Seitan O'Greatness

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Pandora, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Pandora

Pandora Well-Known Member

Those of you who know me know I won't steer you wrong when it comes to food. This is no exception. People seem to wonder how vegans get their protein... well, this is one of my favorite all-time foods. It's kind of like pepperoni or salami. Trust me on this and try it. This is one of the recipes from the cookbook I am writing and it is really tasty. I included a bunch of photos on the process and a nutritional breakdown.

I sometimes slice it up for sandwiches, cook it up in taco seasoning for tacos, served it on its own with gravy... it's very flavorful and very very versatile. I also have about ten other versions of this, all with different flavors, but this is the basic one. I usually make these two at a time because with vegetarians or meat-eaters these logs do not last long in my house.

I go by "Lachesis" on the PPK, which is a vegan forum and this is where I originally posted it. In a few months the thread got up to around 45,000 views, so trust me on this and go make some right now.

And I know the spices probably look odd, but just trust me- it works.

Seitan and the Great Becoming

The Recipe O' Greatness:

Ingredients:
    1.5 cups vital wheat gluten
    1/4 cup nutritional yeast
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp cumin
    1-2 tsp pepper (I use 2 tsp)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (you can use 1/8 tsp if you like it less spicy)
    1/8 tsp allspice
    2 tsp garlic powder

3/4 cups water
    4 tbsp tomato paste
    1 tbsp tamari
    2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
    2 tbsp vegetarian Worcestershire sauce

(*** You can just use 3 tbsp soy sauce or Tamari sauce if you can't find vegen/vegetarian Worcestershire sauce or don't want to buy it. The important thing is to keep the liquid/solid ratio the same.)

Preheat oven to 325°.

In a large mixing bowl mix dry ingredients. Mix the rest of the ingredients (liquid ingredients) in a smaller mixing bowl. Whisk well until mixed.

Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients. Mix well, then knead for a minute or two.. it doesn't need long.

Form into a log (7-8" longish), wrap tightly in foil, twisting ends. Bake for 90 minutes. When done baking, unwrap and leave out to cool all the way. Then wrap it foil or plastic and refrigerate. Slice to use as desired.

Nutritional Info
    The entire log has:
    1134 calories
    32g fat
    63g carbs
    158g protein

I did a photodocumentary on it... hehe... ok, not really... but I did take pictures.

The Pictures
    This is just after the wet and dry ingredients are mixed:
    [​IMG]

This is after kneading well and forming into a log:
    [​IMG]

This is all wrapped up nice and tight in the foil about to go in the oven:
    [​IMG]

Fresh out of the oven:
    [​IMG]

It can slice like pastrami!
    [​IMG]

Or you can cut it into chunks (notice the pastrami-type slice is missing... yum...)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Pandora

*** You can leave out the nutritional yeast if you can't find it. Most health food stores have it in the bulk bins. I think it adds a richness to the tastes and plenty of B12, but it's not absolutely necessary... just maybe reduce the liquid slightly.

I know "nutritional yeast" sounds weird, but it's honestly an awesome food.

3. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

Oh Pandora!!!!! Thanks you! so much you really made my day! I cannot wait to try this. It looks so good and I am really intrigued by the spices. Again thanx
    Sarah Lou
    P.S: I would put a big smiley but I don't know how to do that

4. patriciaann

patriciaann Active Member

OMG!!! Pandora! That was sooo good! I was sick all weekend but finally felt better last evening so I decided to make the recipe. It smelled so good that I had a piece last night before bed - it was so soft and fluffy and spicy good!! and then decided I was going to have another for breakfast this morning - had it with my coffee and it was even better this morning.
    Thanks so much for sharing your recipe!!

5. Pandora

It really firms up into a very "meaty" texture the next day, too. I'm so glad you liked it!!!!!

6. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

looks good! Where do you buy vital wheat gluten?

What's the website for PPk?

7. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

I will so buy a copy of your cookbook. You rock in that area! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1