Social Support Networks

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Erik, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

Do you have a positive social support system at home from spouses and family and friends? I'm speaking in terms of your training/nutrition/healthy lifestyle, etc.

How important do you think this is to your success?

If you don't have a good social support system, how do you/have you overcome that? Or have you?

2. Steve

Steve Whatever

Fiance understands that it is a priority and she supports it.

I have absolutely zero close friends who understand. Through all the torment though, here are many times where they show their jealousy, which drives me. There are times where they wish they could live this lifestyle, and it makes it worth it to me.

3. Erik

Erik Admin

Follow up question ....

Do you think the online community (for example, what we have here) can fill some of that social support requirements a person might have?

4. sparkygirl

sparkygirl Well-Known Member

In my real life I don't have support at all on this matter and I think the online community it is a great way to fill the lack of support in real life. :nod:

5. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

I'm single and live with two dogs... my family is on the other side of the country.

My friends are very much not supportive and it is really hard. I continuously get the "live a little," "no one wishes they ate less ice cream on their death bed," "going dinking?"... comments. Plus one friend is convinced that I am depriving myself and I just need moderation... it works for her, but her moderation doesn't work for me!

Yeah... this is a touchy subject with me. I need more athletic/sporty type friends.

6. dolce

dolce Member

the only support i have is that my Dh respects my decision in eating healthy and being involved in working out
    however my Dh doesnt do much of it, or eats healthy at all, so in the sense i feel thats not support. From my family, i would have to say no because i'm always being critized that i am getting way "too" skinny.
    i have one friend only that is very supportive in every way, we both pushed each other and if it wasnt for her i dont think i would have gotten too much into it. She also started working w Erik a month after i started and has done unbelievable!
    how important is it for me? i would love for my Dh to someday be just as involved as i am but even if he doesnt i am very strong minded and not easily influenced by others. i guess some people would say "vain" but i like to feel good and look good so i;'ll do whatever it takes. and sure it may take years for me to finally accomplish the "body" i want, but i have nothing but time.

7. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

definately-I have very few people who support my lifestyle, and I would say my husband supports it 1/2 of the time.
    perfect ex, going away this weekend and hanging out with fitness friends really helped me with positive thinking:), I came home and wanted to eat healthy, instead of everyone here saying oh your preggy, stuff your face full.

8. 3xKrazy

3xKrazy Member

Not really.

Don't really care either.

Personally I like to surround myself with people that aren't half as nuts about this shit as I am....I think thats a good thing.

9. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

most definitely... that's why I'm here so much!

10. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

nope. I get no help at home.

I find the online community can only help so much with support cause they can tell you not to put that in your mouth but they are not there to :bitch: you and pull it away from you.

Plus I think some people lie online tell you what you want to hear sometimes.

11. dolce

dolce Member

absolutely. it makes me understand that i'm not the only person "obsessed" as others may say

12. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

This was my point to erik as well, I do have a bit more support now but when I started...I think Elizabeth was the only person that understood. My friends all think that I have an eating disorder :lol: and am too obsessive. hahaha. This forum helped get me through some really crappy times IRL.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steve

Steve Whatever

I most certainly do, at least in my own personal experience. Before I started chatting on forums, such as this, I had a void. That being, having absolutely no one I could speak with about training/nutrition.

When you find a group of people with similar passions, at least for me, the interaction with these people fuel my drive.

When you are surrounded by people IRL who don't care so much about their bodies, it is difficult to stay motivated. Their lack of motivation is contagious.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

Yes, I do. Even though much of my family doesn't understand what I do, or why I do it, they support me. It seems they'll never understand sometimes, when I'm saying "no! not even one bite" :lol3:

It's been nice. But, I'm the type that thrives from what's going on inside of me. Even if they didn't support me, I'd still dig deep and do it. That's how I am.

Definitely! I get support here that my family cannot give. There are those who know what I experience and go through mentally and emotionally. My family doesn't get that part of it and can't provide the support that I get here.

15. Ali

Ali Senior Member

I do. I guess Ron would be my main (in person) support. He completely understands how I need to eat. My friends kind of make fun of me if we are doing something out and I 'can't' eat..but I usually work it out so it's a cheat meal and then no one even notices. My mom doesn't like me getting "skinny". God, I hate it when she calls me that! And my dad doesn't even acknowledge that I do this. He thinks it's kind of freaky. So, when it comes close to contest time...I don't even go there. The last month or so, we don't do much going out to eat. Ron suffers through that with me. :lol:

I think I would do this no matter what Ron or anyone else said...I think it's nice that he supports me as far as food goes, but not a must.

Now, ask me about contest prep. I absolutely could not do that without emotional support. I am a wreck a lot of the time with the ups and downs about the pressure and whether I look right or not. If I didn't have someone to support me, I couldn't do it. I think I am the type of person that needs a little more emotional support, though. I like to lean on people. This board is a HUGE part of that. HUGE. And the friends that I've made here. And then Erik...who is wonderful with listening to me about my ups and downs. He keeps me on the level.

Nope, the people close to me have no choice but to be my social support. I make them. :funny:

• Like Like x 1
  16. andi

andi anyone selling sleep?

and then the people at my work think I'm even more obsessed cause I'm on the "Fitness board" :sad::lol3:

17. Ana

Ana Think back...Move forward

:yeahthat:

Initially I had zero support from family and friends. Now I get a lot more support from my immediate family and my friends are starting to come around. I'd be lost without this board, even now that things are better IRL

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  18. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I don't know anyone who's into this lifestyle IRL and I don't give a shit.

I'm the only one responsible for my health and well-being and I'm not here to live up to anybody's expectations except my own.

I'm also self-motivated, so that helps a lot.

19. Ali

Ali Senior Member

They do NOT lie! :bitch: I look fabulous! :funny:

Bottom line, the big stuff has to come from within. You can use people to lean on a little bit, but you have to actually get up by yourself. :hug:

20. Patricia

Patricia Guest

With Ko working from 8am to either 9, 10 or midnight and another fact that I live close to no one I can call "friend" or family - my social network is slim to none.

I do have an enclave of friends and acquaintances in Portland who are all creative pros. However, I gather with them when I'm not bogged down with school for our once a month creative get-togethers. But those are few and won't be seeing any of 'em until late May.

As for this:

I don't think so. It was nice when in Portland, we would regularly see the beeg PL and strongman folks in the gym or around. And it was nice to be able to just hop and skip to fellow creatives for some critiques, kicks in the ass and good times.

It was nice to be around like-minded people on a daily basis. It's much tougher to replicate person-to-person social interaction on a board. At least that's what I've always thought.

Plus there are a lot of issues that maybe, are rather personal and it's difficult to maintain that level of closeness on a board that can be so open.

Just my thinking.