texting

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by fit'n'healthy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Brandy

Brandy Refreshed

:girly:

Seriously, I'm gonna share something that will fall on some deaf ears, and be heartbreaking for anyone with a brain.

We have a close family member that was driving to work, NOT doing anything wrong. He hit a 12 year old boy crossing the street on his way to the bus stop and the poor kid DIED.
    He (the driver) was not found to have any fault. It was a true TRAGIC accident.

Imagine if you were doing something stupid, like texting. Try spouting some of the selfish (pointless) arguments to his parents. Imagine being the parents. Listening to someone defend what they were doing. I'd have to f up someone's world.

The driver? He is f'ed up like you would not believe. BEYOND messed up. :sad: I would not choose to be in any of their shoes.

Pay attention when you drive. Period. I'm sure whatever you have to say can wait until you get home.

• Like Like x 4
  2. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Well said.Brandy I want to give you a hug. :hug:

3. Brandy

Brandy Refreshed

:lol:

I bolded the most important part. How can you defend drunk drivers?

4. fit'n'healthy

fit'n'healthy Senior Member

Sorry, but I text A LOT and know that it takes more than 2 seconds to even start typing...

5. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Actually, this isn't true.

Think of a car hitting a wall at 60mph. The car stops dead; the impact is 60mph.

Now think of the same car traveling at the same speed hitting another identical car also traveling at 60mph head-on. The car stops dead; the impact is still 60mph, not 120mph.

[/physics lesson]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  6. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

I didn't read the Tuesday thread, whatever it was, but I'm reading this one. :shrug:

Besides, why add fuel to a needlessly burning fire?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ames

Ames Rocking the stage!

:funny: :lol:

8. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

I agree it isn't the smart thing to do...but, I am definitely guilty of it. :oops:
    I can do it without looking though....but, yes, it does keep me from being 100%.

9. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

:blink: Yeah... its the mom's fault that her daughter was killed. Some moron runs a stop sign (at any speed) and rams into another vehicle, while texting and kills a 3yr old kid. But surely the mom must have been doing something wrong too. :uhuh:

Perhaps if she'd been doing everything right, it would've been really cool for the idiot to run a stop sign and hit her. If she'd been doing everything right, her daughter might have survived the collision, caused by Miss Text & Drive. Or maybe if she'd been doing everything right she could've avoided the collision altogether... by swirving out of the way of the happy texter... and allowing her some text & drive space. :unsure:

C'mon, Michelle! It doesn't matter what the other party was doing. That person failed to stop! While texting!

Or maybe it was just that 3yr old's time to go. Maybe someone should console the mom with that idea. Oh well, whatchya gonna do?...God's plan... sorry, lady but today was your kid's turn. :shrug: The text & drive bitch is innocent! Doesn't matter what she does... if its someone's time to go... they're going. If nobody dies, tomorrow when she runs a red light, must not be anybody's time to go. :sad: :confused:

10. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

now work out the energy from each participant, which is different than a fixed object.

11. KaPow

KaPow Senior Member

I find it hard to believe that anyone with kids (or without for that matter)would not reconsider texting while driving after reading that article...

12. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

I would, but I wanted to leave something for you to do. :angel4:

13. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

Most people aren't qualified to drive cars, period. The dumbshittery that accompanies driving, such as this, is part of why.

• Like Like x 1
  14. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

Love that word. Too funny.

• Like Like x 1
  15. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

I sucked at physics. Was one of the worst classes for me. I actually had to think. :lol:

16. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Kinetic energy would be the same. Potential energy would be different.

17. PowerManDL

PowerManDL Banned

No it wouldn't.

KE for one vehicle != same as KE for two vehicles w/ independent motion.

Momentum's different in both cases as well.

18. fit'n'healthy

fit'n'healthy Senior Member

The article actually said the guy ran the stop sign at 45 mph. Maybe that changes your thought process, Michelle? I don't think you can say the child wasn't buckled in properly and blame the mom on that one...

19. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

well the debate last night was about a woman( cause everyone knows they can drive) and she was driving 10 mph. 45 and running a stop sign is deadly even if you are not on the phone. I'm not that stupid. And they have done studies that more then half of carseats are not belted properly. Have you ever shaken those things if its not in right one minor stop and the seat goes flying. I was one of the mothers that took my carseat to the firedept when they had the safty day and they told me i did it right.

20. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

I think the point was that collisions can be harmful, at any speed. And that person probably wouldn't have run the stop sign, if they'd been paying attention, instead of texting. You can come up with all kinds of hypothetical scenarios about other distractions... or even real situations, where other distractions have caused accidents. Fact remains, this person was texting at the time... and that was most likely the distraction. And easily avoidable one at that.

Good for you for making sure your carseat passes safety inspection. But you can't assume that mother hadn't done the same. Why do you insist on suggesting ways this might have been the mother's fault. Who knows? maybe her carseat wasn't belted properly... maybe it was. Maybe she wasn't driving as defensively as she could have been. Maybe she could've dodged the other vehicle... maybe not. Maybe.. maybe.. maybe... But, any way want to slice & dice it... she would not have been hit if that driver had stopped at the sign!!! :grrr: