Speak to me about specializations

Discussion in 'Training' started by jills, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Jen

Jen Well-Known Member

everything is special to me

2. rainy

rainy Meat-building phase

Thanks for clarifying.
    I definitely need a specialization for my shoulders :lifter:

This is something to discuss with the Boss for my next bulk :naughty:

3. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

:lol:

4. Chicky9914

Chicky9914 Member

Did I hear you guys correctly when you said you did a bulk and then a shoulder specialization? As in, you did a specialization while leaning out? Just wanted to clarify that because on principle, I didn't think you could do specialization while dieting? Hopefully somebody can explain this to me :)

Also, you said you had some success with doing a shoulder specialization? What worked for you? Trying to get some ideas here because I'm thinking of doing one. Thanks!

5. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I think you misunderstood. Kelly said she did the specialization as part of her bulk, but at the very end of it:
    Anca said she did her specialization in the middle of a full-body bulk:

Doing a specialization while dieting would be totally useless.

6. Chicky9914

Chicky9914 Member

Okay, I did mis-read that. Now I understand what they were saying. I didn't think it was possible to do a specialization on a diet, but that's why I asked. Thanks :)

7. LifeLova

LifeLova Under construction

I would like to do this too on my next bulk (in about 7 weeks) and would like to hit my shoulders and legs pretty hard. How many times do you hit the body parts that you want to specialize in? In what rep range do you do this at?

TIA!!

8. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Lyle's Layout for a Specialization

Been reading on this and just wondered if it really matters if you need to taper volume for 2 weeks after the specialization or if you can just go ahead and switch to working other body parts and put the recovering parts on low volume.

I'm guessing not, but what I"m finding so far is that Lyle recommends volume tapering then switching the specialization to other body parts. If one doesn't want to switch, could you just switch the focus to other parts and not directly train those parts while they recover?

9. Erik

Erik Admin

When I do specialization programs I literally almost cut out the training volume for the specialized parts entirely. Very, very low amount of direct work.

Since you're referencing Lyle's methods, have you considered asking him directly?

10. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

Yes, I have...I'm reading everything I can find in the thread on his forums to make sure I don't miss anything before I ask though...don't feel like getting lambasted for something that's there that I missed. :)

Erik, a question for you - if you've ever done a glute specialization before (which is kinda tough to target), would you cut out most all lower body work when ending the specialization? I'm thinking that's not going to work as the glutes are involved in most lower body training except stuff like leg extensions, but if one is working out at home with no access to machines, there don't seem to be a lot of options to cutting out glute emphasis, KWIM?

Thanks for the feedback!

11. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

:lol:

12. Erik

Erik Admin

No such thing in isolation - it would have to be a hip dominant/posterior chain specialization since other muscles are acting.