PWO Meals

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Erik, Jun 28, 2007.

1. patti

patti Active Member

The only coconut stuff I've seen is usually pretty high in fat...do you know of some that is not?? Do tell!

Some of us still like the puffed rice or Kamut b/c you can have a really big serving of it. My PWO today was leftover brown rice (about 120g, I think) with 3 oz unsweetened almond milk, 3 oz +/- cold water, 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (to thicken the mixture) and 2-3 g SFFF vanilla pudding mix & 2-3g powdered stevia, splash of vanilla. Mix up well. Then after my workout I mix in my scoop of Iso zero carb vanilla PP. It makes a quick, cool rice 'pudding'. Sometimes I'll lightly crush up a few cinnamon Puffins cereal to top.
    I've also used Corrine's Bread pudding recipe - subbing rice in for the bread (again, b/c it's more) - as both a PWO and a breakfast, but this is fast & easy. Plus I've been avoiding eggs for awhile as they were bloating me a bit.

Ileen, if you happen to see this I have a question for you. I've always had Iso PP zero carb PP as my PWO protein as that was what I used prior to starting w/LBC. So if I switch over to Trutein, it has something like 6 carbs/serving, I think. Would those carbs then count towards my 30-32g of carbs PWO?

2. patti

patti Active Member

I did make some brown rice yesterday using water +one can of coconut water. I hadn't realized until AFTER i'd cooked up the rice & tasted it (it definitely had a sweeter taste!) that I realized the coconut water had sugar added. The whole can amounted to about 26g carbs, so I'm not sure how I'd factor that into my macros when portioning out the rice for myself....
    Coconut Manna....peaked my interest!! Off to google!:lol:

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

do you want snack or actual food.

english muffins and bagels are much more dense. A potato or swt tator.
    some rice cakes are pretty high cals (like 60) or so.

Im alway hungry and want more, that would be a welcome side effect!

4. rainy

rainy Meat-building phase

Where do you live? I live in Denmark and you can find bagels in both the frozen and packaged section over here, but no english muffins, I buy them when in London :naughty:

5. Emma

Emma Member

Aussie chicks, I stumbled on another good PWO yesterday. With Xmas coming all the snack food is on even more prominent display than usual and I walked past a wall of Movietime Coloured Popcorn yesterday arvo and thought hmmmmmm.

It was a bit of a nostalgia trip, I hadn't given it a 2nd thought since kids parties when I was small. A 150gm pack gives 5 30gm serves at 120cals a go. I divvied mine into zip lock bags and added two choc coated mini rice cakes to bring the cals up to 155.

I work out in the morning so I shower, scull a protein shake and dash out the door to work with my PWO in a zip lock bag made up in advance. I felt a bit goofy sitting on the train munching on coloured popcorn this morning but it tasted good, especially when you get one with extra sugar on it :popcorn:

6. drama5

drama5 Member

Hi all. thought I'd add in my PWO snack, its home made (takes about 30 minutes for me) and lasts me a week so 1 bar a day. I didn't invent, it I found it on you tube of all places lol. here's the link if your interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv-LcIC5gtc Was hoping on you thoughts of the ingredients & the Macros are something like this....

160 cals

21 carbs

4g Fat

13g Protein

7g Sugar

1.5g Fiber

I did however add 1/2 a cup of unprocessed Bran as I thought it was a bit wet/sticky..... Here's the ingredients.

2 cups 100% oatmeal (quakers)
    1 cup protein powder (choc or vanilla)
    1/4 cup peanut butter
    1/4 cup honey
    1/3 cup dried cranberries
    1/4 chopped almonds
    1/4 almond milk
    1/4 apple purée
    1/4 70% dark choc
    1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Add dry ingredients in one bowl and mix well.
    Add wet ingredients and microwave for 30 sec, Stir and re microwave for 30.
    Add wet to dry and mix well.
    Spray oven tray with oil and line with baking paper.

....oh and my kids love them lol....lunch box snack....

Would love to hear your thoughts!!!!

7. Inatic

is that all you are eating, just the bar?

8. patti

patti Active Member

Looks yummy, for sure, but as a PWO??
    Isn't it a bit high fat for a PWO? :shrug:

I stay away from fruit PWO, and looks like you need more carbs & protein

9. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

Too low in protein if that's all you're having pwo. Honestly, these look great as a lunch box snack, but not so great as pwo (even if you're using it as your carb source; you'll want more of your calories to come from carbs if this is your carb source pwo and you're having a separate protein).

10. lesliemirinda

lesliemirinda Member

Fat is below 5 which is ok but def not enough protein post workout!

11. drama5

drama5 Member

I do have a whey protein shake with it, then have a meal about 1.5 hours afterwards. Am i on the right track as a PWO with that shake included included??? And I thought I was eating too much lol.... Newbie haha!!

12. patti

patti Active Member

From PWO Question thread in Beginner Training & Nutrition: "I'm trying to figure out exactly what my PWO meal should consist of. Is there a formula for figuring how many calories it should have or what the protein/carb/fat breakdown should be? My current goals are fat loss and maintaing muscle while on the wait-list. I have my current calories set at BWx12. The PWO's I've been eating seem carb-lite/protein-heavy compared to what I read others are having. Thanks in advance for any guidance."

Erik's reply: "For dieting purposes, I would say most often I give clients a range of 30-33g of carbs not to exceed 160 calories.

That's really the only two variables I advise on. And it sure shouldn't come from fibrous vegetables, and I'd prefer not fruit."

Mind you, this is for someone who is trying to lean down.
    As long as the PWO is within 30 minutes post workout, your next meal 1.5 hours afterward is okay.

13. lterman

lterman New Member

I just need some clarification on something. :)

So using the 30-33g of carbs for someone dieting...that equates to 120-132cal which is deducted from 160 giving you 28-40 cal. So, then I have to adjust the scoop from my protein powder Trutein to meet the leftover calories? Is that right?

14. Inatic

the 160 is the carb allowance cals.
    carbs are 4cal/1g of carb.
    THEN you add protein.
    it allows for a few grams of fat.

15. lterman

lterman New Member

gotcha! it all makes sense now!! Thanks!!!

I read this thread over 3 days and that was the only part I wasn't sure about.

I found some kettle corn popcorn at Whole Foods that I cannot wait to eat for PWO!

16. Musclefanatic11

Musclefanatic11 New Member

Whey with coconut Water, Toast and 1/2 :yum: Banana

17. runningjoy

runningjoy Member

Gluten free goodness

i have had 2.5 slices of Udi's gluten free cinnamon raison bread after every workout this week...along with my protein shake. which i get the girls at my gym to make in there high powered blenders. it really puffs it up. YUMMY! the bread is to die for....literally. if someone even comes near me its :catfight: game. on. lol.

18. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

LOVE that bread! It's really good as French Toast too!

19. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

I love cin raisin bread! Do you blend the bread up in the shake?

20. jamistar77

jamistar77 Well-Known Member

I read somewhere to also keep fiber low for PWO?? I didn't think that it would be an issue.. right? I love oat bran PWO mixed with a scoop of Chocolate Trutein. Tastes just like a HUGE bowl of chocolate malt o meal! SWEET!