Pre-workout nutrition/digestion early AM

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Phoeff, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Phoeff

Phoeff Member

I've tried searching but I'm not finding an answer, so sorry if this has been covered before.

Anyway, if you workout early AM have and have a meal (Gatorade & whey, oats and eggs, etc.) does that food digest in time to "fuel" your workout?

I know "fasted" cardio or weights is not a good thing. I've done both and I've run out of steam so i don't do it anymore. But am I using that pre-workout food for fuel?

2. Swiss

Swiss Member

If I workout very early, I have just half of my first meal (egg whites and oatmeal) about 30 minutes before I go to the gym. Right after training, I have my PWO meal. Then, about an hour or so after that, I finish the rest of my first meal.

3. Erik

Erik Admin

Nice. I suggest this to clients quite often.

4. 3sweeties

3sweeties Well-Known Member

I'm going to try this. I have a hard time gagging down that first meal.

5. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

great suggestion.

another suggestion- you could sip a diluted (1 L ) mix of maltodextrin/dextrose and whey isolate during your workout.

then have PWO meal and regular meals planned from there out.

depends on diet plan though- and if you are working with a trainer you'd need to cross it by them.

6. jrb1980

jrb1980 Well-Known Member

Good idea. I have never thought about this but that is a great idea. I usually have half of my third meal - some carbs/protein - but this might work better

7. Swiss

Swiss Member

I know...you're the one who suggested it to me. :funny:

8. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Yup, I cut my meal in half. Works best for me and I don't hurl at the gym.

9. Sarawithanh

Sarawithanh Banned

I'm weird. I NEED to have all of Meal 1 before training or else I start to crash - I have issues w/ my blood sugar (undiagnosed, my dad has same issues, we just know how to deal w/ them properly).....for instance, for Bikram Yoga class they say to eat a "light" meal of like fruit and something else about 2-3 hrs BEFORE class...I tried that, felt like hurling....instead, I usually have a bowl of oatmeal and fruit about an hour before class and its perfect....diffn't strokes for diffn't folks I believe.

10. absolut_blonde

absolut_blonde Procrastinatrix

I'm the same way. I can eat a fullsized meal, drive to the gym 10-15 minutes away, and work out immediately without a problem. (Well, it wasn't great the time I OD'd on guacamole and turkey burgers pre-workout :finger: but that was a one time thing).

Waiting even an hour after eating before an intense workout is often too long for me. Which is actually kind of irritating as it can make logistics a bit trickier.

11. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Just doing research and found this and I'm still always wondering what to eat before I work out. I usually have half a bowl of cereal (usually Kashi or Ezekiel) with either protein or goat's milk.

However...

I've been sipping Beverly's Glutamine Select which is a mix of glutamine and BCAA's during my workout. I have been wondering, am I negating the effects of this stuff by eating before hand and/or would it work to just drink that during my workout instead of eating before the workout? I'm thinking no, but just to wonder...