Should I pay or not?

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Carrie, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Carrie

Carrie My 3 babies!!!

My babysitter that is. I have an in-home babysitter for my little one and my office is closing for a week during the holidays so I won't need her to work. Should I pay her or not pay her that week off??
    Bearing in mind she's a little overpaid for the going rate around my area and I'm pretty strapped because of how much I'm already paying her. What would you do??

2. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Did you give her any advance notice?

3. Carrie

Carrie My 3 babies!!!

I just got the news about the office closing today, so I will be giving her about 2 weeks notice.

4. Erik

Erik Admin

I don't think so.

5. jlb001

jlb001 www.fitweardesigns.com

Are you getting paid for that week off?

6. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

With 2 weeks notice, I don't see it as being necessary.

7. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

Are you ready to hire someone else?

That would be the worst case scenario.

I had to pay for my dd day care whether she was there or not for holidays/etc now this is a little difference she is an individual and not a corporation.

I guess it might boil down to what kind of relationship do you have with her....does she like working for you? etc.

8. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

:yeahthat:

and did you give her advance notice? Are you giving her a Christmas bonus?

9. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Do you have a contract with her?

10. chelleashley

chelleashley Banned

:yeahthat: cause I know a lot of sitters have contracts where you only get two weeks of the year where you don't pay them...:shrug:

11. Carrie

Carrie My 3 babies!!!

I am getting paid for my week off, but I work for a huge corporation so it's a different story.
    I don't have a contract with her, it's quite informal. She's asked me to pay her cash so she won't have to pay taxes. This makes me feel like I'm not her employer "officially" so things like paid vacations, sick days...etc would be expected if perhaps I was able to claim the payroll expense as a formal employer. I guess it's just a matter of ethics...I don't want to be tacky and not pay her, but I don't want to be a sucker either :shrug:

12. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

In that case, maybe offer her half of her salary for that week and call it a Christmas bonus.

13. Meechel

Meechel Enjoying the summer!

good advice.

14. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

I would pay her....what if she depends on that money....
    I dunno, that's just me. :shrug:
    Use the week to go Xmas shopping and have her watch the baby so you feel like you aren't 'being a sucker'

15. Patyal

Patyal I'm reinventing myself

This might be off topic but... you should write down a contract and pay her with check. I understand the "tax free" deal, but paying her cash you might be hurting yourself. My CPA told my ex-husband that he could deduct any expenses from babysitting, if he had some sort of evidence on the payments.

16. jlb001

jlb001 www.fitweardesigns.com

If your getting paid, I would pay her the full week or half of what you pay her.

Like everyone else that works...I'm sure she was counting on working that week and have the salary to use toward her shopping.

Don't shoot yourself in the foot.

17. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

I agree with the suggestion of giving her a bonus (either the full paycheck or at least half). You don't "owe" her to pay her, but usually those in the service industry (maids, lawn care, hair stylist etc usually get a nice Christmas tip in addition to their fees)-- the girl no doubt is depending on those funds for her own Christmas/Holiday.

That's my take. If you feel begrudgingly about it, perhaps do as Patricia suggests and have her watch your little one while you shop or attend Christmas parties or take a nice dinner out with your other half?

18. jaleena

jaleena Banned

Or she could be depending on the pay for rent/utilities/food/etc, and not just gift shopping. I understand that she's overpaid for the area, but in many areas, that doesn't mean a whole lot. If you know she'll be fine, pay half. If you don't...pay full. For most of us, we count on our employment being stable--if my workplace shuts down and it's temporary, I get full pay; if it's permanent, I get severance.

19. SusanF

SusanF Enjoying wedded bliss

I always paid my babysitter whether my kids were there or not. She depended on that salary and it's not like she could take in another kid for the week because mine wasn't going to be there.

You are like her employer. If my co. said we don't need you to come in the week after next and we're not going to pay you, I'd be pretty ticked.

Just my .02. :shrug:

I think it's totally different if she decides to take a week off and gives you notice of that - you don't need to pay her (but you are left with trying to find an alternate babysitter).

• Like Like x 1
  20. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

when i did family daycare i got paid whether the child was there or not when something came up like that wasnt pre arranged.