The perfume diet

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Espi, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Espi

Espi perfumes, not chocolate!

Hesitating between this section or the diet section, but since I thought to ask you all about your favourites, it's better to start it here.

For the past 6 weeks I've started upon a project to wear a differnt perfume every day.

Somehow someone turned me towards buying a new perfume , which became Poême by Lancôme and my simple exclamation how much fun it would be to have a sample or miniature and try out a new one every day, led me to buying 20 samples of 1/2 ml each from a perfume decanting webshop.

As things go, whenever you have a new pass-time, it takes your thoughts away from other stuff... like thinking about food!
    Not surprisingly to come across an article (in Oprah's magazine) how things can really turn around for some that become passionate about perfume.
    I thought it was worthwhile sharing it.. here is the article (bolded part is mine)

The Perfume Diet: The Surprising Joys of Sensual Indulgences
    (How one woman traded her love affair with food for a fragrant new passion).
    by Alyssa Harad in the June 2011 edition of Oprah.

First 2 paragraphs

The samples I got were 19 (out of 20) samples deemed to be the 10 best floral and feminine perfumes by 2 critics who also wrote a book called, Perfumes, the A-Z guide.
    After obtaining the samples , I also bought the book and started reading and.. plotting & planning to find out which other samples to buy.. there's like 5000 different ones I'd like to try! I don't think I'll ever get a full-size bottle again, as this is soooo much fun!
    I do wish I had a box of miniature bottles with reference scents so I would know where everyone is talking about..

Maybe worth your pennies to try some samples too and have as much fun with it as I am.. you can read about my explorations in my log where I talk about the samples and about re-discovered perfumes I had bought before but stored away.

So... please girls, start talking about which perfumes you all like most and above all, why?
    { perfume = generic term for either eau de toilet, eau de parfum etc.}

2. Debbie

Debbie Official since 2/15/2012

Love the idea of trying a different perfume every day for 6 weeks. I've worn the same perfume forever. My husband bought me Must de Cartier when we were first married (over 25 years ago) and I'm still wearing it. Not the same bottle of course. :lol: I've tried a few others over the year but always go back to the Cartier. Not that many people wear it so I don't smell it everywhere.

http://www.cartier.us/show-me/accessories#/show-me/accessories/69317130-must-de-cartier-perfume

:cardio: Running over to check out your journal and read about what you've been sampling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Espi

4. Debbie

Yep- a really long time to stick to the same perfume. I'm either loyal or lazy. :rolleyes:

That was fun to read the reviews. I agree with the people who say you need to give it 10-20 minutes to "settle down" before judging it.

5. mackie

mackie With my hero, Brigitte Gabriel

Same here. I've been wearing the same fragrance for at least 20 years. I have tried soooooo many others over the years. But I usually don't like any of them and can hardly wait until I have time to shower it off.

I don't mind getting a brief whiff of them on other people but... I don't like them enough to wear and have the scent follow me around all day... except my one & only true love, Aromatics Elixir. It is Clinic's original fragrance and for a long time was their only fragrance. I have no idea what kinds of reviews it gets (other than that my mom doesn't like it :lol) but my review is this:
    absolutely frickin' heavenly!

There are only 3 other fragrances that I've ever really liked to wear but I got tired of each rather quickly.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Espi

[​IMG]

LOL, it's one of the few that I see with more dislikes than likes!

LOL'd at the first few reviews.. first one is a staunch supporter writing one of teh longest reviews I've seen there and 2nd one a hater!

Haterz...

7. Espi

[​IMG]

LOL, it's one of the few that I see with more dislikes than likes!

http://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/Clinique/Aromatics-Elixir-371.html#

LOL'd at the first few reviews.. first one is a staunch supporter writing one of teh longest reviews I've seen there and 2nd one a hater! Exceptionally funny too with the sugar references :)

Bolded parts is mine. Also spaced it apart as it is just run-on sentences.

Haterz...

8. Espi

Perfume of the day is Poême, the one I bought and is how I ignited my lust for testing perfumes.
    [​IMG]
    So funny how perception changes and I now can see why it was rated only 1 star as in 'avoid at all costs' because LT/TS claim it stinks.. a spray too many even can create a headache for me (fortunately it doesn't but boy is this a 'sillage monster'!

3 reviews.. 2 haters
    2 haters since I made the mistake of spraying twice.. ouch, ouch!

edit: parsimony is a new term to use.. here 'very sparingly' is a good equivalent

9. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

I don't wear perfume....don't really go anywhere to wear it....

