Parents.... when your child won't go to bed

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by donnajo, Sep 22, 2007.

1. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Lauren just started the I am scared, I need to eat, I gotta go potty, I don't like my room drama.......I hear this is typical. She just turned three. It took 30 minutes tonight for her to go to sleep. She keeps getting out of bed and I keep putting her back. I don't say anything but just keep being persistent. Learned that on nanny 911. But, I am so frustrated. She went to bed perfectly and this just started two weeks ago. Any advice? :grrr: She cries so hard it just breaks my heart but I am staying strong.

2. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

Whiskey

3. cejk

cejk Senior Member

we used "Monster Away" spray for a long time. Empty Spray Bottle, food coloring, water- wrote on the outside- Monster Away! Sprayed it everywhere. Found a dreamcatcher at the Dollar Tree hung it near, and also prayed every night in our bedtime prayer that God would help us feel calm and feel not afraid cause we knew he'd keep us safe.... Did any work? Some night yes and some nights no! :lol: Sorry.. I honestly think its just time......:love:

4. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Horse tranquilizer.

5. homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom Well-Known Member

:love: Nanny 911!!

Has there been some kind of change lately in Lauren's life or routine? Any transition into something new that she might suddenly need some more "mommy time"? She's getting close to an age where she *might* be able to verbalize it if something is bothering her, so I would ask her why she needs to keep getting up. She might surprise you with a pretty reasonable answer that you two can work on together. If there have been no changes and she can't tell you what's going on, then I would eliminate her ususal excuses before she gets in bed and do exactly as you have been doing. Just continue to be consistant.

Hang in there! I know it can be frustrating. :hug:

6. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Is she still taking a nap? Maybe time to just drop it.

I am not that much help...I used to lie down with my kiddos...then, transitioned away from that. I think by 3, though, we were done with that. Hmmmm. Maybe some type of reward? Like...does she watch a tv show in the morning or anything? No TV if she doesn't go to bed good and she does get to watch the show if she does...something like that. ??

But consistent, yes. This is good. :)

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

It's turning into a power struggle.

Tell her that it's bedtime and put her in her room/routine you always due. Eliminate all the things she uses as excuses. If it means leaving the light on and letting her read or play IN her room let her. Dont let her stay up later because that will only lead to being over tired. Eventually she will :sleep2: even if it's on the floor.

8. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Oh ya...I give them books and flashlights, too...maybe that will work to get her to stay put.

9. 3sweeties

3sweeties Well-Known Member

Excellent advice here.

10. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Thanks for all the advice. I will definitely incorporate it into what we are doing with her. This all started about a couple of weeks ago when we went to Nashville and she slept in our bed with us in the hotel room I think. She fell asleep on the hallway floor last night but at least she was next to her room.

She told me the other day there was a ghost and it scared her. So I asked her where it was and she pointed to the ceiling in her room. I did not even know she knew what a ghost was. My friend thinks she got the idea from her little boy because he used that one. Or she may have seen it on a cartoon.

Now we are having a power struggle over her eating her eggs. She wants me to make them every morning and then refuses to eat them so she had a choice eat them or go to her room. She is laying on the floor whining in her room now.

11. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Except for the whiskey and horse tranquilizers. :lol:

12. 3sweeties

:muahaha: I'd use benadryl.

13. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Actually, I want to change my answer, because I realized that I have a similar problem.

My baby won't let me get to sleep.

14. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

nyquil here.

15. stokenator

stokenator Well-Known Member

Consistently doing what you have been doing.

16. Ali

Ali Senior Member

You've medicated your child to get it to sleep? :shock:

Donna...on the eating issue...I don't punish or make them eat, but they just don't get anything else...have to wait until next meal.

17. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

i was lucky never to have this problem with mine. but i would give my mom a hard time when i was little. i was scared of the dark and i use to get a 'penny' everynight i slept with out coming and waking my mom up and after two weeks i was able to use my 'pennies' to buy something (mylittle ponies) and that was a reward that i wanted so i would always try and stay in my bed. It didn't always work cause I had that problem til i was 8 :dry: so i made sure i didn't coddle my girls when they were babies so that they didn't 'need' mommy time to fall alseep.

18. 3sweeties

Lighten up I was joking.:slaphands:

19. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

i've done it before when i had to fly when they were 6months old the doc said it would help me having two babies on a plane by myself :help:

• Like Like x 1
  20. magdalynaa

magdalynaa Jabber Jaws

"Monster Away" - that's awesome. :lol:

We have the occasional monster problem. We found out that the psychotic baby's mama is telling the 2-year-old that there are monsters in OUR house. :suicide: We didn't really know what to do because that totally took us by surprise. We told Joli that our Doberman is a Certified Monster Hunter... that if there were any monsters in the house, Nadja would have hunted them down and eaten them by now... and did you just see what she did to that stuffed animal? Well, she would have done about 100 times worse if that had been a monster. :ninja:

Donnajo, is she scared of the dark? We had this problem with Jai getting out of bed a lot during the night ("my tummy hurts," "I can't sleep," etc. ), and since we got her another nightlight, it's pretty much stopped. I'm still scared of the dark, so I understand that one.

The eggs... I wouldn't make her eat them. But if that's what you make, and she refuses to eat, then she'd have to wait until the next meal to eat. I'm amazed at what kids will eat when you break it down like that to them.