Prior competitors....are you OVER IT?

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by straitshooter, Apr 14, 2008.

1. straitshooter

straitshooter Active Member

Hope i don't get flamed here from all the current competitors...:) But, i thought i would see if there are any PRIOR competitors, that, for whatever reason(s), have decided that it's not worth it for you anymore? all the headaches of measuring your food, etc, and everything that goes along with it?

I have only done 3 shows (not a whole lot, i know), but my current career doesn't allow me the flexibility and time required to compete anymore. In addition, I just don't like my life when diet/training is the CENTER of it....I find i took time and money away from other things in my life that really needed it :(.

I still train and do cardio every day that I am home, and i try and do cardio on the days i travel....but i don't kill myself over it. I am working on not stressing about eating out at restaurants (i am gone so much that restaurant eating is 3 times a day) but i bring shakes for the other mid-meals. I am heavier than i used to be, obviously, but I now enjoy the gym and also am glad that i can eat and have some wine when i want to! :)

Just thought that there are a lot of good sources of information sharing here on this forum and thought this would create some good discussion.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Erik

Erik Admin

You and I just discussed this - I'll be interested to see what people say as well.

3. Erik

Erik Admin

Do you not think you could still compete AND find balance in various aspects of your life?

4. straitshooter

there's just no way i can do what it takes to compete successfully, with the current travel schedule i have. If anyone knows how it can be done, Please tell me! I'd like to know! LOL

I have always said that maybe, MAYBE i'd consider doing another show IF i got a job that was an office job, 9-5 type thing, but i like my salary and i'm paid for the inconvenience of high travel :(.

5. RpH

RpH I'm actually educated

Of course I don't compete, but when I reach my goal, I will be a lot like you. I'll still workout, exercise, and eat smart, but not to the extent I am now. Like you, it's difficult with my schedule to be 100% committed. You and I think a lot alike.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

First off...no way you would get flamed for that post :)

I can imagine traveling it would get hard to 'count' everything. But I have to say that I don't think the whole weighing of food is hard. To me, that is just the way I would eat if i was competing or not :shrug:

As for the training stuff. That for me is MY time. So again, competing or not..I am there and I love it. It is either that--or hurt members of my family :funny:

Then last...my prep isn't as brutal as what some others seem to have to go through. Now that isn't to say that it isn't challenging but I have seen much worse and know that if that is what it took for me...then yes, I would have to...for time reasons alone, call it quits. I have other things in my life that take of a ton of time (kids :) ) and that would have to come first for me.

• Like Like x 3
  7. fitmonkey

fitmonkey Well-Known Member

I've only done one show, but I didn't handle the rebound very well, and if ask my husband I didn't handlle prep well either. I was apparently a beast if you ask him. I think hes just never seen me driven before as I'm so laid back, until I 'm working to achieve a goal on a timeline.
    I LOVED competing but I don't know that I have what it takes. I've thought a lot about it, and my family comes first. My first duty now is to my baby and husband. I am a SAHM, but work part time evenings when hubby's home. I've got a full plate.
    Someday I believe I will do it again, but as I will be TTC soon, it will be years before that happens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brooke21

Brooke21 PUSH IT!

I haven't done very many shows, and I sure haven't competed at the level of many of the others on this board, but I definitely have the love/hate thing with competing.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE to train, but I find it difficult to stay motivated with the diet. I see my friends going out and having drinks and dinner together, and I sometimes feel left out. I thought that I would take this year off and try something different- i.e. just eating healthy, having a few "free" meals a week, and continuing to train. I discovered that I really miss the "getting ready for a show" experience.

I also have found it difficult to get lean without having a show in my near future. I would like to find a middle ground for myself- I have not ever handled the rebound well, either- but I just haven't found it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Anca

Anca Well-Known Member

I only did 2 shows and I don't consider myself "genetically gifted" for competing. I don't have a lot of muscle and I'm already 32. But I did have fun getting on stage, seeing how lean my body can get, and knowing that I "did" it. I'm competing again in the fall and it might be the last round of shows I do. Or it might not. Who knows, even if I take a few years off, I may still do it again in the future in the Masters category.
    I'm like Noel, I would eat this way and work out even if I didn't compete. I've just done it for so many years that anything else feels weird. Plus, I would probably gain weight. Not probably- definitely.

10. fitcajungirl

fitcajungirl Member

Well I haven't been here in a while, so HEY!

Yes, I am over it. 10 shows in 3 years and thats enough for now. I have found something else in my life that involves a big physical demand that will not allow me to diet/train for a show properly to be competitive. (I teach Zumba classes--intense Latin Dance fitness-- and have made it my career) I love competing, and I have no regrets and I learned so much especially how to get a rockin body which I am working to keep. But sometimes I think that things in life are for a season. Now I am moving onto something else. I thought long and hard and realized that I had to make a choice. I had to decide between something that was a bit self involved, had to pay $$ for it and in the end for ME, I found wasn't all it was cracked up to be (politics). Now I can spend the same energy and passion inspiring people to exercise and instead get paid and I must say it is much more fulfilling. And I am not saying that I will never compete again, I love that sparkly bikini! But yes, I am over it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. fatty27

fatty27 Member

This is a great thread!! I'd love to hear what everyone has to say about this topic.