10. mackie

The only review that matters is mine and it stays the same:
    absolutely frickin' heavenly!!

"too strong"?
    That's silly. A little dab'll do ya. Any fragrance is too strong if a person wears too much.

As for the person who said its the only perfume she can recognize on someone from 5 feet away:
    I work with the public and enounter 100's of people each week. Trust me, it is not unusual to smell someone's perfume from quite a distance. I may not recognize/identifiy them but I can definintely smell them.

But it doesn't surprise me that it gets more "dislikes" than "likes". Considering that its the only one I like, while most people like all kinds of fragrances that I don't like. :shrug:

I think I'll go put a dab on now so I can wallow in the lovely aroma while I type :cardio:

:lol:

11. Espi

Makes sense to me!
    LOL..

12. mackie

aaahhhh.... I smell heavenlyyyy.... [​IMG]

13. Debbie

I bet you do! :angel4:

I've been inspired to get some perfume samples to try. I picked up a few at the mall over the weekend. Today I tried Fracas. At first I thought it was too flowery and sweet for me but after a half hour I really liked it. The scent stayed consistent. I walked around smelling myself all day. :lol: The review from DH was not as positive. He smelled my wrist and remarked, "Smells like a urinal cake". (Urinal Cake- a solid disinfectant they put in urinals to keep the stench down.) Not the response I was looking for. I told him that I had never smelled a urinal cake but doubted that the smell was the same. My DS gave my wrist a sniff and agreed with his father. Oh well. More samples to try. This is fun!

[​IMG]

14. mackie

:lol: Next time you're at Home Depot, you'll have to open up a package of Urinal Cakes and give 'em a whiff.

I'm not opposed to trying new scents. Its just always been my experience that I rarely like one enough to wear.

I actually like more men's colognes than the fragrances that are made for women. Maybe I should be sampling the manly stuff.

15. Debbie

:lol:

Me too. I got some samples from the brand Creed. They claim their fragrances are uni-sex but the salesman told me the ones I picked were the ones that men buy. Tomorrow I'm going to try Creed Vetiver. Supposedly it was the cologne that JFK wore. I will report back.

16. Espi

This is soooo funny :) Urinal cakes.. have no idea how these smell but I get an idea.

What almost surprises me is how hubby who's the girly-guy for lack of a better word (he cares very much about clothes, hair and body care) as in other stuff he's very much like an alpha male, dislikes perfumes.. he prefers to smell 'the natural sexy smells' .

Also interesting is how after less than 2 months of applying 30-something different perfumes you're moving towards the less flower-y stuff.. as much as I loved to smell sweet flowers initially they now start to feel slightly boring.
    Today I applied another flower-y perfume, but it's not very flower-y so after having given it less points , it's now getting more.
    Odalisque by Parfums de Nicolaï (a niche brand)

[​IMG]
    As a reminder for whom hasn't read the description in my log before:
    In the Perfume Guide they are very much in favour of this one (it's one of the top 10 flower perfumes) because it would occupy a niche in perfume-land. It's a 'fresh chypre'

17. Espi

Did you check the page on your favourite perfume and see the perfumes listed on the bottom left?

It lists all of the perfumes that go along with 'if you like THIS, then you'd probably also like this..." and starts with Mitsouko from Guerlain (too complicated non-flowery for me) and Opium from Yves Saint Laurent. Did you ever try any of the ones listed? And...?

Finally found time to check the review on your favourite in my guide.. wow a whopping 5 stars which is the highest praise a perfume will get in their book!

Hadn't expected such glowing praise after seeing so many dislikes ;).. so your back is covered by the experts .

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  18. Debbie

Very cool link- Thank You! :thumb:

19. mackie

I hadn't checked it until now. I didn't know about it. But Opium and Paloma Picasso are 2 of the 3 other fragrances I've ever really liked to wear. I used to just luvvvvv them but got tired of both of them. I still like them - just not enough to wear and have them follow me around all day.

That is a cool link. I'm having fun looking at it stuff on it. Thanks for sharing.

See? I guess it takes a sophisticated pallet to appreciate such a heavenly scent. :wink:

I know that not many people like it. But I love it and so does my boyfriend. Who else matters?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
  20. mackie

OMG! :lol: Look at this review on Narciso Rodriguez for Her:

eta: (I love the bottle. Very simple and classy. Makes me want to try it.)