.

6. ladybug

ladybug Member

shrimp and lobster :muahaha:

as has been said, tuna steaks, swordfish steaks, and flounder are all pretty "un" fishy...I like to blacken them with cajun spices and then grill. Squirt some lemon or lime juice on and :thumb:

7. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

I love fish, but tilapia is actually one of the few fish I do NOT like. Same with snapper. They both have a funny taste to me.

Basa is pretty good, IME-- lots of non-fish people seem to like that. Same with fresh salmon. The rest you may just have to experiment with.

8. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

Fresh fish makes all the difference. As long as fish is frozen when it's fresh and cooked either immediately after thawing or cooking it frozen then it's still good. The fish mentioned here all taste non-fishy to me.

Neely - if you doubt your own cooking skills with it, go to a restaurant with a good reputation and try some out good quality stuff (seared ahi, grilled or broiled tuna, halibut, sea bass (this is one I cannot make myself at home as good as I can purchase out), grouper, salmon, etc.)

9. bubblebooty

bubblebooty Ms. Figure Olympia, 2025

sooo true about fresh fish. my BF won't even touch fish unless it's deep fried or caught that day. we went sea fishing about a year ago and cooked our fish that night. you couldn't even tell we were eating fish. no smell, just mild buttery flava! :yummy:

10. Neely

Neely lolz

I've cooked fish before and done well with it (so I was told, I didn't eat it! :lol:). It's just people tell me that different ways of cooking it plays a role in how fishy it ends up tasting. So I didn't know which method would be best to eliminate that taste. Or if people were just feeding me full of :horseshit: when they told me that :unsure:

11. magdalynaa

magdalynaa Jabber Jaws

I think there is some truth to that, even though I also think that some fish just taste fishy-er than others (i.e. salmon, catfish).

To me, grilling fish makes a huge taste difference because you get the flavor of the charcoal or whatever you're using to grill with. That eliminates a lot of fishy flavor. I've even grilled salmon, and found that grilling changes the flavor completely.

Cooking fish with a lot of seasonings, marinades, etc. also changes the flavor. I used to bake orange roughy in an aluminum foil pouch with rice and veggies inside, and I used an olive oil and fresh orange juice mixture to season it. It didn't taste the least bit fishy.

Just plain old baking without proper seasoning is what heightens a fishy flavor for me.

12. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Grilled fish is incredible.

LOVE smoked fish, but that is VERY fishy.

• Like Like x 2
  13. chelleashley

chelleashley Banned

pickerel....or walleye for you americans...:wink: the ONLY fish my sister will eat...but it has to be fresh, and can taste different..cause the stuff up north tastes different to me than where I am now...:shrug:

14. Cris

Cris I Can Do This!

This is the only fish I eat, and I buy it and prepare it the same way except with lemon pepper. I really love the individual packages.

15. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

yum! whitefish, on a toasted salty bagel with a light smear of cr ch, tomatoes and onions :piggie: :drool:

16. nicki

nicki Member

Do you wrap the fish or just leave it open??

I love fish salmon and ocean perch (similar to orange roughy) are my fav's:love: