The Genetics No One Talks About (Part 1)

Discussion in 'Competitors Corner' started by Erik, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Sarcee

Sarcee Member

I'm so glad I read this post. :) Thank you guys for bubbling this one up to the top again.

2. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

:buddies:

3. fluteangel

fluteangel Well-Known Member

That's a very healthy attitude, I love it and I feel the same way! :thumbup:

I couldn't have said it better myself. The one comp I did I followed the advice of the big name guru and not only did he leave me starving on competition day with no way to get ahold of him, he gave me NO information on what to do AFTER the competition. On came the 20+ lbs. and after that, years of yo-yo dieting and binge eating and mental anguish trying to get back to that body I had....He got his money and that was all that mattered to him I guess. :shrug:

4. Phoenix17

Phoenix17 Member

So glad I read this post! I did a boot camp with a trainer who got girls ready for competitions, she would tell me I had a body for it, no clue what she meant by that, but took it as a compliment. She was also a fitness competitor herself. Never decided to compete though, until now, in bikini, not figure, because, I might not have what it takes physically. And once I decided I wanted to do it, I e-mailed Erik to see if he would coach me.

My friend did the 12 weeks figure comp course with the trainer. I had moved and missed the competition but I would get messages from my friend, sending me recipes because food looked so good but she couldn't eat it and asking me to send her hard to find items for her diet. She was in great shape before she started the figure prep but in the end she did not place but I know 2 of the 12 girls that did the comp training did, heard that 1 of the 12 had a nervous breakdown after the show, and most of them got fat afterwards.

My friend is the one who encouraged me to do a bikini comp and when I agreed, she started sending me info, things like, start doubling up on your cardio now to burn fat, take vitamin C as a diuretic, and if you're not down to what you need to be before the competition, you are going to have to boil your chicken and maybe even give up meat all together. Just eat fish. No carbs so many weeks out. Apparently I can drink sugar free red bull and eat fish.

I know she means well and I know she competed, had our trainer and another trainer, IFBB Pro bodybuilder train her after the competition, but what works for her probably won't work for me. Now I don't know what Erik's plan for me will be but I am pretty sure it's going to be a solid plan. And if we come to the conclusion that I should not do a competition, so be it. If I can be a hot momma with a great physique and confidence, that's my prize. I would like to bounce a quarter off my butt too, but that may not happen.

5. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Phoenix17

Im pretty darn sure you will not be doing any of the nonsense your friend or those other competitors are doing! Goodness, when does THAT madness ever end. :grrr:It will be so awesome to show your friend the sane proper way to prep without eating fish, double cardio and that other nonsense. You'll be sending her recipes of all the food you will be eating.

6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Apparently, never. :sad:

7. Phoenix17

Phoenix17 Member

I just keep thinking to myself, what if I didn't FB stalk my way to LBC page? What if I went on a program like that, not knowing any better?

8. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

[​IMG]

9. Millicent

Millicent New Member

Really great post...it's all about the journey and being healthy and mentally secure while doing it!:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

this has been posted on the net recently and i love it!

hey you.
    yes, YOU. stop being unhappy with yourself. you are perfect. stop wishing you'd look like someone else or wishing people would like you as much as they like someone else. stop trying to get attention from those who hurt you. stop hating your body, your face, your personality, your quirks. love them. without those things you wouldn't be, you. and why would you want to be anyone else? be confident with who you are. smile. it'll draw people in. if anyone hates on you because you are happy with yourself then you stick the middle finger in the air & say screw it. my happiness will not depend on others anymore. i'm happy because i love WHO I AM.
    i love my flaws.
    i love my imperfections. they make me, me. and 'me' is pretty amazing.​

11. marcyg321

marcyg321 Member

What a great post! It puts everything into perspective... putting my health first has always been first nature. I am so glad I found this forum. It's good to know there are knowledgeable coaches out there (like Erik and Scott) that care enough to teach the right way to do reach your goals and will be truthful with you even if it's not what you want to hear. It's scary though to think how many trainers out there don't care at all. What a shame.

Where can part 2 and part 3 be found? (or were they all combined).. excellent reading.

12. WatchThis

WatchThis New Member

X2

13. marcyg321

marcyg321 Member

Can anyone tell me if there is a Part 2 and Part 3 to this article? I am new to forums and having a hard time finding it.. if it's out there!

Thx!

14. ncfarris26

ncfarris26 Nicole

15. marcyg321

marcyg321 Member

Thx!!! that was fast! :)

16. Amrn65

Amrn65 Member

Wow....way to be truthful and tell it like it is!!!! Makes me think twice about competing now.

17. minglette

minglette Member

how do you assess someone for figure?

18. Erik

Erik Admin

Question is too vague ...

19. minglette

minglette Member

For Figure and for most aesthetic looking physiques we talk about the classic X-frame. I’ve never liked that term. Regardless, here is the truth. Physically speaking, being suited for Figure means having fairly wide clavicles and a very narrow pelvis. Let’s stop there for just a moment shall we. Never mind that nature prefers women to have wider pelvic girth as an evolutionary “tweak” in order to better ensure the propagation of the species. So this is step one, which already leaves most people out in real terms. No training is going to counter act clavicle width or pelvic girth. Then, there is the matter of having specific anatomical leverage in order to “cap” those delts on the wide clavicles.

Next, in terms of physique is high glutes. This usually goes hand in hand with a narrow pelvis but not always. To be any good in Figure competition means not having “bucket butt” or “gravity butt.”

by looking at photos of clients are you able to tell if they are suited to figure?

20. Erik

Erik Admin

For the most part. In some cases people obviously have it or obviously don't. In others, which is most cases when you consider a simply normal distribution it's more in the middle, but leaning one way or another.

Clavicle width, hip/pelvic width, etc., as he says, you can't train around those things. You can create somewhat of an illusion w/ a bigger back, more capped delts, etc., but narrow shoulders relative to a wider hip base just can't be 'beaten'.

Not to say anyone can't compete, but some just aren't cut out to doing well at it. Simply a fact.

Some aren't cut out to be great sprinters, great basketball players, or whatever. But that's not to say that EVERYONE can't make drastic improvements and move towards THEIR own best potential.

His point about metabolic resilience is HUGE however. Some can get away with prep after prep of retardedness. For others, one can do them some metabolic harm. For still others, their body will fight till death to prevent that level of leanness ... which if forced through, comes with some consequences.