For me, my very 1st show is this May. And I already know that I will be taking a least 1 year before my next show, if I enjoy this one enough of course. I have stated many times in my journal that I love to eat, I love finding a new receipe. Keeping to my diet is really easy for me, I eat when I'm supoosed to and eat what i have been told to a T, BUT...I do love to indulge here and there, which is bad when in prep mode. Food makes me happy, food that I can not eat on this diet.
    I do miss getting together with friends and finding the newest restaurants in town. Going out just for coffee 1x a week is getting annoying. Not having a social life gets to me sometimes.
    But for now...I will see how I feel at the end of this period. Will it be worth it (yes I am sure it will) or will I realize it was great, but not for me. I will be happy either way. Knowing I reached an incredible goal that took complete devotion and dedication, is the best feeling of accomplishment.

• Like Like x 2
  12. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

complete :ditto: (except I did 3 shows) I don't think I will do it again, and looking back now I see how-and I hate using this word-obsessed- I was with everything...looking back I'm damn proud of most of it, but I can't believe how so many things I didn't enjoy or felt I "couldn't" enjoy b/c I had to count those calories (i'm talking outings, family things etc) and dreaded family functions b/c I didn't want to get those looks and comments...don't get me wrong I still know how to eat healthy etc...and I know there are lots out there who can remove themselves from eating/drinking= fun, but I guess I'm not one of them:oops:
    and also I don't think I will ever have the body for it now--I didn't think my pregancy would do that much damage but my stomach still sucks so bad, like tons of saggy skin, stretch marks, etc :( and my shoulders I have come to the conclusion will never look as nice as they should w/o some type of enhancment...we'll see though, it is really hard to think postively when I don't even have a gym memembership right now!:shock:

13. Trinity

Trinity Member

This is a really interesting topic! I have heard mention of the whole rebound thing after competing before. Does this happen to everyone? Or do some competitors have an easier time with it then others?

14. Erik

Erik Admin

It's more prevalent with those that do boatloads of steady state cardio in their prep. Much more prevalent.

15. Trinity

Trinity Member

Why is that? Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult. :D

16. Audrey

Audrey Well-Known Member

No, it does not necessarily happen to everyone, although it CAN definitely happen to some. I've personally never experienced it, but I do know some competitors that go through some type of rebound after each and every show.

I think one of the keys in avoiding post-contest rebound is to have a plan for after the show. Too many competitors focus on the 12-16 weeks leading up to the show, only to find themselves without any sort of goal once the show is over. Create a nutrition and training plan for after the show, reflecting what you would like to accomplish during your off-season (it could be to focus on improving some of your lifts, a lagging bodypart...).

Also, make sure you bring your calories up slowly after the show and spend some time eating at maintenance to upregulate/normalize your hormones before going into mass gaining/bulking mode (if this is your goal for the off-season).

Another point is that although it feels nice to have a good tasting meal after the show to celebrate with your family and friends, don't go hog wild and start eating everything in sight for the next 2-3 days. Remember that it is just food... and now that you are no longer dieting for a show, you WILL have an opportunity to enjoy some of those treats during your off-season by planning some free meals during your week. So enjoy that nice meal (or some treats) after the show, but keep things in moderation.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2008
    • Like Like x 2
  17. fatty27

fatty27 Member

Sorry of the subject for a sec. But Audrey, the baby pix is so adorable, like a little doll.

Ok on the subject again, I was a little sad when I learned that I couldn't just start eating what I wanted right after my show....messing up your metabolism and loosing all you worked so hard for right in the first week. So I totally agree with you. Having a diet plan for after your show is a great way to maintain what you work so hard for and slowly easing in the foods you love and need to gain mass.

I made a list of all the foods I really want to eat after my show and put them in order of when I can ease them in and how often while still eating my contest diet for a couple weeks after the show. Because watching your lean muscular body disappear is way to depressing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. straitshooter

thank you everyone for your comments. :)

19. lynne12

lynne12 Member

:ditto:

i only did one show but still have a goal of doing another. I look back on that one show and think about all the time and prep and measuring and couting meals. It was difficult - and I had to do some travel for work so measuring and putting all my meals into tupperware and taking them on the plane, and then checking to make sure I'd have a fridge in my hotel room, and making sure i'd have lots of ice packs to keep the meals cold during travel - we're talking crazy. not to mention that when going out to business lunches, away form home, and breaking out the tupperware?!? really hard.

Now, i've had my third child and, like andi, with no gym membership (long story) and trying to workout at home with baby - it's not gonna happen for at least a year or so. it has to go on the backburner for now. So the cool looking abs aren't there this year, but something's gotta give!!

20. straitshooter

WOW, it's really nice to hear that someone had to do some travelling while on prep! It really isn't managable, is it? I was gone, overnight, 3-4 days per week, with required dinners and functions that i simply could NOT break out the tupperware or i would have gotten smacked on the head by my boss! LOL Good on you for getting that show done and with kids, no less. Best of luck to you in your future goals!