Preworkout nutrition

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by fluteangel, Apr 13, 2009.

1. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Preworkout nutrition questions:

Does it have to be protein/carbs? Is fat ok preworkout? Why or why not?

Should you wait a certain amount of time (especially if fat is involved) or does it just matter how steely your stomach is?:naughty:

2. Erik

Erik Admin

Doesn't have to be no. It's definitely my approach these days (a la nutrient timing, etc.) but for the longest time I used to do protein/fat pre-workout.

That was fine as well.

I think a good hour is about right for slower digesting stuff.

3. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

In regards to the nutrtient timing, is it less optimal because the fat slows digestion too much and you want the nutrients readily available?

4. Erik

Erik Admin

Well, depending on what your pre-workout carbs are, they could help with the workout, and this effect could differ based on the composition of the rest of your diet (look at TKDs - no carbs except for pre- and post-workout).

Or, given digestion times, the substrates could be through the system and available for use in the PWO period - quicker than the actual PWO meal.

The pre-workout P/C research suggests this since pre-workout nutrition drinks had greater PWO protein synthesis and anabolic responses than a comparably consumed PWO nutrition drink. The validity of this might be questioned due to the fact that these types of studies are done on otherwise fasted subjects, (broken in the one group by the pre-workout supplement), but it still at least suggests something happening there.