Thanksgiving - my mothers menu

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Erind, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Erind

Erind Member

Hey folks

So we are having Thanksgiving this weekend,my husband and I are going to my mother's on Saturday night for dinner. I ask her what I can bring, of course she says nothing, but then her menu is all the bad stuff, glazed baby carrots, sweet potato (brown sugar and butter of course) green bean casserole and pies for dessert, I even offered to bring a sugar free/ crustless pumpkin pie. Again she has shot me down.
    I have asked her to leave carrots aside without the sugar and butter and plain beans. Now she is suggesting that if I am not going to be eat all the gooey fattening stuff to save it for when I cook a meal. Nice, thanks mom.
    I have a brother in law that is obese, diabetic, hig blood pressure, high cholesterol that has been trying to watch his diet. It isn't like I am the only one.
    So I will bring my own to her place.
    Sorry I am a little mad about this, has anyone else dealt with this before ? :(

2. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

I have a similar problem, the other way around. I do all the cooking and try to make things without all the butter and sugar and stuff, but the rest of the family complains that I'm skimping on the "good" stuff. I try to make the food tasting with natural ingredients and leave the fattening stuff for the pies. But alas, I get the usual banter about my "dieting" and they aren't crap. I don't diet, I just watch what I eat and I will make a few things for them that are loaded. Hey, it's their arteries, not mine :)

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

most of my family doesnt follow anything resemblig health. I make dishes to share that are, so others have a choice..

4. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Sorry your mom isn't being more supportive and understanding. Personally, I usually choose to have an 'anything goes day' on Thanksgiving. But if I were to choose to keep it an 'on plan day', my family would have no problem reserving some items without all the ooey-gooey stuff... or with me bringing things of my choice.

5. Erind

Erind Member

Thanks everyone

I know I can bend the rules but I just prefer not too, I am still struggling with the ' if I can relax now then I may as well go all out" and I want to make choices that are good for my body, a green bean casserole is not, neither is pie and ice cream. I think I would be okay with it if she would have said, sure bring something along.
    I will bring my own veggies not laiden in butter and sugar !

6. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

Reading this reminded me of this blog by Scott Abel. Of course if you are on a time line and cannot "cheat" during the holidays for a certain reason of course you shouldn't. But there is something to be said by embracing tradition and enjoying food that people prepared with love in mind too. I dunno. Just another perspective.

http://scottabel.blogspot.com/2010/11/here-we-go-again-same-old-industry.html

• Like Like x 1
  7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

that is what most of us do. Enjoy the dinner (it is thanksgiving!) i used to just use it as my free meal.

8. Erind

Erind Member

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input, a very good article indeed, while the main reason for getting together is to be spending time with the family, I will eat what I eat, but I will bring mashed cauliflower for everyone to enjoy, and not worry about it.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

I don't have to worry about this this year, as I'll unfortunately be doing Thanksgiving by myself - probably chicken and vegetables. :lol:

10. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

That was a fantastic post, really highlights the damaging connection of shame & food and the joy of the holidays. Thank you for sharing.