Total Daily Calories and planned cheats

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Cindy Day, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

So, if it's more about total daily calories in (and expenditure of course), why is it important to contain a cheat meal with in a meal (or 2 or however many you get a week) to a meal or a day versus grazing the same amount of calories during that day or through out the week?

Is it because one is not likely to keep the excess calories to the optimal amount?
    Or is there a biological, phyiscal difference in how the body handles the calories if they occur all at once or over a period of time?

• Like Like x 1
  2. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I'm going to guess that people find cheat meals more psychologically satisfying than spreading out their cheat calories.

3. cejk

cejk Senior Member

I've wondered all of this myself... thanks for starting a great thread.

4. tallblonde

tallblonde Member

:popcorn:

5. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

Well, I like to have something fun more than once a week. For me, I really don't like a big "cheat" meal all the time, and would much rather spread out the calories. I also don't look at totals day to day, but what my numbers are at the end of the week.

• Like Like x 1
  6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

This is my approach too, but I know a lot of people like to have cheat meals.

7. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I prefer daily cheats. Erik never came through w/ those even though they were requested. hmmmm :dry:

8. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

A cheat is just psychological to keep you sane.

personally they never did anything for me and I don't take them.

Refeeds are different.

9. MichelleS

MichelleS Well-Known Member

i found that if i just spread the extra cals thru the week that 'I' am more happy then having one big meal that leads to a binge.

10. ladybug

ladybug Member

like changes in leptin levels? :scratch:

:popcorn:

11. BSNJunkie

BSNJunkie Bleeds Purple

:ditto: :yeahthat:

If I got a choice I would do it this way as well. Sometimes I feel like if i'm gonna cheat I am going to make it count and have EVERYTHING I have been craving. i would rather have x number of "free calories" rather than A meal. So I'm curious to hear the answer to this.

12. Ali

Ali Senior Member

I do it that way sometimes. Like if I've been grazing a tiny bit here and there...I don't take a cheat meal.

I think the problem may be that you don't realize how many calories you are taking in grazing all the time...so nothing would be really controlled. At least with a cheat meal you can cut it off at that meal.

I like that approach better when building muscle, though...not so much when dieting...too much room for error. Not that I've ever had many cheats when dieting, though, anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ritzgal

ritzgal Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

I think that with me it's far too easy for one small handful to turn into two, which then becomes three, and you know what, that really couldn't have been so much so how much will five hurt? KWIM? At least with a meal it's done and overwith and you feel like anything more would certainly be excessive.

Now all this is completely dependent on where I am psychologically. If I'm in a bad place, I have no control.